PDA

View Full Version : Double clutching

bigbadbrad
11-05-2002, 09:28 PM
can some one explane this concept to me i know it is not for atvs it is for trucks. I drive farm trucks everyonce in a while (they are standard) and i was telling some about this and they asked me if i have to double clutch it and i said no because i did not know what double clutching was can some clue me in please

skinrider440
11-05-2002, 09:45 PM
double clutching is when you clutch it to take it out of gear let it out and push it back in to put into another gear.

crashinmatt
11-05-2002, 09:49 PM
skinrider440 was right. it makes it go into gear smoother and i can tell u from experience, if u do it right there isnt any grindin at all. i was told u only need it for big trucks. and also u can"float" the gears, which mean snot usin the clutch except when u stop or start goin. it takes some practice but its easy once u know what ur doin.

skinrider440
11-05-2002, 09:51 PM
a lot of racers use it to. just come to mind if youve seen fast and furious they talk about double clutching.

cabex
11-05-2002, 10:03 PM
I don't get it how do you do it. what do you meen take it out of gear. then put it in a gear? and how does this make it smoother?

thanks

skinrider440
11-05-2002, 10:08 PM
clutch, take out of gear, unclutch, clutch, put in to gear, unclutch, haul *****

2K1 300EX
11-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Double clutching builds more pressure so it lets you shift smoother.

nakomis0
11-05-2002, 11:06 PM
I double clutch when I drag race my 400ex on hard packed.

I just get the revs up and when the flag drops, I release the clutch, pull it back real quick and release it again with a snap.

I get a mean holeshot with it. People ask what the heck are you doing. I tell em, and then I let em try it, they jump on my bike practice it a few times and then they get it down pretty good.

I swear it works awesome:macho

Castor-426ex
11-06-2002, 01:30 AM
on any non sychronized tranny youll have to double clutch...i think

11-06-2002, 06:03 AM
yea the reson for douple clutching was way back when they didnt have sycro gears in the tranny and it would allow the gears to slow down and mesh easier or something like that. But what i relly dont get is why you say race car drivers douple clutch! It takes alot longer and isnt nessesary. If you believe everything he says in that movie then you got alot of bad info. I talkted with my boss about this for about an hour and it takes about 3 times as long to double clutch then it does to regular shift and when your racing your looking for time not to save your tranny Not to flame you but from what iv learned you dont do it when your racing
killer

Ryan
11-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Yeah and I don't see why you would do that with a motercycle. The mostly do that with tractor trailers but none of the drivers care anyways about the trucks. they only use the cluch to start in first gear, after that in all the other gears they just shift (not using the cluch). I would not bother doing it on a quad.

OCCRA288
11-06-2002, 08:33 AM
The only reason for double clutching is to get that old 69' International to drop into gear.

Ryan
11-06-2002, 08:44 AM
yeah thats true. They mostly use them for the old army trucks that they use to farm with. I wish I owned one of those trucks, lol

bigbadbrad
11-06-2002, 01:32 PM
ok i know what it is know and the farm i work for only has 60-70s trucks so i gotta do it. i have doewn it. now that i know what what i was doing is called i realize i was double clutching

NTPRacing#19
11-07-2002, 04:08 PM
double clutching while racing is the stupidest thing i ever heard. if you double clutch while racing you are retarded. Takes so much longer to get into gear. it doesnt make anyone any faster, makes you slower if anything. in drag cars they dont even use a clutch they just slam those gears into gear. sometimes even nascar drivers dont use their clutches. just my opinion and i think most people can agree with me on that one

RideRed04
11-07-2002, 04:59 PM
I have to double clutch with my jeep to go from 3rd to 2nd. The proper way to do it is: push in clutch, take out of gear (put it in neutral), release clutch, tap gas (this makes all the gears spin the same speed, because they are all meshed together in neutral), push clutch in, put in next lower gear. You usually shouldnt have to do it on the upshift. Most (road)race cars are un-syncroed, so they have to do this in the corners. What they do is tap the gas with the corner of the right foot while applying the brakes. Floating the gears is when you dont use the clutch, and "feel" your way into the gear by applying a slight pressure until it slips in. Very helpful if your clutch goes out, it will get you home.

Nausty
11-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Why is that when your say in 4th gear and you pull in the clutch and stop that you can't shift down more than one gear sometimes and you have to slowly let out the clutch until it starts grabbing tell you can shift down again? lol, maybe i'm just imagining things.

RideRed04
11-08-2002, 09:29 AM
Nope, your not imagining things. What is happening is the gears need to be moving to shift, so when you are at a stop, the forks can't move more then one gear. When you realease teh clutch a bit, you take the pressure off.