PDA

View Full Version : race ready 450r?

redexrider4290
11-05-2007, 10:15 AM
i currently have a 04 450r with razr2 back ,razrs in the front fatboy4 full-exhaust k&n w/outwares, lid off, iron cross front bumper

Well i think i want to start racing a little bit nothing big or anything just like some "local" stuff or something and i was wandering what other mods i would need to do to race.

I understand i would need nerfbars and a kill switch but i was wandering what else like any-other motor mods or suspension. i don't have much money so i can't go buy like full-customized elka suspention or anything. But i am wandering what i would need to be at least competitive or close to competitve anyway

Thanks alot for any info i know a lot of you guys race and i would really apreciate any advice you can give me.

thanks

11-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Suspension is the most important mod when racing. I would get a steering stabilizer. A stick one is about $150. The cheapest way to get good suspension is having your stock shocks rebuilt. You can get it done at a few different places. They are all about $750 for a new rear link and all three shocks revalved and resprung for you ability and riding style. I have GT Thunder suspension and i'm very happy with the performance. The motor is the last thing I would do.

NeverLiftRacing
11-05-2007, 10:50 AM
i agree with the suspension and the steering stabilizer. handling and suspension are key to great performance. i would buy some +2 a arms and a +4 axle as far as the suspension goes i would have the stocks rebuilt by gt thunder. then you would be ready for any local race and class. and being on a budget i would go with a gforce axle, 200 new. i have to buddies who run them and havent had a problem with them and they look really good. as for the a arms you might check into full flight or something on ebay. your motor is strong enough to run any local race series for sure. all i have is exhaust, high compression piston and a port job for the pro class in ks. its plenty.

redexrider4290
11-05-2007, 11:41 AM
where can i get my shocks rebuilt? and will it really make that much of a difference i mean arent they still just the stock shocks? and if i am going to spend 750 on geting my stockers rebuillt then another say 600 on a-arms plus what ever for like brakelines and anything else i would need to make the a-arms work, wouldn't i be better off just like getting the I shock i4500 for like $1400(not sure if they make it for the 450r though)?

would it cost me 750 to get all three shocks rebiult? and where would i go to get that done and will they perform any better?

Steering stabilizer? would that deffinitely be something i need to invest in?

thanks for all the input i really apreciate it.

mx1791
11-05-2007, 12:13 PM
stock shock rebuilds are nothing like a stock shock. and better then the ishock front end imo. you wont need extended brakelines or anything with +2 a arms. and yes a steering stabilizer would deff. be something you wanna invest in.

$750 for all 3 shocks rebuilt AND a rear link
$475 for smc +2 a arms (lifetime warrenty)
$200 for a g-force axle
$150 for a steering stabilizer

$1575 total and your getting alot more then you would get with the ishock front end.

you dont even have to do it all at once, i mean you can be competitive in c class mx on a stock bike with just nerfs and a pipe. so start with an axle and steering stabilizer if your on a tight budget. then get a arms then shock rebuilds

NeverLiftRacing
11-05-2007, 12:23 PM
mx nailed in on the head. thats the route i would go. your stockers get revalved and respung for your weght and triple rate springs therefore making it a much pleasurable ride for you. and the gt thunder linkage for the rear really helps out with the rear end bump steer, it doesnt bounce near as bad. as for the brake lines the fronts are only like 50 bucks. and the steering stab. is a must have for racing. when you hit braking bumps and routes and take bumps from other riders you are going to need that reinforcement that it provides. plus your arms will not get as tired from battling the handlebars straight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX450R-450R-3-1-A-ARMS-FREE-SHIPPING-4-COLORS-FFR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43974QQihZ012QQitem Z220165834451QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

11-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Are you racing MX or XC?

mx1791
11-05-2007, 12:41 PM
if your doing XC, even better haha. all you'd need is shock rebuilds/link, skid plates and a steering stabilizer. you seem to have xc tires already so thats good..

redexrider4290
11-06-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm not really sure what i would be raceing. Proboly just whatever is around in southern PA/ Northern MD. I Think i would enjoy racing eitheir MX or XC thanks for all the input guys

thanks

redexrider4290
11-06-2007, 10:01 AM
The smc long travle a-arms are $600 not 475 and it says they have to have a longer than stock shock?

what else do i need to buy when i get a-arms (+2) to make them work? do i need new tie-rods,brake lines or what?

thaks for the help

tank69
11-06-2007, 10:03 AM
SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION

Listen to everyone, SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION.

