PDA

View Full Version : 400 difficult start

eric02400ex
11-06-2002, 10:51 AM
I have an 02 400ex that I used to ride everyday. I recently got offered a job and moved to the city and left my beveloved quad behind at my parents farm. After not riding it for a month I went to start it and the Plug was fouled. After replacing the plug and some cranking it finally started and I let it idle for about 20 minutes before going on a 30 minute cruise. I parked it and two weeks later when I went to start it the battery was very weak and the plug was fouled again. I know I need to charge the battery up and should unhook the power cable when I leave it, but why would it die so quickly after it ran for an hour. And why would my plug be fouling should I remove it too when I leave it parked, and it is being parked in an unheated garage and it has been unseasonably cold in Indiana (in the 40's at night). Any help would be appreciated, I only want what's best for my 400.
Thanks

oynot400
11-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Make sure that you turn your fuel off when you are done. That my help with the fouling of the plug. Anytime you let something sit for long period of time, it may drain on the battery. If it is going to sit for a few weeks you might want to unhook the negative cable. ;)
I would not recomend letting it idle for that long. It needs the rpms to keep the oil pressure up.

Pappy
11-06-2002, 11:26 AM
a lead acid battery loses 1% of its state of charge per day....and thats with no drains what so ever. purchase a battery tender and be done with it.

i agree with the fuel shut off .