PDA

View Full Version : starting to search for an r!

JIMFROMTEXCO
11-05-2007, 03:53 PM
im gonna be looking for a 250r and im gonna take my time to find one! what are somethings i should really look out for? i would like to find one pretty close to stock. what are the better years for reliability. i will be using it for trails. im really leaning towards an 88. but this day in age i dont think i would be to picky on a stock one. i really dont know to much about r's other then the fact that 88-89 are the best looking quads IMO, and 2strokes are the eaisest way to make some real power. plus there is no valve train maitnence.

mineralgrey01gt
11-05-2007, 04:01 PM
When I get another its going to be a 88-89 since it is 1000x easier to find parts for

TheFontMaster
11-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Practically every part, from every year is interchangeable with any other year. So finding parts is not hard to do. You really can't go wrong with any year R, they all have there own features that make something on one year better than another. If you build one, you can take all the differnet parts and put them together to make the performance better, and get it to siute your needs.

Things to look for are just your typical stuff. Cracks in the frame, oil leaks, check the bearings. Make sure it runs good.

JIMFROMTEXCO
11-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Would it be cheaper to just start from scratch and build one VS buying one? what year frame would be considered the best? what year engine? possible to use a liquid cooled atc250r engine? swing arms? i would like to keep it close to stock minus shocks and plus 2 axel and arms. How reliable are the engines in stock form? or with a slight stock compression overbore? I would like to start with a clean canvas.

250r4life
11-06-2007, 09:33 AM
no- it isnt cheaper to start from scratch...

i would buy an 88 or 89 if i were you... the plastic looks better, the swing arm is and looks better, the rims look better, they have the long rod, the 89 has the best clutch, theyre newer...

if youre gunna take your time, i would wait and find a nice 88 or 89...

criminalpoet
11-06-2007, 10:44 AM
88-89 is definitely the way to go! Whats your budget?

JIMFROMTEXCO
11-06-2007, 02:32 PM
not sure on a budget yet, i prolly wont really make a move untill spring/summer when the construction industry picks back up. just trying to figure out what to look/ look out for. i would prolly spend up to 4 grand on pristine conditon. so prolly id say 2500 - 3500. or if i could find a xc set up in awesome shape.

JIMFROMTEXCO
11-06-2007, 02:42 PM
if i had the money this would proly be in my garage this weekend! http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=319786&highlight=250r

Aceman
11-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I'll tell you what, as soon as you own one you'll wonder why you went so long without! I know I'll buy more quads in future but I'm sure I'll always have at least one 250r. Truly an amazing machine!