PDA

View Full Version : shock question

lil_watz_ex
11-03-2007, 08:48 AM
I recently purchased +3 a arms and now am looking at getting shocks. What would you suggest for a good shock? I am on a limited budget so I can't afford top of the line like I want. Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to start racing mx next summer, I don't know if that makes much of a difference. Thanks

edit

Would I be alright with 450r shocks or should I not mess with those?

drew416ex
11-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I love my ELKAs. you can get those for $895 from elka, with zero preload, compression and preload adjustment with remote or piggyback reservoirs. They also make a recreational shock with zero preload and no reservoirs for $485. With these you can later upgrade. Send them back to elka and they will install reservoirs or whatever you want. That sounds like the besd deal if you cant spend much money at the time.

If you are going to race MX, I recomend at least getting the ones with the reseys and compression adjustment. The reservoirs keep the shock fluid cool and you can adjust the compression for those big jumps.

But like i said, If you cant afford it right now, you can got with the recreational and upgrade later. Theres also works and TCS, but I just prefer ELKA.

gcart2
11-03-2007, 09:59 AM
i have fox floats and i love em.. and for 700 bucks.. doesn't get better.

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 10:32 AM
check out the pep standard race series. triple rate spring, remote rezzie, and only 650 bucks. thats what im gonna be getting.

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 10:33 AM
heres a pic of em.

11-03-2007, 01:31 PM
those arent rebound adjustable are they?

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
those arent rebound adjustable are they? nah, i dont think so, just compresion and damping if i remember right, but at any rate, 10x better than stock. pep recomends them for play riding, dune riding, and "C" and "B" class racing.

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 01:48 PM
heres a full description.................All shocks are custom built from the information we ask when ordering. They are our entry level, high performance shocks with easy spring fine tuning, low maintenance and non adjustable external damping.

Internally they have competition proven bump sensitive damping with the stages tuned to work with the triple rate springs and crossovers for superior response to small, medium and large bumps. The top two springs have adjustable crossover rings for fine tuning.

Pre-load is also adjustable. They have gas remote reservoirs for consistent damping and control. They are pre-set and generally will not need to be adjusted but can be if desired with use of the set-up and fine tuning explanations sheets. Adjustable triple rate springs, internal multi-stage damping.

RECOMMENDED FOR PLAY RIDING AND 'C' AND 'B' CLASS AMATEUR RACING. FRONT SHOCKS ARE SOLD BY THE PAIR - PRICE SHOWN IS FOR THE FRONT PAIR

11-03-2007, 02:27 PM
i'm debating these vs works triple rates with all the adjustments(compression, rebound, and preload). I know PEP makes a very good shock and Works is good for what I do too. The PEP are $100 more but dont have the adjustments.

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 03:23 PM
i'm debating these vs works triple rates with all the adjustments(compression, rebound, and preload). I know PEP makes a very good shock and Works is good for what I do too. The PEP are $100 more but dont have the adjustments. what pair of works shocks has all that for less than 650?:ermm: do they have rezzies?

11-03-2007, 03:31 PM
yep remote rezzies. $550 for Works triple rate, compression, rebound, and preload adjustments. remote resevoir. thats what i plan on getting because i'm not a full out racer on mx so i dont need the best and i'm also on a tight budget.

REPOMAN
11-03-2007, 03:40 PM
i have some black widows that are great and they are for sale for 550 shipped. pm me if you are interested

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 03:54 PM
yep remote rezzies. $550 for Works triple rate, compression, rebound, and preload adjustments. remote resevoir. thats what i plan on getting because i'm not a full out racer on mx so i dont need the best and i'm also on a tight budget. link to them please?:) :p

11-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Works shocks (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Works-Front-Shocks-Honda-TRX-450R-400EX-250R_W0QQitemZ4612266468QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43974QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng)

its ebay stores only $539 and you get free shock covers

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Works shocks (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Works-Front-Shocks-Honda-TRX-450R-400EX-250R_W0QQitemZ4612266468QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43974QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng)

its ebay stores only $539 and you get free shock covers i dont think you can adjust the rebound on them.:ermm:

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
i have some black widows that are great and they are for sale for 550 shipped. pm me if you are interested you have a PM.

