PDA

View Full Version : guitar people i need help with amp

ride red 14
11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
you guys no the little hole where you put your chord in to make the guitar sounds through the amp? well mine is really loose and it wont connect very good like when i play i have to have my foot on the chord putting pressure down so it will work.. i was thinking that maybe something shorted out or something like that. have any of you guys had that problem?? is it fixable or is my amp shot?? any help would be appreciated

thanks,Austin

416exfreak
11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
What kind of amp is it?

If its not a sh1tty little wal-mart amp them im pretty sure there should be a little nut of sorts right there. Tighten it up and that should cure the problem.

If it is a wal-mart/first act amp...blow it up and go buy a new one.

mudrunner35
11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
What kind of amp is it?

If its not a sh1tty little wal-mart amp them im pretty sure there should be a little nut of sorts right there. Tighten it up and that should cure the problem.

If it is a wal-mart/first act amp...blow it up and go buy a new one.

x2.

that happened to my line 6 when i first got it. just cracked her open and tightened the nut and i havn't had problems since

416exfreak
11-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by mudrunner35
x2.

that happened to my line 6 when i first got it. just cracked her open and tightened the nut and i havn't had problems since

Hey Mudrunner...what kind of tone are you getting from your line 6?

Ive heard alot of good and alot of bad about them. Im gonna be buying a new amp after X-mas....somehtign in the 400-700 dollar range...so Im asking people I know about amps..

ride red 14
11-06-2007, 06:17 PM
its a fender amp and i tightened the nut up on the outside and it didnt help so i took it a part and looked around and theres not a nut on the inside its theres just a computer board

416exfreak
11-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Get a new cable then. And stay away from monster cables.

They suck.

ride red 14
11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
i should have mentioned that i bought a new cable. i dont no im thinking about taking it some where but i dont feel like payin alot of money for something i could fix for cheap you no what i mean?

Ruby Soho
11-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey Mudrunner...what kind of tone are you getting from your line 6?

Ive heard alot of good and alot of bad about them. Im gonna be buying a new amp after X-mas....somehtign in the 400-700 dollar range...so Im asking people I know about amps..

hey check your pms

416exfreak
11-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ride red 14
i should have mentioned that i bought a new cable. i dont no im thinking about taking it some where but i dont feel like payin alot of money for something i could fix for cheap you no what i mean?

Ive got a crate amp im needing to get rid of.

30watt and the DFX dont work anymore...no idea why though...

mudrunner35
11-06-2007, 07:41 PM
i use fender and planet wave cables. i absolutely love them both! the planet wave is so tough and durable you could probably string up a pretty big hefer with it;) as for your question 416exfreak, i love the tone i get out of my line 6! i have a line 6 spider II 30 watt. they are all digital amps which means there are no tubes, its all just wires and fancy gizmo's. i've had it for about 3 years now and i can't say anything about it thats bad:) the amp itself has 4 channels: lcean, crunch, metal and insane. clean gives you a nice warm blues like sound, crunch gives you a more AC/DC sound, metal gives you more of a general distortion. it has a really full sound on metal, insane is great for shredding some metal:devil: personally i like the crunch setting the best. nuff said lol. it also has built in effects like chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, tape echo, sweep echo, and reverb. it has ajustable drive, bass, mid, treble, and channel volume.

heres a link to the site that gives you some really sweet sound clips of the different channels

http://line6.com/spiderii/sounds02.html

any more questions??

TRX_450
11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
i fix electronics for a living....i do this stuff everyday....

you've either got broken solder on the jack or the jack is dirty and/or stretched out and you need to pinch down the piece on top of the jack itself

Quadfather
11-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Here's a thought- you'll notice that on each end of the cable plug, there is an indentation about a quarter of an inch up from the end of the plug. Inside the hole on the amp and guitar that accepts the cord, there is a retainer arm (for lack of a better term), that 'snaps' into that indentation to hold the plug/cord in contact with the plug. It sou7nds like that retainer arm may have gotten bent, not allowing it to hold onto the plug/cord.

