PDA

View Full Version : mx250r

badtothebone250
11-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I've raced mx with my dirtbike for a few years now and this next season im gonna try the 250r. As of now it is all stock chassis and suspension. It has 20x11x9 in tires on the rear and 21x7x10 in on the front. I have a guy that says he will sell me a lonestar axcalibur axle for a decent price. Are these axles widened and should I purchase it. Also, im 17 and money is kinda tight right now trying to finish my cr134. So, my question what would be the first step in trying to start an mx build. I'm wanting to race a little indoors this winter, so a complete tear down wont be coming until late winter. Thanks:D

atvmxr
11-04-2007, 10:00 AM
if the axle is cheap, then it wont hurt, but I dont think I would put that first on the mods.. first you need nerf bars and a kill switch. then I would at getting some 18" rear tires or switch your front sprocket to a 12 tooth if running 20" rear tires. The front tires are fine for now. then you reach the splitting point, you can either start trying to get more power or start updating the suspension. how modded is the R? pipe, silencer, air filter, reeds. then you get into the motor for a thinner head gasket, porting, carb swap.

susupension get wider A-arms and that wider rear axle and aftermarket suspension to work with it.

badtothebone250
11-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention it already has nerf bars, a thinner head gasket, fmf sst pipe and powercore 2 silencer, k&n air filter, and a lonestar axle carrier, and I changed the gearing to 14/38. The kill switch is probably next on the list now that you mentioned it. Another thought that came to mind is should I have the frame gusseted before I start racing it or will it hold up fine?

atvmxr
11-04-2007, 10:56 AM
if you are running 20" rear tires, 14/38 is not the right gearing. 14/38 is when your running 18" rear tires.

sounds like the axle would be a good purchase now. If you get good aftermarket suspension the frame will last longer than when you are bottoming out with the stock suspension. it the bottoming out that transfers the forces to the frame that will eventually cause breakage.

badtothebone250
11-05-2007, 02:47 PM
The reason I am running the 14/38 gearing is because I had the intentions to switch to 18 in tires. How much wider a arms and axle should I run. Are the lonestar axles +2 or +4 in wider?

mxduner
11-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by badtothebone250
The reason I am running the 14/38 gearing is because I had the intentions to switch to 18 in tires. How much wider a arms and axle should I run. Are the lonestar axles +2 or +4 in wider? the axle can be altered either +2 or + 4 depending where you install the spacers