PDA

View Full Version : Shock Rebound

ohsobad_chevy
11-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I am trying to decide on buying a pair of shocks and need a little help.

I am looking at Elka's and I can buy the piggyback ressy, triple rate springs (standard travel), compression and ride height adjustable and ZPS for $845.00 shipped. The same shock with adjustable rebound is about $1,000 or so.......will the adjustable rebound shock perform much better?

P.S. My stock shocks are rebound adjustable, but I cannot tell a difference. As you all can tell, this is my first time buying after market shocks so any help is greatly appreciated. :)

11-04-2007, 11:03 AM
rebound and preload are the only adjustments i make to my shocks. rebound will either slow down or speed up the rate at which shocks retrurn to their normal position. Adjusting the rebound on my rear shock made such a diference vs stock settings it was night and day.

mx1791
11-04-2007, 11:29 AM
if you buy the shocks new from elka they will set them up for your specs. rebound on the front is not too important if they where set up for you from elka to start with. i never touch the rebound on my axis, and i didnt touch it on my stockers either. on the rear however rebound is a must imo. rear rebound adj is great to have if your riding a place thats very wooped out, etc..

ohsobad_chevy
11-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by mx1791
if you buy the shocks new from elka they will set them up for your specs. rebound on the front is not too important if they where set up for you from elka to start with. i never touch the rebound on my axis, and i didnt touch it on my stockers either. on the rear however rebound is a must imo. rear rebound adj is great to have if your riding a place thats very wooped out, etc..

You are about the 100th person that has said that about rebound in the front shocks.

What all goes into "setting a shock up" for a rider.......I know weight has a lot to do with it, but valving is important too. I ride a lot of dunes, but then again, I also ride a lot of trails and free-riding situations. I was told that an MX valving would be too harsh, and a dune valving would be too soft......so should I get the XC valving? :confused:

11-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mx1791
rear rebound adj is great to have if your riding a place thats very wooped out, etc..

exactly, were i ride mot of the trails are covered with whoops some days worse than others so i adjust the rebound depending on the size and how many whoops there are. rebound made jumps smoother landing for me aswell because it compressed and didnt spring back right away so it felt much smoother riding off of a landing.