You can have all the motor in the world, but if you can't apply it to the ground, what's the use?

d3ktrix
11-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
The smc long travle a-arms are $600 not 475 and it says they have to have a longer than stock shock?

what else do i need to buy when i get a-arms (+2) to make them work? do i need new tie-rods,brake lines or what?

thaks for the help

If you get your shocks revalved you will be using standard travel a-arms, not long travel.

SMC ST = $475
SMC LT = $575

redexrider4290
11-06-2007, 10:17 AM
so where would i go to get my shocks rebuit?
where can i get +2 a-arms that use stock shocks and are cheap?

Sjorge450R
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
so where would i go to get my shocks rebuit?
\
Derisi
GT Thunder
C&D Racing
and some other do the revalves. I sent mine to Derisi and had them back in under a week.

d3ktrix
11-06-2007, 11:05 AM

SMC standard travel is what your looking for
http://www.smcfabrication.com/

redexrider4290
11-06-2007, 11:29 AM
so i want standard A arms do they make them in +2? I'm sorry about the previous post i googled smc but i went to amstarmanufactring by mikstake.

So the site has +1+1 standard and+2+1 longtravle do they make a +2 standard?and the stock shocks will fit on them? and it says they come with tie rods but i would still have to get longer brake lines right? would i need to buy anything else?

thanks again you guys for really helpin me out

mx1791
11-06-2007, 12:07 PM
smc makes every length a arm. +1 +2 and +3 standard travel. you would want +2. you dont need anything but the a arms and tie rods that smc sends you

400exrider707
11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Make sure the arms are +2, +0. You dont want the arms any more forward, it decreases handling from my experiences.

NeverLiftRacing
11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
dont listen to this guy go +2+1.

Originally posted by 400exrider707
Make sure the arms are +2, +0. You dont want the arms any more forward, it decreases handling from my experiences.

400exrider707
11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by NeverLiftRacing
dont listen to this guy go +2+1.

hahaha yeah what do I know?:rolleyes:

d3ktrix
11-06-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm with 400exrider707, I prefer +2+0 over +2+1.

Bike is shorter and more agile.
Steering pushes less.

MAD450r
11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I bought my lonestar +2.5+1 on here cheap used. I then had bkperformance [a site sponser] coat them in the color I wanted before I mounted them up.

On the 450r I do find that adding +*+1 helps not hurts the handling. On the 400ex I do agree to stay with +*+0.

The rebuilt shocks work very well to me. I have a full aftermarket setup on my 416ex that handles well. My 450rs rebuilds handle as well if not better from the 450rs better geometry for a aggressive riding.

I didn't need to change my brakelines with +2.5+1, but im short and run a stock stem. If you go +2 arms and run +1 or more on your stem later then you may need to change you brakelines not before that though.

mx1791
11-06-2007, 03:10 PM
ive heard +1 foward is good on the 400ex. and idk about the 04/05 450r's couse i dont have one.

but i know for a fact on an 06/07 450r you DONT want +1 foward, i mean they handle horrible as it is, and +1 foward would probably just make it push more it turns

NeverLiftRacing
11-06-2007, 11:18 PM
exactly. if its a 06 or newer stay away from +2+1's or change the spindles to 04-05. as for 400ex i had +3+1 houser long travels on my hybrid 400ex/yfz426 and it was the best handling quad ive owned hands down.

Originally posted by mx1791
ive heard +1 foward is good on the 400ex. and idk about the 04/05 450r's couse i dont have one.

but i know for a fact on an 06/07 450r you DONT want +1 foward, i mean they handle horrible as it is, and +1 foward would probably just make it push more it turns

400exrider707
11-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by NeverLiftRacing
exactly. if its a 06 or newer stay away from +2+1's or change the spindles to 04-05. as for 400ex i had +3+1 houser long travels on my hybrid 400ex/yfz426 and it was the best handling quad ive owned hands down.

Well the 400ex hybrid was a completely different setup. You really cant even say that for a 400ex, you had a completely different motor in there, it will handle differently. Not to mention mathematically, the banshee is the only quad that really could benefit from +1 forward arms, unless of course you extend the rear end too, but even with that done, in REAL WORLD testing on my part, I find +1 forward to push WAY too much.

redexrider4290
11-07-2007, 10:04 AM
so if i get the +2+0 the a-arms would be the same distance forward as stock right? I have an 04 and i have never ridin a bike with extended a-arms so i have no idea about the +1 forward thing or not? and i have a stock steering stem so i could use the same brakelines with +2?

if i get the a-arms can i use my stock shocks on them for now until i get them rebuilt?

