View Full Version : Wayne National Forest

Drtridr18
11-06-2002, 05:36 AM
Ok I'm finally making it to a real riding area this weekend, going to Wayne with like 5 other guys..a 250x, a 350x, 2 grizzlies, and maybe another but who knows. I've got my ORV sticker, gonna pick up the trail pass on the way down i guess, it's my first time down there, but not thiers.

Anything like details I should know about this place? Is it pretty cool? I like riding everything, like climbing hills, but don't want to get my a** kicked ya know?

Thanks guys, later..

SLB400EX
11-06-2002, 05:56 AM
WNF is a very cool place to ride!!!!!! The best for trail riding IMHO.
Some sections are pretty rutted up right now. Some of the hills are slick as sin. LOTS of mud. Last time out some of us wore rain suits to keep dry. Makes it more interesting if you ask me. :D I like mud though...
What area are you gonna be riding in?? Do ya know?
There are several of us heading there Saturday, hitting the Dorr Run trails first, then after lunch, probably hit the Main Corridor up to New Straitsville and back.

Have fun..be careful!!

later, Sherri

chavez
11-06-2002, 05:59 AM
lock your stuff up when you go riding
becarful of oncoming trafic

SLB400EX
11-06-2002, 07:00 AM
...and make sure someone has a tow strap.
;)

Drtridr18
11-06-2002, 11:16 AM
Already thought of the tow strap thing...haha the 2 grizzlies got our backs for that, they have winches...even better. I have no clue where we're gonna start or where we're gonna end, my first time down there, all new to me....looking forward to it! Prolly wear the carhartt bibs and waterproof rockys, the raincoat not a bad idea at all i guess.

Thanks for the help!

chavez
11-06-2002, 12:13 PM
its been raining down here the last two days and its cold

SLB400EX
11-08-2002, 05:24 AM
Just curious....
what day are you guys riding???
Saturday for us.

Might have to re-think my riding attire. :D S'posed to be 66 and partly sunny Saturday!!!!!!! Yeeeehhaawwwww!!!!

I can't wait!!!!!

Scott
11-08-2002, 05:38 AM
I was down there yesterday (Thursday), mud wasn't too bad. Carharts and waterproof boots and I stayed dry, but I didn't banzai the water holes either. The more technical trails are at long ridge, which is also where the fewest other people are. Dorr Run is always a traffic jam. Too many people for me.

SLB400EX
11-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Scott..any trail maintenance going on??
How's that hill off 278???

We've been doing those DR inner loops mostly, lot less traffic.

Thanks...Sherri

Scott
11-08-2002, 11:12 AM
I wasn't thru there yesterday, but I was told that the hill at 278 had been dozed off smooth enough for a pickup truck to get up it. Too bad, I liked it really rough. Kept a lot of people in Dorr run from coming on across to Snake Hollow, Long Ridge and New Straitsville. Less traffic.

Have fun!

SLB400EX
11-08-2002, 11:45 AM
We were there two weeks ago and it was still wild ride up thru that section!! :) They had equipment sitting at the bottom of that hill and we wondered what they had in mind....

Thanks for the info Scott!!!
Sherri

SLB400EX
11-10-2002, 04:29 AM
hey Scott....that hill off 278 is still a wild-as-sin ride to the top!! They haven't touched it ...
However..looks like they are making a bypass right at the bottom. Not finished yet though.

Did see a site that made us all sick..and mad..
:mad:
There was this lady riding a 400ex and she had a baby with her!!!!!!!!! No kidding, a baby, couldn't have been more than 6 months old. She was had him/her in one of those papoos(sp) style carries on her chest. She rode passed us in the Pop Shack parking lot and you could see the mud splashes on that little baby's face.
I'm sorry, IMHO...those d@amn trails are NO place for a baby.
:mad:

Did have fun though....
The trails were really busy.

Met Poyntman!!!!THAT was cool. :D
Hey Bryan..if you're reading this...hope you're not too stiff and sore today!!!! And I really hope you had fun....!!!
;)

Drtridr18...what did ya think of WNF??????? Have ya been yet?? Hope you weren't going today..the rain is coming down in sheets right now.
Hmmm, I should set our quads in the yard today, let the rain take care of that caked on mud....

Later...Sherri

Drtridr18
11-10-2002, 05:40 AM
Oh I liked it a lot, we went down there for the majority of the day Saturday. My first time down there, I'm sure we didn't touch a quarter of the trails to be had. Way more fun than any trails I've been on so far. I wish the group I was with would've remembered where some more of the better hills are though! All in all, a good time, and will go back, prolly not this year though-just getting all the guys and plans together, plus kinda getting late in the season. Is there any riding areas closer to where I live in Sandusky/Cedar Point area?

Thanks a lot!

Justin

Poyntman400ex
11-10-2002, 09:19 AM
Yea Wayne National was a blast. There was no way really to avoid the mud , but that was OK. The rutts were something else, deep and slick. Loved the straight away woop sections. Thanks SLB for the invite to ride I had alot of fun. And yes the body is alittle stiff. I have alot of cleaning to do. Just got the PRM skid plate yesterday. :devil

SLB400EX
11-10-2002, 09:31 AM
LOL Poyntman...the only clean spots are the levers!!
I'll wait til tomorrow to get our quads cleaned up...and all the gear too.
Can't wait to do it again..too bad it might be next year with the way Rob works.

Drtridr..what area were you all riding? Do you know? We rode the Dorr Run area. Had 4 400EX's, a Z400, a Rincon and a Grizzly in our group.
For future reference....there are some pretty cool hills on the Purdum Loop the guys like to play on. They can get some good air off of them.

Later..Sher

Braff1
11-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Some of us Indiana boys are looking for more places to ride and I keep seeing Wayne National Forest. It sounds like a kewl place to ride. I notice from your post you must have a ORV sticker and trail pass. Where do you get these from?

Dan

Drtridr18
11-10-2002, 08:31 PM
ORV Sticker came from Department of Motor Vehicles$7.75, trail pass came from some local gas station-daily pass was $5, dunno why the gas station, it was my first time down there-good experience fo sho!

SLB400EX
11-11-2002, 05:36 AM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/

Check out their site, follow the ORV link. Lots of info there, inlcuding a list a places that sell the trail pemits.
Of the three ORV areas..we ride the Monday Creek area.
As far as the state sticker goes..I'm not sure how that works since you are not an Ohio resident. I'll have to ask around, maybe someone in my group knows.

It is one heck of a trail system!! A bit on the rough-rutted-muddy side right now...but that just makes things more interesting!! :devil

Scott
11-11-2002, 08:14 AM
Glad to hear that 278 is still rough. I REALLY like rock crawling up that thing. That's why they make skid plates! But then again I prefer the ugly technical places over the wide open main corridor. If I wanted straight-a-ways with whoops and jumps, I'd go to a MX track. I'll take the spots that look like a tornado went though or a bomb went off.

As for the mud, I'll take that over dust every day of the week!

RAMBO
11-13-2002, 09:07 PM
Hey Drtridr, Rambo here from Milan. Aywhere to ride in the area? I have permission from a family in Milan to ride in thier woods but can cover all of it in an hour or so. I'm really looking to find somewhere to ride close by, any thoughts?