PDA

View Full Version : Leakdown testing, who does it?

Aceman
11-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm putting my motor back together right now and am having a hard time getting the reed gaskets to seal using the ole Windex test to find leaks. I think I'm going to try using the Tusk gaskets from Rocky Mtn again, they seemed to hold pressure better than these Pro-X and K&S gaskets I've been trying to use.

So do you guys leakdown test every time you disassemble the intake or do you just slap it back together and assume it seals good enough? Maybe I'm just being anal but it really shouldn't be leaking at all. If all else fails it's getting a generous coating of high-temp silicone! :chinese:

GPracer2500
11-04-2007, 12:02 AM
I do a leak down test when doing top-ends. If I was just pulling a reed cage, I probably wouldn't bother to take the time. There's certainly nothing wrong with doing one though.

wilkin250r
11-04-2007, 01:47 AM
I'm with GP on all counts. I don't bother when just doing the reed cage, but I would certainly do it if the reedcage had a HISTORY of leaking.

aztecgwynn
11-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Invest only in oem gaskets I have tried cometic head gaskets and lucky for me I didnt blow my cylinder. I know oem can get very pricey but in the long run well worth it just my $.02.

Aceman
11-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys, looks like I'll try some factory Honda gaskets. I've got nothing to lose right now although I'm not sure they'll work any better since they're made from a similarly made stamped paper. I've had 2 different intake setups on this thing and they both leaked, VF reeds with a stock boot and now a CR rad valve with a reed spacer. I thought maybe the intake boot could of been warped so I tried the rad setup, still leaked, it's gotta be the gaskets....

86 Quad R
11-05-2007, 10:33 AM
i use hi-temp sealant regardless of the gasket being used.

hang1p
11-06-2007, 02:12 AM
+i agree with the others leak down on rebuilds but i would go with yamabond, before hi temp silicon