PDA

View Full Version : 420ex wooohoooooo

knighttime
11-01-2001, 09:06 AM
Well, I'm done talking about it. I just ordered all the stuff for the 416 kit including the camshaft from Marcum's ATV. I found a local shop to bore out the engine, and I'm gonna do the rest myself.

Approximately how many hours does it take to install the kit (piston, camshaft, etc.)?

P.S. Hey yo VWVR6, I know a guy that has an engine shop that can do the boring. He's fast and very good. His shop is behind H.P Starr. (Dunk Competition Engines)

11-01-2001, 09:12 AM
well kewl beans,,,,I'm thinkin like 2 hours for labor time. did Terry mention the better valve seals to ya??? they cost 2 bucks a piece and he said they would with stand heat longer and last longer..I just ordered some for mine on tuesday,,plus he can mail them too ya not ship UPS or anything..ya might wanna check on that..I've got about 1 more week till i'll have mine done,,,sending off my rear shock to Terry for a rebuild,,soon as it gets back the motor work starts,,,woooooooooo hooooooooooooo.

barbwire44
11-01-2001, 09:14 AM
the motor can be removed from the frame and dissasembled in about 90 minutes. Reassembly after its bored will be about the same maybe another 15 minutes for the extra time in torque specs. Not bad though if ya had a boring bar in youre garage you tear down and rebuild in one evening pretty easily.:devil

knighttime
11-01-2001, 09:45 AM
Does the 416 kit come with the specs of what dimension the cylinder should be bored out to?

11-01-2001, 09:55 AM
well the piston came with some paperwork but I didn't really look at it. Well the machine shop should be able to measure the stock bore and then it will increase by 2 mm. from 85 to 87.

86atc250r
11-01-2001, 10:38 AM
Actually they'll measure the piston and bore to the appropriate clearance, as specified by the piston manufacturer or by experience.

Arbitrarily boring 2mm over will get you into trouble, as there will be differences in piston to piston.

Do not allow anyone to bore the cylinder that will do it without having the piston in hand. Also don't allow them to bore it if they aren't going to measure the piston and set the clearance accordingly.

The paperwork should tell the machinist where to measure the piston (they are barrel shaped, not perfectly cylinderical), and what clearance to set from that point. Make sure your machinist either gets that paperwork or calls the piston manufacturer.