PDA

View Full Version : Do 250r Lonestar A-arms Fit?

11-01-2001, 11:40 AM
MY FRIEND HAS NEW A-ARMS FOR A 250R AND I HAVE A 400EX WILL THEY FIT ON MY BIKE, AND IF THEY DO IS IT HARD TO CHANGE OUT? THNX

11-01-2001, 11:54 AM
I beleive they'll fit and it's not to hard to change out the arms but does take some time,,,you'll have all kinds of fun gettin the ball joints broke loose,,,I did.:D

11-01-2001, 12:00 PM
WHAT DO YOU MEAN, BREAKING THE BEARINGS, IS IT REALLY HARD, IM CHANGING MY AXLE AND HOUSING TONIGHT, BUT HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO CHNG THE A-ARMS AND HOW CAN I MAKE SURE THEY FIT

beerock
11-01-2001, 01:28 PM
hes talking about getting the top of the a-arms out of the spindles?
I would wack them with a rubber mallet.
he might be talking about trying to loosen the bolts with the a-arms in tact.

luckily mine came of easy, the old ball joints fell out.(they were kept together with bunge cords for two weeks, and worked great.

Mity Mo
11-01-2001, 01:34 PM
250r a-arms will not fit on a 400ex. They are different sizes. Sorry you will have to find ones from a 400.

11-01-2001, 01:56 PM
BUT WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND THOUGH, YOU SAY THEY DONT FIT, BUT I'VE SEEN OTHER POST AND EVRYONE SAYS THEY FIT, ON ANOTHER THREAD THEY SADI THE MAIN PROBLEM WOULD BE THE SHOCKS, HOW COME SOME SAY THEY FIT AND OTHERS THAT THEY DONT, CAN YOU ELABORATE, THNX

Mity Mo
11-01-2001, 02:55 PM
I own two race 250r's and one 426ex. The a-arms do not fit. As I have tried to match them up. You might be able to with a little negotiating of the upper a-arm but then your asking for trouble.

11-01-2001, 03:00 PM
Sounds like mo knows for a fact they won't work,,,thanks for clarifying that,,cuz there's been mixed answer for that question but you finalized it for us..

Mity Mo
11-01-2001, 03:03 PM
I just dont want anybody pissing there money away like I did the first time. I went out and bought 250r a-arms and they dont work. i was out a couple of bucks for buying them.

11-01-2001, 03:31 PM
THNX

thorspapa
11-01-2001, 11:59 PM
Mity Mo, the 250R a-arms WILL fit a 400EX IF you're willing to cut the frame attachment/bushing area down to the 400EXs size (easily done, even with chromemoly). Even with aftermarket a-arms, you won't have much camber adjustment, because the knuckle on the 400EX has a different angle than on the 250R, but I have mine at -4 degrees without a bind. I'm attaching a picture of a 400EX with 250R +2 a-arms. They were originally on my '86 250R, before I went put new stock a-arms on it. The 250R they were on can be seen in the classified section under "Nicest 250R in Ohio".

Mity Mo
11-02-2001, 08:25 AM
Do you race on those? I guess you could make them work but I do alot of racing and I wouldnt feel comfortable with that angle or cutting on them. But more power to you if you do. Thanks for the tip thorspapa.

11-02-2001, 08:29 AM
TNX ALOT GUYS , I GOTTA SEE WHAT IM GOING TO DO, THE REASON WAS BCUZ THEY ARE NEW AND FOR 300 BUCKS AI CANT BEAT THAT, BUT ANYWAYS, LET ME ASK YOU GUYS SOMETHINGMAYBE YOU GUYS KNOW, I'VE HAD MY BIKE FOR ABT 3-4 MNTHS, BUT ITS RUSTING AND THE FRAME PAINT IS STARTING TO FLAKE OFF, WHAT CAN I DO? THNX

Mity Mo
11-02-2001, 08:35 AM
how new is the bike? If it is fairly new take it back. If not always remember when your done riding for the day and you spray it of take some wd-40 and spray down the bike. It will keep all the parts from binding and rusting up on you. Other than that take it apart and get it powdercoated. some times if the bike is newer they might even split some of the costs to do that. Never hurts to raise your voice a little with these companies.:D

11-02-2001, 09:07 AM
its abt 3-4 mnths old

thorspapa
11-02-2001, 01:03 PM
Hey Mity Mo, I know what you mean about the lack of enough negative camber adjustment: under extreme cornering forces you can benefit from more than -5 degrees of camber. I've seen guys with as much as 3 inches difference between the top and bottom of the front wheel (about -15 degrees?). Reliability isn't an issue, since the strength of the part or frame attachment point isn't compromised by the triming. You probably race ten times as often as I do, and get much more air, I'm 46 yrs old and my body doesn't respond like it used to. Good luck

11-02-2001, 02:13 PM
SO IS IT HARD TO FIT THE A-ARMS,?

thorspapa
11-03-2001, 12:17 AM
Actually no. If you have installed a-arms before, it'll take you an extra hour (conservative estimate, it took me half that) to do the required trimming, then you just hook it all back up, adjust toe-in, camber, torque to proper values and you're set. I'd say total time for installation is about 2 1/2 hours. As always, allow extra time for those ball joints that refuse to just "pop" out, but with proper tools (not necessarily a bigger hammer) it's not hard to do.
Suggestion: do all the trimming to the "front" part of the a-arms, that way your arms will sit 1/4" farther forward (the aproximate amount you'll be trimming).