PDA

View Full Version : Shorter pipe?

fmftrx300ex
11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I have a 300ex with a new! FMF Powercore 4... and its just a little longer than my grab bar no biggy. but iv heard shorter headers add top end. could i cut my canaster for a similer afect? if i cut it an inch shorter would it give me any differnt "power" band? like more top end? i ride trails but rid them like im on a dirt track mid and high end. so i wouldnt mind a little bottom end loss for more top end.. so if i cut my canister will it do anything?

cheak out my other posts thanks!

11-06-2007, 05:38 PM
not sure in this situation but someone cut their HMF slip on i think 1" shorter or so to make it more like a shorty exhaust and the packing burned up pretty quick.

fmftrx300ex
11-06-2007, 05:42 PM
did they get any proformace diffence?

11-06-2007, 05:48 PM
not sure, i would assume a shorter exhaust would be better for having the exhaust leave quicker which i would think you would get more performance but i'm not sure

fmftrx300ex
11-10-2007, 07:46 AM
what do u mean by leav quicker? like faster off the line or like burn it up quicker

bansheemorphine
11-14-2007, 10:15 AM
you can cut your muffler shorter but is all thats going to do is make it louder not sure if it will affect performance or not.

81 clark racing
11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
its the length it is from the factory for a reason just my 2 cents

bwamos
11-15-2007, 06:05 AM
It will make little difference.
The header and midpipe are set at a length for optimal performance. The canister is set at the length for optimal sound output. It may change the curve a slight bit, but most likley not even enough to be measurable on the 300ex. It apparently is supposed to add a tad more torque to the bottom end (wich would take a tad off the top on HP also). I was unable to notice any change at all.

I shortened my Sparks X-4 for the exact same reason. Couldn't put it up on it's hind quarters, and always worried about putting it on its tail when hopping logs, etc.. I shortened mine 2 inches. And it's no louder than before, because I replaced the packing with a better tripple layer packing.

The guy that burnt up his packing real quick must have used fiberglass insultaion to repack his cannister. You have the same gasses at the same temperature flowing through the same part of the pipe. You just dont have the last inch of it. It should not be any hotter. If you're running hot enough to melt glass then you have much larger issues than a shoter cannister. Odds are though it was cheap blanket insulation and it simply just sucked through the perforations.