Just throwing out ideas.

ride red 14
11-07-2007, 05:18 AM
yea it is kinda bent

416exfreak
11-07-2007, 12:46 PM
i use fender and planet wave cables. i absolutely love them both! the planet wave is so tough and durable you could probably string up a pretty big hefer with it;) as for your question 416exfreak, i love the tone i get out of my line 6! i have a line 6 spider II 30 watt. they are all digital amps which means there are no tubes, its all just wires and fancy gizmo's. i've had it for about 3 years now and i can't say anything about it thats bad:) the amp itself has 4 channels: lcean, crunch, metal and insane. clean gives you a nice warm blues like sound, crunch gives you a more AC/DC sound, metal gives you more of a general distortion. it has a really full sound on metal, insane is great for shredding some metal:devil: personally i like the crunch setting the best. nuff said lol. it also has built in effects like chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, tape echo, sweep echo, and reverb. it has ajustable drive, bass, mid, treble, and channel volume.

heres a link to the site that gives you some really sweet sound clips of the different channels

http://line6.com/spiderii/sounds02.html

any more questions??

Nope, I went to guitar center earlier and played a few amps.

Ive decided im gonna go with a Spider III 150 watt. And also an Ibanez RG series. Im more than likely going to sell all of my other guitars...Strat, Artcore and a chitty acoustic...

If anyone has an acuostic they would like to sell for about 100 bucks then PM me. Id prefer a good acoustic too...not something from walmart. If anyone has anything, let me know though.:D

Quadfather
11-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Nope, I went to guitar center earlier and played a few amps.

Ive decided im gonna go with a Spider III 150 watt..:D

Unless you are plan on playing stadiums and arenas, 150 watts is overkill to the tenth power.

If you plan on using it for playing at home, or even in medium sized bars/gigs, 30 watts is more than enough.

I have a 5 watt amp that is too loud for home playing.

416exfreak
11-07-2007, 01:40 PM
My band plays alot of high school pep rallys. We also play relay for life events and stuff like that. I dont care if its overkill though, when I need the volume, I know its there for me:)

300exOH
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
If you are looking at the Ibanez RG's check out the Schecter guitars in the same price range. I just bought one last year after checking out the fender strats and Ibanez and the Schecter blew them away especially in the $350-$450 range. Much better tone and playability. They are built very well also. I had an Ibanez RG-550DX before which was over $600 and this guitar is very comparable even though it cost $200-$250 less.

I bought the schecter gryphon and tried it out on a line 6 stereo amp it sounded awesome. I def need to pick up a line 6. My little Fender frontman amp doesn't even compare.

416exfreak
11-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
If you are looking at the Ibanez RG's check out the Schecter guitars in the same price range. I just bought one last year after checking out the fender strats and Ibanez and the Schecter blew them away especially in the $350-$450 range. Much better tone and playability. They are built very well also. I had an Ibanez RG-550DX before which was over $600 and this guitar is very comparable even though it cost $200-$250 less.

I bought the schecter gryphon and tried it out on a line 6 stereo amp it sounded awesome. I def need to pick up a line 6. My little Fender frontman amp doesn't even compare.

I played a schecter today. I didnt like how the neck felt..and it wasnt as fast to me. The RG im looking at also looks alot better than any schecter ive seen.

My strat is just...worthless...period. Got it from a pawn shop as a first guitar. It has chuncks missing from it....lol.

Anyhow, this is the RG im looking at, and am going to get:)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG4EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-103662789-i1168031.gc

Probably the grey burst, if they have it on stock.:macho

300exOH
11-07-2007, 02:13 PM
I played a schecter today. I didnt like how the neck felt..and it wasnt as fast to me. The RG im looking at also looks alot better than any schecter ive seen.

My strat is just...worthless...period. Got it from a pawn shop as a first guitar. It has chuncks missing from it....lol.

