PDA

View Full Version : 440 bigbore vs. 440 stroker

drew416ex
11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Just wondering how big a difference it is between a big bore and a stroker 440. I know a stroker should have more power, but how much? I also know a stroker costs more, but if its gonna be faster, im willing to spend the extra money. Any other info is appreciated. Thanks! :D

XXXRACER165
11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
They give you about the same gain in power. Strokers somtimes don't rev as high.

honda300EXtreme
11-06-2007, 05:48 PM
the power should be about the same,

but strokers typically dont rev out as fast,

and with the stroker you will see more bottom end, as with the bore you'll see a little more top end

michaelj
11-06-2007, 06:54 PM
I have a stroker and my friend has just a bore job, I absolutley smoke him...

NacsMXer
11-06-2007, 08:00 PM
My previous motor was a 440 big bore and my current motor is a 416 bore x 7mm stroke (~452). Granted this is a bit more displacement than 440cc's but still, the stroker motor flat out rips compared to the big bore. A 440 stroker would be similar only it often uses a 4mm stroke instead.

You get two 440's together, one big bore, one with the 4mm stroke with the same compression etc...i'd put my money on the stroker any day.

The main question in terms of power is what accelerates your quad? What pulls you out of the turns harder than the next guy? Torque is what matters in this context, and the stroker is inherently superior in that aspect. If you're drag racing, where you rely on horsepower to keep you going at the far end of the track, the stroker won't be the best choice. In most other forms of riding the stroker is very versatile.

If you want info on the 452 stroker check out: www.gtthunder.com
another quality kit is the Powroll: http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_TRX400EX.htm

drew416ex
11-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey NacsMXer, how much is the crank and piston from gt thunder, they dont have it listed individually. Did you have to machine out anything in the crank case to get it to clear?

NacsMXer
11-06-2007, 08:11 PM
I couldn't tell you the individual costs sorry, as I had everything done at one time by Lazarus at GTT. If you give him a call or email he's a nice guy and should be able to give you a price breakdown. And yes, the lower cases need to be machined slightly to clear the longer throw of the rod.

drew416ex
11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
How do you think a 440 stroker compares to th 452. I know the 452 has more power, but do you feel a 440 stroker is still worth it?

GOTFEAR
11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
i would think the 440 stroker would be better than the 416 stroker. what i have sen is stroker cranks need and love bigger bore pistons and big valves and cam in order to run good and will rev out fast so get ready to Chang gearing.

NacsMXer
11-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah it's still worth it. The 440 will run hard without a doubt. I see the GTT kit is one compression point higher at 12.5:1 vs the Powroll's at 11.5:1. So you could imagine just bumping up the comp one point along with that much extra combustion volume. Not a huge change in power but there is a difference. Of course your cam, valves, porting, carb etc will have their say in this.

drew416ex
11-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I know the cam, porting, etc play a big roll also. And i found out that even though power roll advertises the piston to be 11.5:1, its only an 11:1 piston or at least thats what the sheet that comes with the piston says.

togup
11-07-2007, 07:13 AM
let me ask you guys this, i already have a 11.5 440 if i want a stroker do i have to get a new jug or can i use the old one(not sure if stroker piston is 89mm or not)and is the +4 a waste of my time?

NacsMXer
11-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by togup
let me ask you guys this, i already have a 11.5 440 if i want a stroker do i have to get a new jug or can i use the old one(not sure if stroker piston is 89mm or not)and is the +4 a waste of my time?

You don't have to change the bore size but your next viable choice is the 460 stroker (440 bore x 4mm stroke). These put out some huge numbers with the right setup, def not a waste of your time. I believe Hotrods (Wiseco) makes a 460 stroker kit for the 440's.

XXXRACER165
11-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by michaelj
I have a stroker and my friend has just a bore job, I absolutley smoke him...

Maybe his motor isn't built right. My 440 big bore makes enough power to smoke a 460 stroker that is built well too.

drew416ex
11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
We could go one with this stuff all day. My 416 outruns 440s, 440s out run strokers. Crap, why dont we just leave our engins stock? J/K. But really, its all in the setup. YOu can build two 440s the same, but i promise one will outrun the other. Maybe not by much, but thats how it is.

Wheelie
11-07-2007, 09:16 PM
I've been running a Powroll stroker for two seasons. As Nacs said, stroker's are where it's at.

Anyone who thinks a stroker is a slow revver---ride one, it will change your mind the instant you hit the throttle. Anyone who thinks they won't rev as high--ride one.

Strokers are more money, but IMO they're worth every penny. The power is incredible and easy to ride.

