PDA

View Full Version : Beach riders-Rust???

QuadJunkies
11-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Im just curious how ya'll keep your quads blingin when riding near the beach?
We done a Beach race at Taft and got no where near the water and within a week, our quads have several things that we will now have to replace :mad:
We are doing a full tear down and Re-powder coating ,just curious how you keep the rust to a minimum.
Do you coat everything odwn with a spray of some kind?

sonof_perdition
11-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't race but I do ride primarily at the coast. After each day ride or camping trip I spray my bike everywhere (except my wheels) with a 1:1 ratio or simple green and water. Then I take a scrub brush and scrub the areas where my chain lube flung onto my frame or swingarm, ect. Then I rinse the entire bike. After that I wash the entire bike (including wheels) with a car wash soap. After that I rince the bike again and then blow dry with air from an air compressor. I let it sit over night in my garage to finish drying. The next day i will armorall my plastics and polish my wheels with mothers aluminum polish as well as lube my chain. From time to time I have found a bit of rust in certain areas on my frame but its nothing that an SOS pad cant handle. There are certainly other ways to treat and prevent rust but whatever technique or product you use, you have to keep a clean and maintained bike.

QuadJunkies
11-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Our quads are VERY well maintained,but we didnt rinse each time we rode. Not on sand... For once it was actually nice not having a muddy quad to wash! LOL :p We have most of the parts PC'd even the axle.
We will have to work on something dif. for next season if we go to Pismo again,I kind of hope we dont. It was fun and a neat experience, but too much expense to fix afterwards.
Thanks for the info! :)

r450 duner
11-08-2007, 01:36 PM
i just wash it with car soap right atfer i get home....
i dont have rust anywhere

sonof_perdition
11-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Sorry. I didnt mean to make it sound like you didnt maintain your quads. I was just emphasising it. (Mostly for other riders who may not know how to maintain)

QuadJunkies
11-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by sonof_perdition
Sorry. I didnt mean to make it sound like you didnt maintain your quads. I was just emphasising it. (Mostly for other riders who may not know how to maintain)
lol not a problem.
this is the quads that raced while we was there.
;)
http://www.pbase.com/image/80761948/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/75798625.jpg

sonof_perdition
11-20-2007, 12:59 PM
That looks like too much fun!! I may have some MX questions for you. There is a MX track near my house here in Oregon. I have often thought of taking some time to do some amature racing or enthusiest racing. I notice your frames are painted or powdercoated. Did you do that yourself? I have been thinking of powdercoating my frame Candy apple red and was wondering what it might entail.

QuadJunkies
11-21-2007, 12:15 AM
That looks like too much fun!! I may have some MX questions for you. There is a MX track near my house here in Oregon. I have often thought of taking some time to do some amature racing or enthusiest racing. I notice your frames are painted or powdercoated. Did you do that yourself? I have been thinking of powdercoating my frame Candy apple red and was wondering what it might entail.
We PC'd both, but Pappy done mine.My Daughters green one was tough to do ,that we had to re-do .Its got an extreme chrome base coat.
He now has my Sons chassis and is goign to PC it Black Prism.
I cant wait to see it!
Go into BK Performance section and ask Pappy. He does AMAZING work,he will have an answer for you Im sure ;)
He done my frame on my 440ex.
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/71481162.jpg

sonof_perdition
11-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info. Im still learning to navigate this forum. Based on your quads and the pics that Pappy has on his thread, he does do great work. It makes me wanna do more that just my frame.

Happy Thanksgiving

QuadJunkies
11-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info. Im still learning to navigate this forum. Based on your quads and the pics that Pappy has on his thread, he does do great work. It makes me wanna do more that just my frame.

Happy Thanksgiving

Same to you!:)

richmond559
11-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Well i ride soley at pismo and have lil rust in the parts i cant reach with a wash rag..i spray armor all on anthing not metal and wd40 on the metal products then wash off asap with a pressure washer after we get back and do it all over again..Alittle some on start up but thats it...