PDA

View Full Version : 86 r vs 08 Ltr

ringoesroadking
11-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Gearing advise needed!
Here is the situation. I will be racing an 08 ltr 450 with a pipe and computer upgrade. Here is my setup
86r Fresh on 2nd bore, ported, 195 compression, 38mm airstryker, vforce cage, lrd pipe, open airbox, dynatek cdi box, ricky stator lightened flywheel. After installing the flywheel my r goes through the first three or four gears much quicker. After launching in second, I shift to third in what seems like a second, and then 4th really quickly. The quad is still spinning pretty bad in 3rd. I have new 20inch razors in the back. my gearing is stock 13/39.
Do you thing I would have better acceleration with a 14t in the front to let the gears wind out a little longer? and have more time between shifts? Possibly better traction? I know from drag racing cars, generally the lower the gears the faster the acceleration, But at the same time Traction is everything. So i am stumped. My only concern with going up a tooth in the front, is me jumping out front only to have him reel me in once I hit 5th or sixth gears because it is an 86 and sixth is tall as it is.( right now my r winds out in 6th pretty quickly and easily. We have a 3/4 mile field, and this kid is talking **** and claims to have never been beat by a trx or yfz, which i find hard to beleive. although he does have witneses. I know my bike is pretty stock, at least compared to most of the big bore beasts on here, But I still gotta represent the 86r win or lose. Am I gonna get smoked? Are riding ability is pretty equal. I will post the results and hopefully a video. thanks

86 Quad R
11-05-2007, 01:34 PM
you should be able to pull 2nd gear lauches very easily with a 14/38 gearing with your setup provided you have the jetting spot on. :cool:

honda380
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
my R has about the same mods. and i use 14-38 it works fine for me. second gear starts are all i do, you gotta have it jetted perfect and wind it up a little more to start, but other than that, it is fine. if you have an extra 20 laying around, buy the 14 tooth as well as the 15 tooth; try both and see what works better. try 18in. tires as well if you got them. hope it helps a little....Corey

ESR250R
11-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I would stay with the 13tooth gear and get some better tires. i've never had luck with razr's, i would try out some kenda klaws. these tires work in both directions, one for hardpack and one way for loose dirt. i run a 14/38 combo on my quad but i have 18" tires on the back and my gearing is perfect for my national motor.

badtothebone250
11-10-2007, 09:37 AM
We all wanna hear how this one turns out. Show him that a 20 year old quad still hangs right there.:macho :devil: