PDA

View Full Version : Known DS 650 problems?

11-05-2002, 09:23 PM
I have a 2001 DS, and I am wondering if there are any known common problems with these machines. It is in the shop right now,:( , due to electrical problems. Are there any mechanical problems, engine bugs, or any problems at all? I already know about the "glitchy" steering, but I don't notice it. I also know about the easily dented rims.
The machine is a tank, but I want to make it into an armored fortress.
I already plan on adding a slip on, air filter, jetting kit, trail tech speedo, handlebars, Diamond G racing heel guards, nerfs, tires and wheels, and different gearing.
All input appreciated.:square

bradley300
11-05-2002, 09:49 PM
from what i've heard, there bullet proof. they wiegh 460 lbs for a reason, because bomber knew they biult a desert racer. durability means more in the dez than wieght, at least with a motor like that it does.

Godspeed
11-06-2002, 07:32 AM
Buddy of mine had one. It was tough since it made it through what we put it through. We went riding a couple weeks ago and the new owner of the DS went to. It still runs great. Smokes piped and bored 400EX's with ease. Just to big. Heavy and wide. He got stuck more than once in the tight trails. Lots of power though.

OCCRA288
11-06-2002, 08:55 AM
You can put new top a arms on to fix the glitchy steering. some ssd or ZPS shocks would really help in the handleing department.

11-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I really love the bike, and I know what you mean by heavy and wide, that's for sure. I was mainly looking to see if anyone had heard of electrical problems, since mine is out of commision due to a bad CDI and armature.
I really don't need to do any suspension mods, other than fine tuning the preload and compression adjustments. I mainly ride on hardpack and loam, so its handling isn't an issue. But, it really sucks when 500 bucks worth of parts go into a bulletproof bike that wasn't so bulletproof.
Thanks

11-14-2002, 07:01 AM
check out www.bombardierDS650.com