PDA

View Full Version : National Guard? Reserves?

alpinestr33
11-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Lately I've been thinking about joing the reserves or National Guard. I turned 18 in march, hvae full intentions on going to college but took off a semester for vacation. I've already taken my placement tests and should begin college in january, However I have no idea what i want to go for.

A few kids at California university of PA have been telling me about how they are in the guard and about their bonus/incentives.

I'm basically asking anyone who would know about my chances of going overseas and so-on. I'm bent on joining the service but want to avoid at all cost leaving the country. Is this possible? What branch of reserves are the most likely to keep me in america(new orleans, cali wildfires,etc.)

Thanks in advance

Ghost-Rider
11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
It's late and I'm about to go to bed so I will explain this as best I can.

Something about how the government screwed the reserves over big time. They sent them to Iraq, and shipped them home like 1 day short of 2 years or whatever the requirement for school help and whatnot is so they wouldn't have to give them any benefits.

Personally, I would just join the Navy, thats what I might end up doing at 18.

CDALEMX301
11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
??? Dude what are you talking about I never heard of the reserves not paying for peoples school??? any proof or anywhere i can read this?

Python
11-06-2007, 04:31 AM
If your afraid to leave the country, I wouldn't join the military in any capacity.

CDALEMX301
11-06-2007, 07:26 AM
The branch most likely to keep you in the US would be the Coast Guard...40,000 active duty members about 500 in Iraq....I was going to join CG Reserves but decided to go active duty and leave for boot Feb 5th...If you have any questions about it let me know...

Ghost-Rider
11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by CDALEMX301
??? Dude what are you talking about I never heard of the reserves not paying for peoples school??? any proof or anywhere i can read this?

English teacher told me, he is a writer for a lots of sports papers and magazines, he is a source that you can trust. Something about you must be on active duty for X amount of days to receive the same benefits as soldiers so they shipped them home a day early.

mephyst
11-06-2007, 06:09 PM
There are two types of National Guards... at least in California. One is a STATE militia National Guard. The other is the actual National Guard. I just had a guest speaker in my Criminal Justice class on Thursday come in an explain this to us.

Basically, the California State National Guard never leaves the country. They are here to protect our own soil and to help with disasters and so on.

You are required to go one day a month for training (unpaid) because it is considered volunteer work. They recommend that you go two days. The only time you get paid is when there is a disaster of some sort you must attend to.

Pappy
11-06-2007, 07:04 PM
The issue about the benefits is being resolved. The Army states it was a clerical issue that is holding up 2600 of the Minnesota National Guard units college money. Some are now receiving the money and it appears the issues is being delt with as fast any one can expect the government red tape to be handled. It shouldnt be an issue but it did happen, and i am glad it's being fixed.

If you dont want combat or deployment, do not join unless your MOS will keep you here. The Coast Gaurd could be the answer as posted before, but it isn't a cake walk either but usually no combat per-se'

One of my younger brothers was in the guard, served 2 years before heading to Kuwait in 92 but his MOS kept him fairly safe. He spent a total of 12 years in the guard (I think it was 12) and now works for a large aerospace company using the education the guard gave him along with the college it helped pay for. He wasn't worried about deployment (none of us were in the early 90's) but knew it could happen, but as a soldier he rucked up and did his duty with out complaint.

The military has alot to offer if you can handle it, but it is not for everyone. Think long and hard and discuss things with people who are active duty to get a real world grip on whats going on before you make your final decision. I would have loved to been in when we went to afghanistan or back to Iraq but now it would require some thought.

and read the fine print!!!

300EX_HMF
11-06-2007, 07:35 PM
im in the air national gaurd. best thing i ever done. Went to basic training then tech school for 6 months for electronics. when i get back i can get a full time civilian job related to my field. but then just do my drill weekends which is one weekend a month.
..............................CALL A RECRUITER.......................
www.goang.com

all info right here

CDALEMX301
11-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah man your best bet would be to talk to a recruiter...I did learn a lot of info at www.military.com there is a forum there that has some good info as well...

