PDA

View Full Version : Best chassis skid and where to buy...

Sportrax 400EX
11-06-2002, 11:57 AM
I'm looking at a chassis skid plate and wanted to know if people could post opinions on whats best and help me find a place to get one at a good price. Stuff like what better, plastic or aluminium. Which ones crack, Which ones are heavy etc etc.

Thanks
D.

Doibugu2
11-06-2002, 12:01 PM
There was a long thread about this awhile back. Do a search for skid plates or something like that.

Get the PRM from Quadshop, can't go wrong with them.

Pappy
11-06-2002, 12:03 PM
PRM ......i used the others and they didnt hold up . quadshop will hook ya up.

Sparks425Ex
11-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Hows Ac?

What is PRM made outta?

I am getting a new swing arm skid plate this winter. I don;t really ride many places where i ahve to worry about rocks or anything. And Ac seemed to be good.

Any Feed Back?

hotrodhonda400
11-06-2002, 02:32 PM
pro armor!!;) I have an A C rear skid thats held up well also(not pictured) by the way i ordered them both from Magic Racing

DGR Designs
11-06-2002, 03:11 PM
well up here we have these plates called Armordillo. new age plastic that doesn't bend break and is really slppery. go to www.atvtires.com and go from tere. look at them.

Twiztid
11-06-2002, 06:40 PM
on my 300 i have a moose chassi skid plate and i got it from www.denniskirk.com

Sportrax 400EX
11-07-2002, 05:23 AM
Roost-Maker.........can you post a pic of what the plastic one looks like? I have the plastice durablu swing arm one now. It works pretty good.

D.

DGR Designs
11-07-2002, 05:30 AM
well i can't post a pic of what they look like but go here and take a look. these are all canadian prices tho. http://www.atvtires.com/ARMORDILLO%20PLASTIC%20SKIDPLATES.htm yes they are cheap and yes, they are very good. i swear by them and they are kind of like the plastic that they make vrazy carpets out of. but thicker and THEY ARE TOUGH. we have one on our Rancher and they wont fetch up like aluminum will on sharp rocks nor will they make loud screeching noises. and they make snow driving much easyer as the underside or the quad just slides over the surface. i highly reccomend them. check them out!

DEAL
11-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Sparkles had an armadillo belly skid, Its almost identicle to Dg except the mounts are diffrent so it doesn't vibrate.
I have a Dg belly skid and its terrible , i don't even use it.

11-07-2002, 10:46 AM
AC racings are great if ya like to take them off every other ride to beat them back out straight..:rolleyes:

PRM from the quadshop,,the best skid along with the best price and service,,hands down..:blah

D400ex909
11-07-2002, 08:20 PM
IMO, i have a Maier plastic skid on my 400ex and on my Warrior. The warriors has been on for over a year and a half now, and theres not one deep scratch/crack on it, and i'm sure its much lighter than aluminum. Also, they r only around 50 or 60 bucks, which is definetly cheaper than aluminum. you can practically buy 2 plastic for 1 aluminum, and i have had no problems with the plastic. I ride at the Badlandz a ton, and ne of u who have been there no how rocky that place can be. Also, u can get them in many colors which i think is cool. lata

bklyn400ex
11-10-2002, 11:10 PM
PRM = the best

muff
11-12-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by D400ex909
IMO, i have a Maier plastic skid on my 400ex and on my Warrior. The warriors has been on for over a year and a half now, and theres not one deep scratch/crack on it, and i'm sure its much lighter than aluminum. Also, they r only around 50 or 60 bucks, which is definetly cheaper than aluminum. you can practically buy 2 plastic for 1 aluminum, and i have had no problems with the plastic. I ride at the Badlandz a ton, and ne of u who have been there no how rocky that place can be. Also, u can get them in many colors which i think is cool. lata

the amount of scratches depend on how rugged the terrain you ride on is, i live in a town called north stonington, and it's very very rocky here, I'm happy with the ricochet rear skid plate that I got from www.rockymountainatv.com for only $60, and it's thicker than the normal skidplates, ricochet also mades full skid plates but I'm not sure how much they are
I haven't had any problems with my Ac full skid plate, but i guess other people have had problems

from what people are sayin pro armor is good but the stuffs expensive

Sportrax 400EX
11-13-2002, 06:07 AM
I ended up ordering the PRM on. It should be here this week! :)

11-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Sportrax 400EX
I ended up ordering the PRM on. It should be here this week! :)

From the quadshop??????

