PDA

View Full Version : 1st ride analysis(KTM 525)

kd228
11-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I have been racing mx for 2 years on full blown honda trx 450's. Every modification imaginable on both bikes. I just purchased a KTM 525 (couldn't resist) and took it out to The Landing Mx in Maryland for break-in period. After 2 laps, I just had to hit the jumps (moderate to pretty large doubles and table tops). The gearing was short and tight together but once I introduced myself to 4th out of the corners, the jumps were a breeze. On my Hondas, 13 / 39 gearing, I would corner in 3rd and will have to clutch it for days to hit big jumps. On the KTM, I would corner in 4th barely cluthing and pin it and could hit any jump out there and still had alot more to pull down the straights. My hondas have a tendency to bogg if I'm in a higher cornering. Not on the KTM, no bogg period in 4th gear. On my attempt to hit a long double(before I meet Mr. 4th gear), my rear tires clipped the landing and I flew over the bars and my bike went cart wheeling about 5 -6 times into a sediment pond about waist high. We pulled the bike out of the water and to my suprise the bike started without hesitation. The FRAME and every other component held up with no breaks, bends or dings. I did put some fastt flex handle bars on and some razz mx (18" rear and 19" front) on 3/2 offset hipers. Also used spacers on rear. KTM did not feel tippy at all. I set my suspension half in the front and rear. I love the KTM and plan to race my pretty much stock bike at Budds Creek in 2 weeks against full blown MX quads rather than my Hondas. I'll let you know how I did.

BlaineKaiser450
11-04-2007, 04:30 PM
sounds awesome

spanky101
11-04-2007, 05:33 PM
sounds really good. Do you have any pictures of your bike? Thanks

Quad_Runner
11-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Nice review...

carnutvic
11-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Go see Andy at Dirtfirst.He is in Baltimore and should have a pipe/jetting setup for you.If you do not get the holeshot with it,I would be surprised.If you want to see just how much power the 525 has,put it in 3rd gear from a standing start and rip it.I know with the 20 in. tires on mine it would power wheelie away from a dead stop.Those 18's should really make it rip even more off the bottom.How about those front brakes?Pretty sweet aren't they.Don't worry about slipping the clutch,it is pretty stout.I abused mine in a soft sand pit and it never slipped or faded.
I would take off the stock skid plate on the rear axle before it breaks off and de-rails the chain.that cost Andy a dnf. Andy has a better skid plate for it made out of aluminum.

kd228
11-05-2007, 04:02 AM
I got the bike from the dealer a took it straight to Andy. Andy does the work on all my bikes, my sons bikes and all my riding partners bikes. He helped me make my final decision to buy it.

inthewoods10
11-05-2007, 06:42 AM
i notice you put flex bars on, what did you do with the ignition cluster?? I think that is the only part that was an after thought on this bike.

carnutvic
11-05-2007, 06:44 AM
How old are your kids and what do they ride? Have you been to Breezewood? We went this past Fri. and Sat. It was awsome. We are going again this Sunday,it is a great place to break in a new quad.Good training for all ages on moto.

carnutvic
11-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Another Bpg pic.

carnutvic
11-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Dad

Dupontster
11-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Kenny! I was told you bought a KTM..... We went to Seaford sunday you shoulda came.

kd228
11-05-2007, 04:50 PM
What's up Chris. You see I'm still casing doubles. I went to the landing because my kids really wanted to ride and seaford doesn't have a kids track. If you guys are going to seaford next weekend let me know. My kids are ages 4 - DRX 50 (ported and polished by Hetrick racing) and KTM 50 mini adventure , age 3 - DRX 50 and LTR 50 and my newest racer age 2 - Eton viper 40cc. He just enjoys ramming our house and running over the garden. Since I put the fast flex bars on, the ignition is under the hood, zip tied to the frame. Not ideal but works for me.

atva_63
11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I am not second guessing your speed but I plan to race mx with the 450. What class will you be raceing in so I know the potential of the ktm. Have you done any mods to the motor, exhaust , intake. Also what mods did your honda have, motor wise

inthewoods10
11-06-2007, 07:14 AM
go to hmf site and forums, ktm 525 thread and you can see the dyno for stock vs there slip on and what mods they made to air box carb etc. Pretty nice gains for relativley little money i like the torq gains as well because the thing is much better than a 45o already on torq, and remember there testing at the rear wheel hwere as ktm advertises hp at the crank.

