PDA

View Full Version : Welders I Need Help

jrwisehart
11-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Which kind of welding rod would i use on the headers on my quad? The bracket that held on the heat guard was just spot welded and it broke off. Help is appreciated.

Pappy
11-06-2007, 06:10 PM
6010 or 6011 will work(really depends on the type of metal the piece is constructed of. )
mig or tig would be best but sounds like you have neither?

TRX450RACER174
11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Just take it to someone and have them weld it up really quick.

Ghost-Rider
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
You need to be more specific, you mean arc welding rod correct ?

jrwisehart
11-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I was talking about which arc welding rod, but i also have access to a mig. Im not sure what kind of metal the headers are made of.

Aceman
11-06-2007, 07:09 PM
If you have to ask this question take it to a weldor. They will probably only charge you $20-30 bucks. If it was mine though, I'd mig it.;)

chevy
11-06-2007, 07:39 PM
1st u need to know what kind of metal ur header is made of.
2nd depends on how good of a weldor u r.

u gotta keep in mind that u working with thin material, if u have ur welder set at too high of amps u will blow a hole rite threw causing even more damage.

if u want it to look good go with tig.

u can use stick but it will produce spatter and it will look like crap.

so in my opinion i would tig it hands down. mig would be my second choice then stick.

but like everyone has said if u dont have the equipment or u dont have much experience welding just take it to a shop.

thats just my 2 cents

FHKracingZ
11-06-2007, 07:55 PM
depending on big the crack is you could tig it with almost no filler rod. The metal is gonna be mild steel im guessing if its a stock pipe.

wilkin250r
11-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Just the bracket broke off?

Is there a reason that you need the heat shield on there? (aftermarket pipes don't use them)

naw0029
11-07-2007, 02:34 PM
I would just take it to a professional who looks at the stuff all day. Find a welder in your area and let them do it, like said above it will probly only be 20-30 bucks and you know its done the correct way.

trx400EXtreme
11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Just the bracket broke off?

Is there a reason that you need the heat shield on there? (aftermarket pipes don't use them) X2:ermm:

01 400EXer
11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Anytime I have had to fix an exhaust I brazed (bronze welding with a torch) it because I did not have a mig or tig welder to do the job. You have to really be careful arc welding due to heat and you may end up with a terrible weld job or a hole in your pipe. It basically depends on the thickness of the metal. I have brazed a bracket back on to an FMF Fatty pipe of an RM 250 with excellent results as well as a FMF power core 4 silencer for a 400EX.

Creech52
11-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I wouldnt waste my time arc welding it, itll be a crap weld for the size of the job. If its mild steel just take it to a muffler shop, they will probably tack it back on for next to nothing with a mig. Just make sure the area is CLEAN. I really dont think its worth the effort to TIG weld it but it would be the nicest cleanest way to do it.

Im sorry to those die hard arc welders, but I just dont like it, I see it as something for industrial use only, and for those times when you have no other choice (like welding the seam inside a 4 link bracket or a hard to reach spot.) Its just messy and unless your a pro at it, its very easy to make a bad weld and never know if its penetrated or not till the bead falls off and stuff comes apart.

Flyin-Low
11-08-2007, 03:31 PM
I mig welded a big crack by the heat shield of my 400ex header... been more than a year now and it's still sealed for the guy who I sold it to.

Just make sure you clean the area well, and maybe even grind the crack into a bit of a V shape to give more area for the weld to hold.

-Martin