PDA

View Full Version : Apex or drr is the question?

mac75
11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
I have been stuck not knowing what to buy for a year now and leaving my son on a built kasea 70.. But the move is coming soon and i'm stuck... We race woods and that is about it.. The apex 90 mx has had my attention due to the 42" width.. Our Kasea is 42 and sometimes we have issues...
The prices are comparable because we want nerfs and a foot brake.. I would have to add that to the DRR... I know about the tranny problems(apex) and my son loves to land on the gas...
So I'm looking for peoples thoughts. I know there are alot of DRR dealers her so I hope for some apex owners thoughts to.. just pros and cons I don't want to bash.. An apex won the 70cc class in Gncc pretty much stock with some head mods, no suspension upgrades and a hetrick intake(water) it looked imperssive at crowfordsville..
thanks john

born2ride14
11-06-2007, 07:30 PM
go ahead and do your self a favor get an apex mx! they are race ready out of the box with 2 or 3 mods.the mx modle is 42 inches wide and these thing have bigger frame than a drx.ull have to put in hardend gears the bushing mod and maybe a case saver

Nichols Atvs
11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
DRRs 70 can be air or water cooled and it is 44 inches wide .
XFR or Rath make bolt on nerf bars or you can get weld on XFR or AC. DRR makes a foot brake also. Intake is already upgraded . Customer service is the bigest diference between Apex and DRR DRR is better. The big question i feel would be yours, you have to look at it. Reading your post seems as you like the looks of the Apex more . Im A DRR fan but go with what you feel is right. After market parts are the same . The best rider can win on the worst machine, 85 % rider 15 % machine. You need to teach your son to let off the gas . you dont go any faster in the air with the throttle pegged , so why do it . There is a fix for the tranny it just costs more but add up the cost of four sets of tranny gears and it will be better in the long run to do the fix .

markvette
11-06-2007, 08:11 PM
they all break transmissions.

Mark

dodgepower
11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Except my Apex mark:)

mac75
11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Im not even closs to liking one or the other just wanting some feedback from people.. I have read all the positve stuff about drr.. just wanted to here what the apex people feel about there machines.. Seems like when ever I read something about an apex the topic is always shifted to drr.. so I just wanted to learn more

drr5
11-06-2007, 09:06 PM
i believe one of the fine drr dealers can locate a 41 inch model there maybe a few available , drr quads do handle much better they respond to rider input much better, and the added cost of nerfs is still much less.

mac75
11-06-2007, 09:09 PM
is the 41" model dual a-arm and liquid cool

dodgepower
11-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Heres the deal sir.............They are both good bikes. We have a Apex and have had no major problems. I am still on original gears (knock on wood). gears break in all of them. I had a Dinli that we did so does that make them junk.....NO............

It all depends on two things to me!!!!!!!!!!!! Local support............and what he feels comfortable on.

No matter what you get your gonna work on it. Not either is true race ready off the bat. I dont care what anyone says you are gonna tweak and peak either.................

Either way you just have to go with what your gut tells you:).....good luck and have fun.

drr5
11-07-2007, 12:45 PM
i second what dodgepower said local support is a big thing but so is a network of great dealers,distributors, and actual company support for whatever product you buy, to answer your question i believe they came either way, and dodgepower is also correct on the need to tweak any of these quads for the best results.

TRX125kid
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
i race harescrambles to i have a trx built up to a 125 andhad a race this weekend apex was in first i was in 2nd and another was in third at the middle of the at the middle of 1st lap and we all broke away from the pack byu the end of the first lap i was by myself becasue both of them broke. all i know is they are fast but have transmission issues if u can figure that out ur golden

kris32775
11-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Why don't you look into a can am ds 90x. just a thought.

mac75
11-07-2007, 04:11 PM
i would love to but I know it will be down on power compared to his built 70 and it will cost a ton to make it fast...

miniquad
11-07-2007, 05:14 PM
The DRR is a great product but will require mods to be comparable to the APEX. The DRR will need the following, frame gussets, rear brake conversion, nerf bars, aluminum wheels, trans mod, snow hog rear tires, the rear shock is too soft and will bottom out and bend the rear swingarm if aired out by agressive rider, port timing on APEX is more aggressive and ports bigger, the DRR is much heavier and shorter than the APEX. APEX seems to make more power in stock form. Like I said the DRR is a great product and more inexspensive but to do all the above mods it may not be cheaper in the long run. Just my opinion.

wvspeedfreak
11-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by dodgepower

It all depends on two things to me!!!!!!!!!!!! Local support............and what he feels comfortable on.

I agree.

hr15
11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
The a-arm geometry seems a little better on the DRR.

kenjolly
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
There are alot of things not being said about apex. They dont take care of their dealer's so what makes you think they care about you after the sale. You may even see them for sale below dealer cost by a west coast dealer cutting the throats of other dealers.

Both quads are fast stock or modified, the drr does seem to be more reliable with far more support than apex.

Ask around and see how many dealers dont even sell apex anymore for these very reasons.

We have a very large DRR following in florida and we can run with any quad out thier.

just my 2 cents.

miniquad
11-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Just trying to compare bike to bike in their base form and show the difference between the two. Unless you own both most would not know these differences. I think the question was DRR or APEX ? Not which company has a better reputation. I have both and have been able to get parts for both with ease. APEX has gone to great lengths to cure some of its early issues with broken parts and the new bikes come with these improvements. Im not pro APEX or DRR just giving my opinion. Most important thing is getting our kids out having fun and putting a smile on their face no matter what they ride. Competition is good between the makes we the consumer benifit from it with a better product. Just my 3 cents.

bulldogfallon
11-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Both companies make good bikes...different price tags and different needs and strengths..

In the past, the Apex was a much faster quad out of the box, but DRR has improved their base product significantly (thanks to Apex pushing the bar)

The DRX90 now has a new exhaust and high compression head that allows it to run speed wise very close to the Apex.

Nerf bars, aluminum wheels are not a stock options because DRR would like to help keep the rest of the companies that make parts in business too....I don't think the stock Apex nerfs are anything to get excited about anyway (I could be wrong)

I think the Apex may have a little more power stock vs stock(that gap is closing though), but the DRR handles much better (from what I have been told by riders that have been on both machines). The Apex I rode felt very rigid to steer...no pictures were taken, so this can't be proven in the court of law :)

If the above is true...which is easier for you to come by... speed or handling? and which is more important to you? That is your choice to make

I know that the DRR service is strong and has many loyal supporters....They back their bikes which is something I take pride in...knowing that i am part of a company that cares more about their riders than the all mighty dollar.

DRR's current weakness is their swingarm, but the new square tube design has started to land in the U.S. and has held up to the beatings it has been put through...also new is case hardened gears, slipper sprocket etc...

I can make a liquid cooled DRX 90 41" wide if you wanted one(swap engines with a 50cc chassis) or you can take one of the 44" wide units and put on DRR's new aluminum rims and reduce the width by 2" They are a 4/1 offset which narrows the front, but puts more wheel over the rotor.

There is enough knowledge on this forum to keep either brand running fast and for a long time..

Either way good luck..

mxmike17
11-08-2007, 10:54 AM
They are both capable quads. They will both need some tweeking.

Show your kid pictures of both and let him pic.

We had a DRR that my rider pounded on for a year almost every weekend. We were pleased with it.

I have seen localy Apex's that have held up great too.

One thing for shore is they both are way better than what was available 4 yrs ago!

mac75
11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
thsnk you everybody for all your help.. It great to have all this info so close at hand.. Now I need to get over and check out the drr first hand.. Wolfpack racing is an hour away and I will be making the trip to visit soon