11-03-2007, 06:25 PM
oh wow i forgot only the pro series you can adjust all of that. whoops i better re think what i'm buying here

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 06:42 PM
oh wow i forgot only the pro series you can adjust all of that. whoops i better re think what i'm buying here well either way, they are still cheaper than the PEP's, and basicly the same shock.

11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
well either way, they are still cheaper than the PEP's, and basicly the same shock.

I do not know what kind of drugs you are smoking but you are on something. PEP is like at the top of the list of shocks and works are at the bottom. Works are probably the worst shocks I have ever used and its a fact that stock rebuilds are 100% better. Pep are the nicest shocks that I have ever riden on. Even though the $650 pep shocks are only compression adjustable and preload that doenst matter becuase if you give pep your exact specs you will never have to touch the rebound if it had it and the compression does help depending on the track so thats good that it is there. For $100 more the worst peps are alot better then the best works.

trx400EXtreme
11-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by RoadRidin450r
I do not know what kind of drugs you are smoking but you are on something. PEP is like at the top of the list of shocks and works are at the bottom. Works are probably the worst shocks I have ever used and its a fact that stock rebuilds are 100% better. Pep are the nicest shocks that I have ever riden on. Even though the $650 pep shocks are only compression adjustable and preload that doenst matter becuase if you give pep your exact specs you will never have to touch the rebound if it had it and the compression does help depending on the track so thats good that it is there. For $100 more the worst peps are alot better then the best works. well, i worded it wrong, when i said "basicly the same" i meant the adjustments. i relize that PEP are the better of the two.

exrider49
11-03-2007, 07:30 PM
i would just save up a lil more $$ and look for a used set of shocks on here they go dirt cheap

11-03-2007, 08:45 PM
no doubt PEP are at the top of the suspension industry and Works are towards the bottom. Works are not crappy at all they ride very smooth vs stock but compared to other manufactures they arent very good. I hear all great things about TCS and they dont have as big as a price tag as PEP. I refuse to go with Elka for a few reasons but i'm on a tight budget. Also adjusting the compression on a shock makes you more vunerable to blow the seals.

<DRS>GPF
11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I do not know what kind of drugs you are smoking but you are on something. PEP is like at the top of the list of shocks and works are at the bottom. Works are probably the worst shocks I have ever used and its a fact that stock rebuilds are 100% better. Pep are the nicest shocks that I have ever riden on. Even though the $650 pep shocks are only compression adjustable and preload that doenst matter becuase if you give pep your exact specs you will never have to touch the rebound if it had it and the compression does help depending on the track so thats good that it is there. For $100 more the worst peps are alot better then the best works.

ive not had a problem with my works.. perhaps like many others, you were using the recreational shocks for racing and just have trouble landing. :ermm:

11-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Ok yea I would definately go with the $650 peps though. You do not need rebound on peps ebcuase they are set up perfectly from them. I was going to buy these but I got a better deal on some ones with zps so jumped on them.

11-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
ive not had a problem with my works.. perhaps like many others, you were using the recreational shocks for racing and just have trouble landing. :ermm:

thats exactly it too, people have the non rezzie Works or something and try it on an MX course. Works are great for the average person no doubt.

Ok yea I would definately go with the $650 peps though. You do not need rebound on peps ebcuase they are set up perfectly from them. I was going to buy these but I got a better deal on some ones with zps so jumped on them.

