PDA

View Full Version : ATV scrub..

b52 bomber
11-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Can a atv scrub like a dirt bike ive been doing some testing with it . and if so is it like a tilt ?

FHKracingZ
11-06-2007, 09:46 PM
its more like soaking it up than scrubbing, if anybody is the best at it , its chad wienen.

JRP
11-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
its more like soaking it up than scrubbing, if anybody is the best at it , its chad wienen.

x2

JJs450r
11-07-2007, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by JRP
x2

x3 but it seems like dunk can pull it off also

trick450r
11-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by JJs450r
x3 but it seems like dunk can pull it off also \

Dunk's been doing this as long as i can remember watching him on a track...i remember seeing everyone slow down and then him come flying in and bombing jumps and going less distance than everyone that slowed down...its cool to watch for sure.

jcv400ex
11-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by JJs450r
x3 but it seems like dunk can pull it off also

he's just checking to see if he has enough gas to finish the race...

JRP
11-07-2007, 11:59 AM
do work:devil:

tim colston
11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
What exactly is scrubbing

416exfreak
11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Scrubbing is like the opposite of preloading.

Instead of trying to get more air, your trying to "soak up" the jump and just stay close to the ground so you can get your tires back to the traction.

If you want to go faster on a track, then scrub at any place its possible. We all know that when your tires are on the ground you can go faster than when theyre in the air.

tim colston
11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Scrubbing is like the opposite of preloading.

Instead of trying to get more air, your trying to "soak up" the jump and just stay close to the ground so you can get your tires back to the traction.

If you want to go faster on a track, then scrub at any place its possible. We all know that when your tires are on the ground you can go faster than when theyre in the air.

Thanks for the clear description.

11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
i was hitting this jump a gear higher than normal and still landing in the same spot when i would scrub.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/fudpucker313/IMG_1873.jpg

esr250r86
11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Korry Ellis is pretty good at it too.

Jersey450R
11-07-2007, 03:36 PM
wimmer.

07250ex
11-07-2007, 03:38 PM
how do u scrub tho

416exfreak
11-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Ok 07250ex...

To scrub...and this is to the best of my knowledge, so if im wrong then someone correct me.

But, instead of standing up on the takeoff like you would on a normal jump. Right when you get to the lip you slam your *** don onto the seat and keep your weight on the quad instead of standing up in the "attack" position.

You dont sit completely off the jump, just when you leave the lip. You want to keep the quad as close to the ground as possible.

madskrillz2
11-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Ok 07250ex...

To scrub...and this is to the best of my knowledge, so if im wrong then someone correct me.

But, instead of standing up on the takeoff like you would on a normal jump. Right when you get to the lip you slam your *** don onto the seat and keep your weight on the quad instead of standing up in the "attack" position.

You dont sit completely off the jump, just when you leave the lip. You want to keep the quad as close to the ground as possible.

not saying your wrong but from what you're describing is just a seat bounce which is just preloading.

you wanna still stand up on the take off but stay as close to the seat as possible so when you "pop" off the lip your body takes that hit which keeps you from going so high. you'll still keep your momentum though and go the same distance.

trxwannbe
11-07-2007, 05:01 PM
josh creamer is the master you can say what you want but he is the best jumper in the pro class

b52 bomber
11-07-2007, 05:12 PM
thanks to all me and a buddy racer of mine have been questioning this since we started racing but never could find anyone that knew

trick450r
11-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by trxwannbe
josh creamer is the master you can say what you want but he is the best jumper in the pro class

amen

CannondaleRider
11-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, scrubbing can make a big difference on lap times when done correctly.

Your basically wanting to leave the jump at a normal stance, but instead of staying at your normal stance throughout the jump, you want to have the bike trajectory absorb into your body. Try to absorb most of the height you can, so you can push the bike down just that much more. Like I just said, you want to try to push the bike down as fast as you can.....anytime your off the ground, your losing time. Obviously, this is not advantageous in some cases.

Getting to a point of knowing when its necessary, and helpful, and when it is not, is just a matter of practice.

FHKracingZ
11-07-2007, 08:07 PM
i would say wienen is the smooth rider in the pro class, its no question if you watch him ride. Creamer is amazing no doubt , but when he came to my friends track with chad and thomas brown this summer , chad was alot faster with a bone stock bike except a exhaust and front fox shocks, and creamer had a fully built bike.

scrubbing aint hard, just stay low

05Z400rdr
11-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah Dunk's pretty awesome at scrubbin!

ingleful
11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
ive been practicing scrubing for a while now..does make you a tad faster.

