PDA

View Full Version : Valves ticking loudly.

w.va rider
11-03-2007, 09:36 AM
So i put new exhaust valves in my quad. Its been over 1.5 months and the valves still tick loudly. i adjusted them and the tick isnt as loud but it is still there. What is the problem?

drew416ex
11-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Did you just install them yourself or did you get them seated first? Are you checing them while the motor is cold or hot? They need to be adjusted while the engine is cold.

drew416ex
11-03-2007, 09:41 AM
oh and on the 400, there will always be a slight tick, but nothing major.

w.va rider
11-03-2007, 09:46 AM
I installed them myself but i seated them also. I am also adjusting them when it is cold. IDK!!!!

drew416ex
11-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Hmmmmm, pour gas into the intake and exhaust ports to make sure they are all seated. I had a loud ticking noise from my intakes not being seated. Exhaust was blowing back through and hitting the slide on my carb making a ticking noise.

Did you put new gaskets on the header when you reinstalled it? Or just make sure its good and snug.

yamahaforlife
11-03-2007, 12:20 PM
In my clymer manual it said that when you go to adjust your valves and you are at top dead center and the right exhaust value doesnt move but all the other valve moves like they should at top dead center they said that your decompresser is stuck and that you have to wiggle the crankshaft back and forth and that unsticks it. The manual says a stuck decompresser makes a sticking noise. If that makes sense :D