kd228
11-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I will be racing definitely in Quad Vet 30+ and if I have the energy A class also. It will be hard to do on Saturday because my son will be racing in 4-6 and I will need to get him ready and be on the track when he races. I finished 4th in B class last year. My KTM has no engine work and stock pipe. I plan to run it stock this first race and see where it stands. My hondas, well thats a different story. 05' TRX 450 - this is one of Joe Byrds race bike from the 06' season that I purchased from him. Dasa did all the engine work to the fullest. 06' TRX 450 - Dasa did that engine to match th 05'. I'm sure it is not identical but the power is very close. I would use the 06' to practice and the 05' to race but the power was so different, i just had to get the 06' engine done also.

atva_63
11-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Did you mess with the ride height after you put smaller tiers on?
How well did the rear no-link feel on the track?
Did the 3+2 wheels put you around 50"?

spanky101
11-06-2007, 07:34 PM
kd228, im really curious to how your ktm looks, GET SOME PICTURES! ha

kd228
11-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by atva_63
Did you mess with the ride height after you put smaller tiers on?
How well did the rear no-link feel on the track?
Did the 3+2 wheels put you around 50"?

No, I didn't do any thing to the ride height. The no link felt basically the same as my other bikes. I just have to get use to a more laid back power delivery. On the straights I'm fine, but approaching large doubles and triples I had trouble judging distance because the gearing is totally different from what I normally run. The only issue I had was the thumb throttle. I had to extend my thumb all the way to push it in to accelerate. Also it was stiffer than what I'm use to running. I will either put a honda thumb throttle on or change the smping definitely. The 3+2 wheels put it out to 46" and the spacers in the rear put it to 46 1/2. I consider this bike a twenner. I can run motocross and be comfortable or hare scrambles and be comfortable.

kd228
11-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by spanky101
kd228, im really curious to how your ktm looks, GET SOME PICTURES! ha

I've tried to post pictures using jpeg and all files but it tells me file size too big. I've tried picture along with no words and the same thing. If you can give me a quick tutorial, I would be more than happy to posts pictures.

Dupontster
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by kd228
I've tried to post pictures using jpeg and all files but it tells me file size too big. I've tried picture along with no words and the same thing. If you can give me a quick tutorial, I would be more than happy to posts pictures.

Hey Kenny...Robin (Pop Dup) here.....You may need to resize the pictures to post them....I just use "Paint"....Open Paint and go to "File" then "Open" and find the picture you want to resize...Open the file and you should see the picture...Then I go to "Image"..Click on Image and open "Resize/Skew" You will see a box that has 2 boxes in it that says "Horizontal and Vertical" There should be the number 100 in them....change the numbers to 50 and that should bring them down...If you think it is too small you may only want to put 60 or 70 in the boxes...Try that and if you still have a problem, I'll call Johnny and get him to come over and set you straight....

john cunningham
12-19-2007, 01:38 PM
ANY ONE LOOKING FOR A GOOD SKID FOR THE KTM / I HAVE DESIGNED ONE AND AM TESTING WEEK AFTER XMAS IN FLA. THEN ILL MAKE ANY CHANGES THEN ILL HAVE THEM READY

chad6713
12-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm looking. PM me when you have some info. I need something strong to run the GNCC's with.

bryishre
12-20-2007, 06:50 PM
hey John are you making a skid for the swingarm also wouldnt want to get my chain derailed during a race

john cunningham
12-21-2007, 06:52 AM
THE SWING ARM SKID IS WHAT I HAVE DONE IT LOOKS GOOD SO FAR I HAVE A 1 1/2 MILE LOOP AT MY HOUSE THATS 2/3 ROCKY AS HELL ITS WORKING GREAT SO FAR I HAVE ONE LITTLE CHANGE TO MAKE THEN ILL MAKE A BUNCH OF THEM TO SELL
THEY WILL BE 3/16 MATERIAL AND PLATED AT THE MOUNT HOLES AND ALSO CROSS GUSSETTS

bryishre
12-21-2007, 07:37 PM
well let me know when they are ready and pm me a price please so i can start saving or be like man thats high dollar lol

john cunningham
12-24-2007, 06:23 AM
bry they should be around 100 bucks with bolts

Britboy
12-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Johns skidplates are awesome- i ran one on my honda for almost 2 seasons!!

u got any made up for the suzuki's yet?

bryishre
12-24-2007, 03:34 PM
wow thats high dollar lol just keep me posted when they are ready so i can get one from you