FHKracingZ
11-08-2007, 07:46 AM
99% of the people on this forum that think they can scrub... cant.. and im kinda one of them, it depends on the jump...90% of the time you will act like ure doing it but nothing different will happen. but it looks cool :D

JRP
11-08-2007, 10:23 AM
99% of the people on this forum that think they can scrub... cant.. and im kinda one of them, it depends on the jump...90% of the time you will act like ure doing it but nothing different will happen. but it looks cool :D

hahah one of the funnier things ive read on this site, lol. heres a pic of my scrub.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/rolling7.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/rolling1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/scrub1.jpg

but like you said, it really does depend on the jump.

54warrior
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
:o

flyboy62
11-08-2007, 11:37 AM
here is an old 90 scrub:D

11-08-2007, 03:00 PM

yep def. i can usualy only feel a difference on jumps with alot of pop seems like you soak up the pop and stay lower.

treake
11-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I would have to agree with the person that said 90% of the people on here think they scrub but they don't. I would say that percentage is probably closer to 95 to 98%. Staying low during a jump when riding a quad is something that takes a lot of practice. Just because you hang off the back of it, doesn't mean your scrubbing or staying low. I would say a majority of the pro riders are dragging the rear brake up the face of the jump. That's what would allow them to go into a jump full throttle and not over jump it, stay low and hit the lander smooth. It appears that Wienen is also doing something extra with his body positioning while going up the face of the jump. The Pro riders are also going to have their suspension set up different from an amateur rider because they typically land every jump smooth. So I would say that suspension set up also comes into play. It would appear to me that there are a lot of factors that would come into play.

As far as the best jumper in the pro class. I don't know that you could say one is that much better than the other. Each has their own style and it would be a hard thing to judge. I will say this, Doug Gust is still one of the smoothest jumpers you will ever see on a quad. He may not be the fastest anymore, but he is certainly still one of the smoothest jumpers.

11-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by treake
I would have to agree with the person that said 90% of the people on here think they scrub but they don't. I would say that percentage is probably closer to 95 to 98%. Staying low during a jump when riding a quad is something that takes a lot of practice. Just because you hang off the back of it, doesn't mean your scrubbing or staying low. I would say a majority of the pro riders are dragging the rear brake up the face of the jump. That's what would allow them to go into a jump full throttle and not over jump it, stay low and hit the lander smooth. It appears that Wienen is also doing something extra with his body positioning while going up the face of the jump. The Pro riders are also going to have their suspension set up different from an amateur rider because they typically land every jump smooth. So I would say that suspension set up also comes into play. It would appear to me that there are a lot of factors that would come into play.

As far as the best jumper in the pro class. I don't know that you could say one is that much better than the other. Each has their own style and it would be a hard thing to judge. I will say this, Doug Gust is still one of the smoothest jumpers you will ever see on a quad. He may not be the fastest anymore, but he is certainly still one of the smoothest jumpers.

lol everything you just stated had nothing to do with scrubing it was just a random rambling about observations from a non riding standpoint (whether this is true or not im not sure).

Nick110
11-08-2007, 06:22 PM
In the H10 teaser idk who it is but its a Media Allstars suzuki at the end, he scrubs a jump.

QuadR8cer12
11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
In the H10 teaser idk who it is but its a Media Allstars suzuki at the end, he scrubs a jump.

that was me at bar 2 bar mx

JRP
11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by QuadR8cer12
that was me at bar 2 bar mx

yea austin, you are sick as hell at scrubbing man! ive seen some of your vids and they are nasty! keep up the good work and i expect big things from you next year!:)

jesseweaver
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by JRP
yea austin, you are sick as hell at scrubbing man! ive seen some of your vids and they are nasty! keep up the good work and i expect big things from you next year!:)

very true, you did some sick scrubs in FO2. Are you racing pro class next year?

Fred55
11-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by z400rider08
lol everything you just stated had nothing to do with scrubing it was just a random rambling about observations from a non riding standpoint (whether this is true or not im not sure).

Actually dragging the brake up the jump faces helps out and accomplishes what scrubbing does in a way. The pros can hit the faces much faster and when they drag the rear brake up the face, they can slow down enough to were they dont overshoot the jump....slowing down at the last moment possible......thats the name of the game in racing

elementryder
11-08-2007, 07:52 PM
ive talked to pat brown about it and he said theres deffinantly 2 ways of doing it dragging your rear brakes off the lipseems a little setchy to me but.. and the second way its to try and absorb the lp of the jump kinda let your body be like jelly off the jump.. he said i was pretty good at it that is soakin it up im gonna try and play around with the back brakes sometime

treake
11-09-2007, 07:20 AM

It would appear you don't pay attention when you read a post. Scrubbing is about cutting speed, staying low on a jump and landing smooth. That's what my post is about but apparently you don't understand there is more than one way to accomplish the same goal and how suspension set up could come into play. That's ok though, it's an honest mistake someone might make when they don't know anything about the topic.

As far as the comment about Doug Gust being a smooth jumper. Again, your not paying attention or reading all the posts. I was responding to some earlier posts about which pro's are the smoothest jumpers.