MAD450r
11-07-2007, 11:35 AM
On my 04 I have tried both and its better with it to me. Maybe it has to do with my weight im not sure. I am a small light guy. If only I was closer i'd let you try my r with it and I have my old frontend I kept for when I might need to switch out for parts or whatever. I'd let you try the +0 forward as well.

You would see for yourself which you like beter. Thats what matters most. We can all tell you our opinions andwhat worked for us. You maybe taller or heavier making your frontend stay planted better than I do.

With that being said you really should find someone with suspension done so you try it and see what you like. My R is out at 50 inches wide. One of my friends cant ride it in the woods he gets stuck alot and has to get off to backup. I dont but im use to the with and the trails I ride on.

yes with +0 forward its the same as stock.
Yes you can use you shocks for a while that way I did. If your a heavy guy you might have to stiffen them up some

When I had my burgard +2+0 arms on my r I had stock shocks on it for about 2-3 months. Then I had santo derisi redo all my shocks then I bought my used lonestar standard travel frontend used at the end of race season. They are what im going to stay with it. It handles so good this way.

redexrider4290
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
i am really not a big guy at all. Im about 5' 9-5"10 and weigh about 150 lbs(soakin wet:p )

redexrider4290
11-07-2007, 11:45 AM
so what exactly are the arguments for +0 and +1 forward?

mx1791
11-07-2007, 12:13 PM
of your keeping your stock swinger just stay with +2+0 a arms, and yes you can use stock shocks without rebuilding them on +2's temperarily (sp?) your shocks will just be alot softer..

11-10-2007, 09:03 PM
I got some really good parts if you want to get into racing. What year 450r do you have? I have a set of pep shocks that are zps and have 20 click rezzies. Also I have a rebuildable pep stabelizer and a set of 8 inch rear bajas with turf tamers and a polisport hood. that I am looking to get rid of. Let me know if you are interested.

redexrider4290
11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
i have an 04 and all that stuff you said about the shocks doesn't make any sense to me?
pep shocks, zps, 20 click ressies? i don't know what all that means

and about the stock shocks on +2 a-arms,
would it be bad if i put the stock shocks on +2 a-arms, how much softer would they be, could i just stiffen the shocks up some to compensate? and could anything bad happen from long term use?

thanks

i went riding with my buddy who races this weekend and i guess i would want to start racing c-class, are the modifications that were previously listed (a-arms,rebuilt shocks,axle,steering stabilizer) all i would need? What is the bare minimum i would need to be competitive in that class

MAD450r
11-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I would start saving once you put them on, but you can ride that way a while. You may have to stiffen them up some. Try it first. I found them to be pretty good in stock form on my +2 arms. I only weigh 140 in full gear myself :) im only 5foot5 so im smaller and lighter than you though.

mx1791
11-12-2007, 01:07 PM
in C class you can be competitive on a stock bike with nerfs, killswitch and a pipe. the bike doesnt need anything but a good rider... jump everything and pull good holeshots and you'll be fine.

if you dont wanna race a stock bike, then to start off get some a arms, an axle and a steering stabilizer and just save up for shock rebuilds from there

11-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Check them out its ebay Item number: 320181517892

FutureRacer
11-13-2007, 03:14 PM
check your private messages....... i have EXACTLY what you need

redexrider4290
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
so like if i go to a c-class race what are the people i am racing against gona have?

i mean maybe i haven't hit big enough jumps but i feel like you could hit some pretty big stuff on stock shocks?

thank you guys for all this help i really really apreciate it

MAD450r
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Some may have suspension and some may not. If you really have to keep things on a budget id widen the frontend and ride on stock shocks. You may have to dial them in some is all. Take a few laps on the tracks you may ride on and see where you need improvement mostly.
On my R i noticed the rear needs more help than the front does in stock form. I did both at once to save in the long run cost. You can widen your front now say and save to have the rear shock redone and maybe change the rear linkage as well. THen save more to send the fronts out later to have them converted as well.
No matter what I'd still widen to also lower you center of gravity making your R corner better and stay planted better under hard excelleration.

redexrider4290
11-19-2007, 10:23 AM
thanks alot that is what i am goin to do, I am saving for some nerfs now but then i'll be savin for some a-arms

anyone know where i can get this stuff cheap

thanks alot