Rebound and preload are the only things I ever need to adjust. Ijust dont know what is worth it. also on the Works they dont really specify if they ar compression adjustable but i think almost al rezzies have the adjusting thing on the end unless its just a screw to keep the lid on the rezzie end idk but my brothers Works rear shock is said to be only preload adjustable but on the rezzie there is a nob to screw that sits right on the rezzies end cap and i think thats compression

11-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Well if you want to waste like $550 on works then go ahead but you are going to regret it as soon as you ride a quad with any level pep shocks.

tanner 222
11-04-2007, 10:07 AM
i raced mx and what i did was just bought some 450r shocks and got them completely rebuild. they were awesome for a very, very good price

<DRS>GPF
11-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by tanner 222
i raced mx and what i did was just bought some 450r shocks and got them completely rebuild. they were awesome for a very, very good price

if i were to buy shocks again, thats exactly what id do..

<DRS>GPF
11-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Well if you want to waste like $550 on works then go ahead but you are going to regret it as soon as you ride a quad with any level pep shocks.

for that price, youd be buying rec series shocks. so yea if you were MX racing and dont have the skill to land the jumps, you would likely be disappointed. :rolleyes:

11-04-2007, 01:26 PM
450r shocks might be goo for mx but even so they have flaws. from what i hear they are stiff on the little bumps which i ride trails with occasionaly jumps and i need something plush, not stiff

XXXRACER165
11-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Then why would a fast A class rider choose the works shocks over the peps?

11-04-2007, 02:55 PM
PM sent.

mx1791
11-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Rebound and preload are the only things I ever need to adjust. Ijust dont know what is worth it. also on the Works they dont really specify if they ar compression adjustable but i think almost al rezzies have the adjusting thing on the end unless its just a screw to keep the lid on the rezzie end idk but my brothers Works rear shock is said to be only preload adjustable but on the rezzie there is a nob to screw that sits right on the rezzies end cap and i think thats compression [/B]

those works on ebay ONLY have preload adjustments. just becouse they have a rezzie doesnt mean they are compresion adjustable (not all rezzie shocks have compresion, weather they're elkas, axis, or works). you can see in the picture they only have rezzies. if they had compresion you would se a big black knob on top of the rezzie

trx400EXtreme
11-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
those works on ebay ONLY have preload adjustments. just becouse they have a rezzie doesnt mean they are compresion adjustable (not all rezzie shocks have compresion, weather they're elkas, axis, or works). you can see in the picture they only have rezzies. if they had compresion you would se a big black knob on top of the rezzie like this\/:D

11-04-2007, 03:31 PM
are those PEP pretty good or? I am on a budget here and spending over $700 in suspension would kill me. I dont even have a truck yet.

mx1791
11-04-2007, 03:42 PM
well those cheap peps might not be compresion adjustable. the picture shows it, but inless im missing something they dont mention compresion in the description. someone should call sf racing and see if they have compresion, if they do then id say they are pretty good.

11-04-2007, 03:50 PM
also multi rate springs... dont quote me on this but if i'm not mistaken dual or triple rate vs single just makes a more plush ride over little things.

trx400EXtreme
11-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
well those cheap peps might not be compresion adjustable. the picture shows it, but inless im missing something they dont mention compresion in the description. someone should call sf racing and see if they have compresion, if they do then id say they are pretty good. id say they are pretty good no matter what considering i dont race. especially over stock.

Pipeless416
11-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by tanner 222

do you recall how much it was to have front revalves done? im looking to send mine in soon.. if the price wont bury me.

mx1791
11-04-2007, 03:59 PM
well even the works with no rezzies are better then those stock things on the 400 :p so yea id say no matter what its a good investment

11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
yeah stock 400ex shocks on the front are like pogo sticks they go to compress then its like they say nope and fling back to original position. then on jumps they have barely any bottoming out resistance so its a hard landing

tanner 222
11-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
do you recall how much it was to have front revalves done? im looking to send mine in soon.. if the price wont bury me.

well i got mine done in canada and i think it was around 350. it was a couple years ago so i dont remember exactly but thats for completely rebuilt.

jesseweaver
11-04-2007, 05:06 PM
I have the Works triple rate shocks with resivoirs. i ride mostly trails and a little bit at tracks right now, and ill start racing next summer. will these shocks be ok for racing c class mx?