PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bearing Failure Question

Ted J
11-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm curoius, if the crank bearing fails what all does it ruin? I'm curious if all that needs to be done is have the case split apart and have the crank and bearings replaced or does it really mess things up?

Maybe the metal shavings could cause issues with the upper end? There is probably a screen and the filter hopefully wouldn't let the shavings through but could they maybe limit oil flow and cause issues with the upper end not getting enough oil? If I change my oil pretty often is it not something I'll have to worry about?

I just bought a '05 450R, wish it was a '06. Does anybody know what updates they did in '06 to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Ted

d3ktrix
11-06-2007, 08:38 PM
When the crank and rod bearings go its more then likely that the whole mess goes right into the top end because there is nothing separating the top end from the bottom end.

When my 1 friends rod bearings went he was pretty lucky. All he lost was crank, jug, piston. ( If I remember correctly)

When my other friends crank bearings went, he was REALLY lucky, all he needed to replace was the bearings them selves and the stator.

But then theres also the cases where the rod snaps and goes right out the front of the cases.

zeus54
11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
DO THE UPDATE KIT THAT'S AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FORUM IF YOU ARE CONCERNED.