PDA

View Full Version : to buy...or to build.

hondarider2006
11-03-2007, 02:36 PM
well I have the chance to buy a buddies MINT '06 450r for $3800...and am going to be doing MX. I want to replace everything...and when I say everything, thats what I mean. It will be getting stripped...frame pc...long travle all around...the works.

I was thinking of going that route...or to just build a 450r. I mean if I buy his, then I have a **** load of stock parts laying around...that I will never need and are a pain in the *** to get rid of.

I was hoping to get some input from the people that have built from the frame up, and how much more it would cost to go that way, other then buying a complete quad, and then pretty much re-building it.

Anyone?

416exfreak
11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Your post makes no sense man.

First off, your wanting to buy a 450r either way. You can get a mint 06' for 3800 bucks, why would you pass that up.

It will cost more to build from the frame up, but at least when you do that your building with what you want. Its still going to cost you between 12-15 grand to buy a nice, well-done fully built MX quad.

If I were you, I'd buy the 450 from your buddy, and build it the way you want it built. Plus you can sell all those parts on EBAY. 400ex owners like myself love 450r takeoffs. There is always someone who needs a stock part because they wrecked and bent/broke thiers.;)

Good Luck

hondarider2006
11-03-2007, 03:57 PM
what I am saying...is buy the 450r that is already complete, and build it, or start out from nothing, and just buy part by part.

416exfreak
11-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I would buy a 450r that Isnt built. That way you know it hasnt been raced, and you can build it the exact way you want it built, with the parts you choose.

But, as its your money, you can do what youd like.

Flyin-Low
11-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
I would buy a 450r that Isnt built. That way you know it hasnt been raced, and you can build it the exact way you want it built, with the parts you choose.

But, as its your money, you can do what youd like.

You're still not getting it haha.

He means, should he buy a stock quad and then put on all the aftermarket parts to make it race ready.

Or to just buy piece by piece, as in just start with a frame and work his way up.

-Martin

416exfreak
11-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
You're still not getting it haha.

He means, should he buy a stock quad and then put on all the aftermarket parts to make it race ready.

Or to just buy piece by piece, as in just start with a frame and work his way up.

-Martin

Thats makes more sense...

I feel like a dumbarse now:devil:

and I stand by my original desicion to just build up from a stock quad. You can sell the stock parts to recoup and help pay for the new stuff your buying.

Flyin-Low
11-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Thats makes more sense...

I feel like a dumbarse now:devil:

and I stand by my original desicion to just build up from a stock quad. You can sell the stock parts to recoup and help pay for the new stuff your buying.

Haha.. that's okay I just thought I would clarify it.

And yeah, I heard building from the frame up is VERY expensive.. because those little parts can add up quickly.

-Martin

clutt225
11-03-2007, 05:20 PM
buy mine it is built and ready to go

eastside 400
11-03-2007, 05:42 PM
buy a whole quad, the frames are 900 alone now, then a motor is 1300 used and god knows what new, theres almost the whole price of the other quad and u still dont have 1/2 the pieces, bolts, air box, clamps, brakes, etc. if u are going to actually race u will need stock parts for backups, i break stuff every week, im not saying ur gonna put on stock arms but stems, axle and all will be good to get you through the other motos, def. buy a complete stock bike

jherbie28
11-04-2007, 06:09 PM
if the bike you are looking at buying from your friend is all ready built then buy it, then if you want to change it up you have more parts that are worth more money, when you sell them and get your money back:D i dont know man, if that makes any sence. good luck either way:)

TWISTED
11-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by clutt225
buy mine it is built and ready to go

Nice ride!!!