Here's a formula: Horsepower is nothing more that a mathmatical equation multiplying torque output by RPM's. If torque is substantially increased--what happens to the horsepower? It sure doesn't go down.

440 big bore VS 440 stroker--I'll take the stroker any day of the week.

drew416ex
11-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
I've been running a Powroll stroker for two seasons. As Nacs said, stroker's are where it's at.

Anyone who thinks a stroker is a slow revver---ride one, it will change your mind the instant you hit the throttle. Anyone who thinks they won't rev as high--ride one.

Strokers are more money, but IMO they're worth every penny. The power is incredible and easy to ride.

Here's a formula: Horsepower is nothing more that a mathmatical equation multiplying torque output by RPM's. If torque is substantially increased--what happens to the horsepower? It sure doesn't go down.

440 big bore VS 440 stroker--I'll take the stroker any day of the week.

This is what I was thinking, but then others post that strokers are slow. It only makes sense that If you are able to fill the combustion chamber with more fule and air it will go faster.

XXXRACER165
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
This is what I was thinking, but then others post that strokers are slow. It only makes sense that If you are able to fill the combustion chamber with more fule and air it will go faster.

Hmm maybe everyone needs to come up to where I live and ride my 440 big bore. People say there slow - well just ride mine. It has a top-end rush that beats every 400/405/406/416/426/440/460/465cc EX that I have raced! And yes i've raced more than 6 of each displacment (except 405cc only 1 so far). TIP FOR ALL YOU MODDERS OUT THERE - It's the porting! I know you have to have the right combo of other things, (pipe, intake, cam-etc...) but I had my cyl. head ported by a NHRA Pro stock bike engine builder. He ports each cyl. head to make MAXIMUM HP & TORQUE! So that is why I said what I did in the previous post.

drew416ex
11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
So that means with a port job like yours, a stroker would be insane.

drew416ex
11-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
Hmm maybe everyone needs to come up to where I live and ride my 440 big bore. People say there slow - well just ride mine. It has a top-end rush that beats every 400/405/406/416/426/440/460/465cc EX that I have raced! And yes i've raced more than 6 of each displacment (except 405cc only 1 so far). TIP FOR ALL YOU MODDERS OUT THERE - It's the porting! I know you have to have the right combo of other things, (pipe, intake, cam-etc...) but I had my cyl. head ported by a NHRA Pro stock bike engine builder. He ports each cyl. head to make MAXIMUM HP & TORQUE! So that is why I said what I did in the previous post.

I just wanted to confirm that I dont believe a 440 bigbore is slow. They just dont make as much torque than a stroker. I do agree with your head porting statement. A good ported head could make a stock ex run great, its all in how its done. But with a stroker, it gives the crank more leverage. Like using a 1/4" drive ratchet vs. a 3/8" drive, it gives you more torque.

michaelj
11-08-2007, 04:16 PM
I have the Trinity 465 stroker running on a stock carb and it is a dead even drag with the 660 raptor, the 700 is a different story, I need to throw a carb. on it and see what happens. It rips I am very pleased with it, its been 4 years and running strong!

Wheelie
11-08-2007, 09:19 PM
FWIW--My setup with the stock carb, stock gearing, and a slip on was dead even with a stock 700 Raptor--in the sand. I couldn't pull away from him, he couldn't pull away from me. I've since swapped on a 450R carb and a Yoshi full exhaust.

Another key to the stroker is the cam. Choose a cam with a longer duration to take full advantage of the longer stroke. Hotcams stg 3 works well.

drew416ex
11-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
FWIW--My setup with the stock carb, stock gearing, and a slip on was dead even with a stock 700 Raptor--in the sand. I couldn't pull away from him, he couldn't pull away from me. I've since swapped on a 450R carb and a Yoshi full exhaust.

Another key to the stroker is the cam. Choose a cam with a longer duration to take full advantage of the longer stroke. Hotcams stg 3 works well.

I was told by several engine builders to get a cam with shorter duration like a stage 2 hotcam becuase longer duration is for higher reving engines and strokers tend to make more power in the lower rpm range. Im not sure though. Have you tried any other cams other than the stage 3?

Wheelie
11-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I haven't. Stg 3 is the only cam I've run with the stroker.

Where an engine makes it's power is dependent mainly on the cam profile. However, porting and carburation also affect where the engine makes it's power, but not to the same degree as the cam.

If you're looking for low-mid power, then the stg 2 might be better for you. My setup has plenty of low end, more than a stock engine with a pipe and filter, with a mid-top surge that's sick.