PDA

View Full Version : 440 w/ stock carb jetting?

f4istunna
11-05-2007, 12:21 AM
I know jetting post are beat to death but i never really messed w/ carb work much until lately and want to be sure i have a good starting point.

just bought a 400 yesterday has 440kit, cam, fmf ti4 slipon, stock headers, stock airbox w/ uni filter.

It came w/ dynojet stage 1 kit and the main in it is 142 right now, the pilot is 38, and needle is all the way at top slot.

Wouldnt start when i got it, put new plug in and fired up, idles rough then dies if you dont give it gas. If you hold steady throttle around 1/4- 1/2 the rpms vary doesnt hold steady.

I cleaned the carb out good, tried a few diff mains 142, 150, 146 (dynojet)

Was thinking i need to bump the pilit jet up to give it more fuel at idle its 38 now was going to get 40 and 42. But when i do a plug check now its very rich (black and sooty) after just a few seconds running. Also puffs a little black smoke out of exhaust. I checked the plug color just revving in the garage not under load ranging from idle to a few half throttle checks. Was black (whole tip and some threads) after a few seconds either way. Should i go down ont he pilot jet to lean out?

I tired taking the aurbox lid off, still black plug? Im in ohio i think 850ft if it matters its about 45 degrees out avg this week.

Any suggestions what to try

thanks

f4istunna
11-05-2007, 12:28 AM
forgot to mention air/fuel screw is 3.5 turns out now also.

f4istunna
11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
just went out today and put fuel screw at 1 1/2 out, clip is still at top of needle, and changed to a 138 main. (dynojet), airbox lid off uni filter stock box w/ snorkel, 440, cam, slipon.

Still starts right up no choke (in heated garage). Now it seems to idle alot better, smoother anyway and doesnt try to cut out. I let it idle for 5 mins or so, checked plug carbon fouled. It also seemed to idle a little high, and the idle adjust screw had no affect on it??

I think im getting closer, sucks trying to jet a bike you didnt build :( didnt know where to start)

Any suggestions on how i can fine tune it from here?

feelthisroost11
11-10-2007, 02:39 PM
i had a 440, w/ j.e. 11:1 piston, white bros high lifter II cam, stock head pipe, fmf power core 4 exhuast,air lid on or off ran great either way, k&N filter, 170 dyno jet , clip position in the middle (depending where you are, u might have to play with this and the airfuel mixture), a/f screw 2 1/2 turns out ,ran great till i ported the head and added a stg 3 hotcam, so i did a 450r carb swap which really unlocked nice power gains all over the r.p.m. range, if u got a little xtra $$ it's deff. worth it. check ebay too.

f4istunna
11-10-2007, 05:40 PM
thanks for the reply, im going to mess w/ it some more this week and see what i can get. Right now seems to run rich and has 138 dynojet?

Ill post up when i mess w. it again prob mon when my clutch comes in