PDA

View Full Version : suspension settings

QIKLTR
11-03-2007, 07:04 PM
i am curious to know what rebound compression and preload settings you guys are running for xc. also what you guys weigh for your particular setups. i am trying to dail in the suspension. after coming of of an ltr this thing feels a little tippy and wants to 2 wheel quite a bit.

didntseeitcomin
11-03-2007, 10:32 PM
What other differences do you notice between your old LTR and your new KTM, power, weight, handling. Please give a ride comparison, that hasnt been done yet. Only a couple ride reports hace been done but no comparison between any orher quad.

Quadevil
11-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Yes i would like to know to :)
A friend of mine has an LTR 2K8 SE and it's more wide than KTM 525 so i'm curious.

spanky101
11-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I can imagine this bike is gonna feel a bit more tippy for you because its about 3-4 inches narrower i think. But your just gonna wanna soften it up a bit it seem like to me...

Quadevil
11-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by spanky101
I can imagine this bike is gonna feel a bit more tippy for you because its about 3-4 inches narrower i think. But your just gonna wanna soften it up a bit it seem like to me...

Yes i understand. But, how about the MX A-Arms in the front and spacers (don't know if it's the correct word) in the back?
The LTR 2k8 feels really stable and i had a ride in my friends bike and was looking that KTM would feel at least the same way or better if possible. I don't like narrow...

carnutvic
11-04-2007, 11:42 AM
I had an 06 ltr 450 and it is a much better mx machine than the ktm.Tire size makes a huge difference and the stock KTM tires are a great xc tire but not a good mx tire.The ltr is much more stable than the KTM and it corners better because of the stock 18 in. tires and the wider stance.The KTM has an even lighter steering feel than the ltr,almost too light.The KTM chassis feels shorter and it tends to snap spin instead of gradually sliding.Again,tire choice is in favor of the ltr,I am sure the KTM will be a great mx machine with 18 in. wheels, +2 a-arms and a lower ride height.There is no comparison in the power department.The KTM makes BIG bottom power and still revs to the moon.It is after all a 525.

QIKLTR
11-04-2007, 03:37 PM
the ltr is by far a better mx machine after all that is what it is designed for and the ktm is not. in my opinion the only thing the ltr is better at is cornering stability. the ktm has way better suspension better power of course and i think the steering feel is better too. even though the ktm is designed for the woods, it still sits to high, from frame to the ground. that is why i think it feels so tippy. I dont think there is enough preload adjustment in the shocks to lower it enough to make a difference. i could be wrong though that is why i am asking for everyones suspension settings for xc racing. the ktm feels significantly lighter in every aspect, riding and simply picking it up to put on a stand.

inthewoods10
11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
i am sitll working on tryong to get more sag on the ktm, ktm already has a racer kit coming for the rear shock as they are aware for the most part it is sprung to stiff. The rear is a 250mm by 62 spring, i changed to a 270mm 58. It helped out alot and being the rear is a pdf shock is still doesn't bottom out hard. The fronts, still not super happy yet with that, changed to a stiffer main with softer tender, not what we wanted, back to stock set up and unloaded all the preload to .5mm, basically nothing and unning that right now until we can get some softer main and longer tender springs and try that combo to get a bit more sag.I am 200Lbs and mainly gncc race so not hitting huge jumps all the time.

QIKLTR
11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
what kind of preload were you the happiest with in the rear with the stock spring? what measurement are you ending up with from the frame to the ground at the pegs and 22 inches forward? how much sag is your setup giving you?

inthewoods10
11-06-2007, 07:09 AM
i didn't like the stock rear spring at all unloaded preload completely and still to stiff for me cross country racing. Maybe for mx the stock rear will be good. As for the front right now we are back to the original set up with only 2mm on preload on the tender spring sleeve. we tried softer tender springs and stiffer main that didnt work and we didnt have a softer main at the time. Right now I have 10 1/2 inches of clearance at the pegs and 22 inch from the front bumper. 2 inches of sag both front and rear, looking for another inch or so without hurting the turning characteristics. the old rear was a 62nm the new is a 58 nm and running 7mm of preload so i have some adjusting to play with on the back now. the back is also longer now 250 mm to 270mm. will be trying somemore setups this weekend hopefully, as ohlins is close by and have some different springs in now. Honestly to me its seems ktm built a xc quad with a mx shock set up.

ccrider24
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Finally got my 58x 270 rear (someone bought the last one in the states, wink, wink,) they had to get another from sweden, and I went with a renton tender spring in front 3" long with a 2"I.D. and the same rate, running it on the second clip position and with my 200# arse on it it it measures 71/4 under the pegs and 7 1/2" where it starts to kick up forward of the pegs, works great in the rear as inthewoods said, front needs the crossover raised up some as it rolls a little too much to my liking, but overall , a world of improvement over stock ht/rate springs.

CCRIDER

QIKLTR
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
thanks for the info guys it is greatly appreciated!!!