Prey
11-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
English teacher told me, he is a writer for a lots of sports papers and magazines, he is a source that you can trust. Something about you must be on active duty for X amount of days to receive the same benefits as soldiers so they shipped them home a day early.

you can trust him, but he is ignorant or just telling you the ½ truth that he wants

i believe what he is talking about is this, there are 2 separate gi bill programs (this is the collage money), the reserve gi bill is a little less than 1/2 of what the active duty gi bill pays, and if reservist are called active for a year or more they are eligible for the active duty bill (basically doubling their tuition money .....)

no one got screwed out of anything, if they weren’t recalled for the specific number of days, than it is what it is, the military is not gonna recall a unit just to save a few $ on tuition (which is paid out of reservist dollars and reserves are activated and de-activated by the active duty parents, joint chiefs of staff and dod based on needs of the military)

the other thing he forgot to mention, is for the reserves 1/2 of the active duty gi bill, they pay in nothing, when they are activated for a year and they get the full gi bill, they pay nothing, the active duty guys who get the full gi bill, have all paid into the gi bill program

F-16Guy
11-06-2007, 10:36 PM
You have to take the good with the bad. Don't join the military with your hand out expecting benifits if you're not prepared to earn them. As of right now, as a Traditional Reservist (one weekend a month, two weeks a year), you can only be required to fulfill two weeks of active duty training per calendar year, some or all of which can be at home station. Any longer deployments are strictly voluntary unless your unit is activated, which requires an act of Congress.
I would like to know why you want to stay in the country so badly? Have you ever been outside the country on your own? Its a great experience that builds character and gives you an appreciation for the privilages that so many Americans claim as "rights". Even if you did 4 years of active duty, it would go by so quickly that you wouldn't believe it. If you do join the Guard or Reserve, you will likely go overseas at some point, but it's not a death sentence like the liberal media would like you to believe. Our Units have made several rotations in and out of Iraq and the surrounding area with no problems. We have also gone on quite a few overseas and stateside deployments that were not in combat zones and were a lot of fun.
The military, whether active or reserve, is a great way to get money for school, training, etc., but it's also a great place to learn a little about yourself and life in general. Don't go in so close-minded and rob yourself of that experience. Join, get benefits, and see a chunk of the world on the taxpayer's dime.

Eviltanker
11-13-2007, 11:09 AM
You will have a better chance of not going over seas in the reserves. The national guard in PA gives the most money for school to include 100% tuition reimbersment for a state school. With Pa guard you will definately be going somewhere, It is not that bad like F16 said. If you are soo afraid of a combat zone stay away from the military for collage, go get a school loan somewhere else.

bwamos
11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
My reservation about joining up with either one would be that you would be grouped with a company of people whom many wanted reward without risk. Of course there are those that want to do their part to serve while they are still paying the bills with their day job and taking care of their families. But, wich guy is going to be covering your back? The dedicated or the disenfranchised?

Granted this is coming from someone whom never served in either. I was/am simply an Army brat. ;) My father served 15 in the Army and another 15 in the Guard so I've seen (from the outside) both worlds.

Not knocking the Guard at all. Not one bit. I would just make dang sure I got to know the unit I was most likley going to be assigned to before I joined up. You're putting your life in their hands.

MXcutie
11-13-2007, 07:33 PM
I dealt with being a military wife for two years... enough said!

54warrior
11-14-2007, 06:28 AM
I just spoke with a friend last night who is in the PA Nat. Guard. He said he'll be heading back to Iraq in October, for his THIRD tour over there!!!!

Eviltanker
11-14-2007, 06:46 AM
3rd? Did he go over as active duty? 28th has only been there with task force dragoon in 04 and 2nd BCT in 05. The aluminum coffins are going next year possibly, they got there warning order.
I will be heading in a few days for my 3rd trip over also, this time Afghan. Now isn't the time to be in the Pa guard since we are mobalizing more than ever. I've only been home from Iraq for 16 months!I don't mind so much though because, I didn't join for college money.

54warrior
11-14-2007, 07:00 AM
I think it's his third, and I don't know which unit he's in. He's from western PA, near Punxsutawney, if that means anything??

Eviltanker
11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
I do believe thats the 56th Strikers. Tell him I said good luck brother. I'm SSG Jost Demon Co. 3/103 Armor