Sportrax 400EX
11-13-2002, 07:52 AM
No I was broke so I ended up having to get a used one. :(

Sportrax 400EX
11-19-2002, 07:48 AM
Well I got in my PRM skid plate and put it on last night. My first impression. Not very thrilled with it. I wasn't very impresses with the design of it. It was very basic and the drilled holes weren't aligned very well. It was hard to get all of them to line up perfectly. The front mount barely fit because the screw is a bit to short. I had to bend the mount some to get it to thread on. The other thing was that the middle mount could not even be used because it was in the way of my AC nerf bars. I know that isn't PRM's fault but I would think that they should expect that people will have nurfs and design the mounts to work with them. Over all the skid is on and I hope will be sturdy without the middle mount on it. It looks like it's pretty solid and should do a good job of protecting the frame. Over all I'm sure it will do it's job but I just wasn't very impressed with how the install went.
On another topic I noticed that my Dura Blue swing arm skid was cracked in 2 places so I guess I'll be replacing that some time soon. Any suggestions for a good rear skid?

D.

YZROOSTINYA
11-19-2002, 09:25 AM
i have a prm skid and where i ride it is the ONLY one that will last more than a day. prm skids are really thick and have beefy welds, i just ordered my belly skid from prm today.

i would run a ac which is lighter if i rode in mild terrain, unfortunately i dont

Sportrax 400EX
11-19-2002, 09:32 AM
I agree, the one I got is the 190 and it is thick. It would take one **** of a rock to crack this thing. I'm not saying the materials are bad on it I just wasn't cool with how the install went. How was the fit/install on the swing arm one you have? :)

D.

11-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Sportrax 400EX
How was the fit/install on the swing arm one you have? :)

D.

It took me 5 minutes to install my PRM skid and it fit like a glove.. Quadshop has them in stock if ya need one.

Sportrax 400EX
11-19-2002, 10:01 AM
Rico,

Do you have the chassis skid? Any problems with the holes lining up right. Or any issues with fitting the middle bracket on with nurf bars?

Thanks
D.

infantry317
11-19-2002, 01:15 PM
I've a bud's 1/4" thick aluminum with dents in it. Go stainless if you can (3x stronger for same thickness, but it weighs more being steel is more dense)

Scott

YZROOSTINYA
11-19-2002, 01:22 PM
my swingarm skid bolted right up, i dont have nerfs so i will let you know how the frame skid bolts up

Scott
11-19-2002, 01:39 PM
I have a PRM bumper and love it, it's almost indestructible. But for swingarm skid, I've got to recommend the one I have on my bike now. It's a B&M Racing stainless steel skid. If you're not concerned about it weighing a little more than the aluminum ones, this things the way to go. Direct bolt up, no rigging or cussing. Check with the Quadshop and if they don't have them, call ProFab ATV, I know he has them.

I've ridden SE Ohio (not too bad as far as rocks go) and Livingston KY (monster rocks everywhere) and mines perfect. I be more concerned about my swingarm breaking before that skid plate does. And they're cheaper than a PRM or AC. Double bonus.

bradley300
11-20-2002, 10:58 AM
your skid didnt line of because of the u-bolts on the skids right? none of the hole lined up on mine and i assume this was the reason. you will be very pleased with the performance of the though. they are indestructable.

Sportrax 400EX
11-20-2002, 11:02 AM
Mine didn't have u bolts. It had a set of brackets that went through the skid and bolted into them. On the very front one the bolt was to short and I had to bend the bracket some to get the bolt started. Now that it's on pretty well I'm sure it will be tuff! :)

YZROOSTINYA
11-25-2002, 06:23 AM
i got my prm frame skid and it bolted up fine with no clearance or interfearnce issues, this is the frame skid, i already have the swingarm skid.

i dont have nerfs either though