11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by treake
It would appear you don't pay attention when you read a post. Scrubbing is about cutting speed, staying low on a jump and landing smooth. That's what my post is about but apparently you don't understand there is more than one way to accomplish the same goal and how suspension set up could come into play. That's ok though, it's an honest mistake someone might make when they don't know anything about the topic.

As far as the comment about Doug Gust being a smooth jumper. Again, your not paying attention or reading all the posts. I was responding to some earlier posts about which pro's are the smoothest jumpers.

haha alright bud

ingleful
11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
haha alright bud

x2

trick250r
11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
to clear it up for eveyone... SCRUBBING IS USED TO HIT JUMPS AT HIGHER SPEEDS WITHOUT OVERSHOOTING

ingleful
11-09-2007, 04:22 PM
thanks for that.

blakefoote
11-09-2007, 04:50 PM
yeah it just all depends on the jump...

QuadR8cer12
11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
very true, you did some sick scrubs in FO2. Are you racing pro class next year?
thanks man, no i am no where near being ready for pro class. hopefuly i can be up to that level in a few years but not anytime soon!

jesseweaver
11-10-2007, 02:42 PM
thanks man, no i am no where near being ready for pro class. hopefuly i can be up to that level in a few years but not anytime soon!
you raced pro-am last year right? where did you finish? and good luck next year.

QuadR8cer12
11-10-2007, 07:58 PM
yeah i did, i think i finished 20th overall? i quit keeping track of it after like 3 rounds, i could not get a good race in all season. I had all sorts of bad luck from getting stuck in holeshots to having my boot fall off when I was in 2nd place... yeah thats right, i had to pull over and put my boot back on and then resume the race lol

JRP
11-10-2007, 08:03 PM
yeah i did, i think i finished 20th overall? i quit keeping track of it after like 3 rounds, i could not get a good race in all season. I had all sorts of bad luck from getting stuck in holeshots to having my boot fall off when I was in 2nd place... yeah thats right, i had to pull over and put my boot back on and then resume the race lol

hahahahah wow. that is some bad luck man! Hope next season goes better for you!

woodsracer144
11-10-2007, 08:46 PM
im 16 and i was on a blaster when i was doing this...
at my buddys track they had like a rut at the very bottom of the berm and another one out more like the with of the quad(they didnt use the berm how yo uare sopose to use one anyways) i would put my inside tire on the rut at the bottom and the other tire(right) would be on the very top. and then half way throught the corner would start to slide my butt to start to power slide and then after i was off the berm i would just sit as far back as i can and i like kinda ride a wheelie on the lip... like get all the travle up, then as i leave the jump i move all my weight to the front of the quad and push the bar foward and away from me so im like i am when i leave the ramp and then some times before i land i tap the gas so my rear tires touch just a little bit before my fronts and then im in a gravitey cavitey on a step up and you just pinn it and shoot strait up(sit a very vertical ramp) and tap the rear brakes and there you are...

11-11-2007, 06:20 AM
that sounds more like a preload to me

woodsracer144
11-11-2007, 08:24 AM
my butts all the way off the back of the seat, and it just takes me low and strait... easyer if i would post a vid but kinda just got rid of my blaster to show you.... waiting on my 250r right now....

11-14-2007, 06:48 PM
this is a scrub

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/fudpucker313/Tape-1---Clip-033.gif

FHKracingZ
11-14-2007, 09:50 PM
sweet clip z400 but thats not a scrub, your frame is not hitting the face and the quad dosnt change trajectory at all.. ive ridden with weinen enough to see how it looks, as i stated earlier 90% of the time you think your scrubbing but your really not

JOEX
11-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Would it be more accurate to define scrubbing as 'a technique to shorten lap times using various techniques to keep forward momentum continuous' Mainly concentrating on keeping the tires on the ground to achieve maximum traction....

11-14-2007, 10:09 PM
sweet clip z400 but thats not a scrub, your frame is not hitting the face and the quad dosnt change trajectory at all.. ive ridden with weinen enough to see how it looks, as i stated earlier 90% of the time you think your scrubbing but your really not

well i know when i hit that jump the exact same speed without "scrubing" i flat land and almost blow that corner. so its doing something man.

FHKracingZ
11-14-2007, 10:11 PM
oo deffinatly man im not saying your not doing it , its just not showing it in that clip :) i like ure kfx though it looks b/a

JOEX
11-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Would it be more accurate to define scrubbing as 'a technique to shorten lap times using various techniques to keep forward momentum continuous' Mainly concentrating on keeping the tires on the ground to achieve maximum traction....
Meaning scrubbing isn't a specific way of hitting as jump or corner. Rather it's an adaptation to approaching a jump or corner so the landing or exit sets you up for the next corner, jump or obstacle.

440challenger
11-15-2007, 06:44 AM
I scrub by turning off the face (like into the jump) and pushing down on the bike

Jersey450R
12-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by JOEX

AMEN