Anyhow, this is the RG im looking at, and am going to get:)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG4EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-103662789-i1168031.gc

Probably the grey burst, if they have it on stock.:macho

I know what you mean about the neck. It is a bit fatter than the Ibanez but after I played it for a while I got used to it. I did like the wizard II neck on the RG550. Most of the schecter I looked at were kind of ugly but the gryphon isn't much different than the one in your link. Don't get me wrong I'm not putting down the Ibanez...in fact I really miss mine. I wouldn't mind having one in my collection again. The one in your link would do... Not a bad price either. I also llike the floyd rose trem.

And there's nothing wrong with a pawn shop guitar. I have one of those too and after a fresh set of pickups it really isn't a bad guitar. It's an old epiphone with a strat style body and it has surprisingly good sound. It has a few chunks missing also (plus its a puky yellow) but all the important parts are there.

300exOH
11-07-2007, 02:15 PM
heres a pic of the gryphon

mudrunner35
11-07-2007, 03:55 PM
thats a really nice guitar 416exfreak :D have you thought about any of the Jackson's? i have a Ke3 Kelly and it has a really slim neck that just begs your you to solo:p you don't nesessarily have to buy the kelly but the dinky's have the same neck one thing you will probably want to change out quickly is the pickups. the seymour duncans that come with it aren't the best but they're ok. EMG's on the way:D. last time i was at my local guitar shop i tried an ESP Horizon sutom and DAMN! that thing is nice

416exfreak
11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
thats a really nice guitar 416exfreak :D have you thought about any of the Jackson's? i have a Ke3 Kelly and it has a really slim neck that just begs your you to solo:p you don't nesessarily have to buy the kelly but the dinky's have the same neck one thing you will probably want to change out quickly is the pickups. the seymour duncans that come with it aren't the best but they're ok. EMG's on the way:D. last time i was at my local guitar shop i tried an ESP Horizon sutom and DAMN! that thing is nice

I have played several Jacksons in fact. My only complaint with Dinky's, is that they dont like staying in tune. None of the ones I played did anyways.

If I were to buy a Jackson it would be an RR3. Im more of a V person anyways. But, i mean...Joe Satriani himself helped design the RG series, so they cant be but so bad. It looks great, has a floyd rose trem, locking nut, and I've already got an EMG 81/85 set here with me that were going to go into my artcore, but I just never got around to it. So im not particularly worried about the pickups.

I also considered a dean, but after playing a few razorbacks, I decided against it. Right now, the RG is the best thing in my price range. It fits me, my playing style, looks great and will also sound great. When I move up to a better, higher paying job I'll invest my money in a Krank stack and an ESP Laiho signature V.:devil:

Quadfather
11-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I have an older Ibanez RG540 (on the right in the picture). The necks on those guitars are amazing. I've had many different Ibanez RGs in the past. Once you get used to that style of neck, it's tough to make the transition to regular necks.

416exfreak
11-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather
I have an older Ibanez RG540 (on the right in the picture). The necks on those guitars are amazing. I've had many different Ibanez RGs in the past. Once you get used to that style of neck, it's tough to make the transition to regular necks.

Yea, I know its a unique feel.

Another reason I like the RG series is that, if I loosen the locks on the nut, then ill be able to play songs like 'behind the nut love" and such...its just allows a more versitle way of playing for me.

atvrider23054
11-09-2007, 03:54 PM
I have an Ibanez Rg350Dx for sale and a Line 6 Spyder II 210 if your interested. Also comes with a hard shell case and the cord. Both are in mint condition, I really never used them. Let me know.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dommaietta33/IMG_5758.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dommaietta33/IMG_5768.jpg

416exfreak
11-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by atvrider23054
I have an Ibanez Rg350Dx for sale and a Line 6 Spyder II 210 if your interested. Also comes with a hard shell case and the cord. Both are in mint condition, I really never used them. Let me know.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dommaietta33/IMG_5758.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dommaietta33/IMG_5768.jpg

PM'd:D