PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem

tman12345
11-04-2007, 06:12 PM
i have a problem with my 400ex, if i turn it off and try to turn it back on again, it will not do anything, nothing what so ever (ignition button being hit, everything is on correctly just don't go). but if i wait like a minute and try to start it again it works (cranks engine) any help would be appreciated, also if you could tell me if i need a part replaced where i could get it from. thanks

gcart2
11-05-2007, 04:32 AM
is it possible you got water in your electrical? spray everything down with wd40

<DRS>GPF
11-05-2007, 06:19 AM
does the starter relay come on?

will your lights come on while this is happening?

QuadManiac
11-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Turn on headlights. During failure to start, do the headlights go out also? If so, clean and tighten you battery connections. If not, clean your start button switch with contact cleaner.

tman12345
11-05-2007, 01:18 PM
what is the starter relay?

what is contact cleaner?

i will try all these solutions and get back to you?

QuadManiac
11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
First and foremost, buy a service manual and learn about your bike's systems. It will be worth a lot more than its price in the long run.

You can buy contact cleaner at Radio Shack. It's a spray that removes corrosion from connector, switch and other electrical contacts.

tman12345
11-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by QuadManiac
First and foremost, buy a service manual and learn about your bike's systems. It will be worth a lot more than its price in the long run.

You can buy contact cleaner at Radio Shack. It's a spray that removes corrosion from connector, switch and other electrical contacts.
yea my friend has an 01 and has a service manual, but he's not home now. but still whats a starter relay?

QuadManiac
11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
It's sometimes called the starter solenoid. It's like a big, remote controlled switch. A button designed to handle the current that the starter requires would be too large to mount on the handle bars. So they use a relay, a switch that will handle that much current, but is activated remotely by the bar push button switch. When you push the button, windings in the relay are energized which then magnetically close the large switch contacts which then pass current to the starter motor.

oldschool73
11-05-2007, 06:45 PM
quadmaniac that is the best description of how a relay works that I have ever heard. kudos to you ! I wouldn't have known how to explain it.

QuadManiac
11-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks oldschool, I guess my 25 years as an electrical engineer (and as a desert riding junkie) is worth something, after all!

gcart2
11-06-2007, 01:41 PM
quad maniac is the man! i just read 6 pages of him putting someone through the ground!! lol:p

QuadManiac
11-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Please! Don't advertise. I don't like getting into argumentative situations. But I won't put up with ignorant insults either. BTW, I'm in the middle of doing the calculations in a spreadsheet, and am about to empirically prove my position. Shhh!