View Full Version : 450r help

mach1stang
11-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, I am tired of p****footing around I am finally saving up again for a 450r I started to save for a z400 but had some personal things come up that I had to take of. So now that I am trying to get back in the stream of things, I need to know is there any thing I should know about explosive back fires stuff like that lol. I know I will put a beating on it, because I ride close to every day but nothing big like MX but trail riding just piddling around the house.

Thanks for the help.

zeus54
11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
HONDAS SUCK..........KYMCO'S RULE,,,,,,,,,,JUST KIDDING PREFER THE 04'S AND 05'S BUT THATS JUST ME

mach1stang
11-06-2007, 09:59 PM
hahaha, what are the diffrences between the 04's and 05's vs the newer ones?

zeus54
11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by mach1stang
hahaha, what are the diffrences between the 04's and 05's vs the newer ones?
WELL ONE MAJOR DIFFERENCE IS THEY ONLY COME IN KICKSTARTS WHICH FOR ME IS A BLESSING. THE NEWER ONE'S SUPPOSEDLY HAVE MORE POWER,UPDATED MOTORS,FCR CARBS VERSUS A VACCUM SLIDE CARB, FRAME AND SUSPENSION GEOMETRY ARE UPDATED. BLAH-BLAH-BLAH I HONESTLY CANT SEE GETTING RID OF MY 04 BUT IF HONDA GOES F.I. IN THE NEXT YEAR I WILL PROBABLY JUMP ON THAT, OTHER THAN THAT I LIKE MY 04 BECAUSE IT'S PAID FOR!!!!!!!!:D ;)

mach1stang
11-06-2007, 11:26 PM
O see I would look for a electric start, it's always nice on the trails.

smithn1683
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
It will take a while to get used to as a trail machine coming off a 400 or smaller. Some times its a bit much but I like mine would not trade it. I would definatly look into one with a lot of mods alreayd done to it and the crank replaced with an updated one as they have issues with the cranks going bad. The smaller machines are easier to toss around and are a bit more nimble in tight trail situations. Once you get use to a 450 youll learn how to use all that power to move the machine around.:macho
I know I still am:p

Kick start is always better BTW no need for a battery and if the machine if tuned correcly it should always start one kick.

mach1stang
11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
so get a older (04-05) and get one with some mods, but i think i will be more suspension upgrades shocks arms stuff like that just so the tippyness is gone, but i will see what i can for motor mods.

TRX450RACER174
11-07-2007, 11:28 AM
There is nothing wrong with an ER, i have an 06 bought one of the 1st ones at the dealer and never had one problem with the electric start, i think people do stuff to them and can't tune the carb right, mine starts up right away, find a good deal any year is good just find something that hasn't been beat.

mach1stang
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Ok so the electric starts just cause problems with carb tuning?

TRX450RACER174
11-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I have 2 an 06 and a 07 i have had no problems with starting, i have been around motorcycles/quads a long time and know how to work on them fairly good, valves out of adjustment, carb not properly tuned will cause it not to start right away thus putting stress on the starter and burning it out, so you tell me expert? i must have the only 2 that don't have problems.

mach1stang
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I am just looking for somthing thats reliable and fun ya know, I am sure i will put a few mods on it here and there a pipe, header, filter stuff like that, I am just out for somthing thats gonna tote my fat a** around lol and not give me problems.

mach1stang
11-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey guys, I was also wondering what is a good width to upgrade to for trail riding?