PDA

View Full Version : Good Slip-On Exhaust shootout here!

BornOnFire
11-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Exhaust Shootout (http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=181)

I was checking this out and thought I would post the link for anyone in the market for a new exhaust for the 400EX. I currently run the E-Series myself and I am very pleased with it across the powerband.

crashinmatt
11-05-2002, 09:44 PM
all i know that if i get a different exhaust, its gonna be HMF. i have heard only good about them, and recently heard something that makes me a believer.

DESDAK4
11-05-2002, 09:47 PM
I wish someone would give out some good info on the HMF. I like the looks of the pipe but have a hard time believing it puts out the power they claim. So if anybody has good hard info on the pipe lets hear it.
Jay
USAF

crashinmatt
11-05-2002, 09:56 PM
ive heard they do produce big power and, i too am confused as to how they do that and it looks all the same as the rest.

Drtridr18
11-06-2002, 05:26 AM
I will attest. It's got the nuts. Had the Yoshimura slip on also, the Yosh. had better overall quality and finish, not saying the HMF is bad, but they are handmade near where i live, and are still kinda developing. It looks nice, i bought the polished slip-on, and more different/custom than from what everybody and their mama has. I like the HMF better for it's deeper sound, look, and low end nut than the Yosh., the Yosh may have had just a hair more mid-top, but prolly a immesurable amount. Not that this is anything special, but now i have no probs ripping easy no-clutch wheelies in 3rd. Hope this helps!

Sportrax10
11-06-2002, 06:24 AM
i found a full pipe shootout for a 400ex somewhere, i forget where i found it all i rememer is the curtis sparks pipe won, and then the white bros. e-series won

OCCRA288
11-06-2002, 09:17 AM
HMF= loud!

Not as loud as Big gun but loud nonetheless

01_400exrider
11-06-2002, 10:28 AM
My t4 is so much louder than my dads full race big gun. Mines crazy loud.

Drtridr18
11-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Yes the HMF is loud, but it is a deep good sounding loud, if there were such a thing, like the wide open sound of the HMF better than the Yosh.

chad400ex
11-06-2002, 11:27 AM
My Yoshi seems to run about even with the Sparks and the E-series out in the dunes. I'm the quietest one out of those 3 pipes, and that's with the full open tip. If I put the smaller T.E.C. end caps in it gets really quiet, but does lose a little bit of power. It only takes a minute to change tips out, so if the sound check guys are on the prowl, I stop and put the small tip in. Makes me run at about 90 dB, which is well below the legal limit.

DESDAK4
11-06-2002, 09:39 PM
I think all pipes are about the same. I mean the little bit of difference in power from one to another can be made up by simple little things here and there. I just want a full system so that later when I do any motor work I am ready and HMF claims the most power by far he!! even the sparks pipe that wins all the shoutout doesn't even make 4 hp. So this is what I am trying to figure out, Does the HMF make that good of power or am I just better with the Trinity Stage IV or maybe even the LRD full system. I will not buy the sparks because I think it is ugly (my opinion) and will not sacrifice good looks to me for such a little hp advantage. Anymore help would be great.
Jay
USAF

crashinmatt
11-07-2002, 06:31 AM
i have heard that the HMF full will detsroy the other pipes when in a drag race. thtas my next pipe. but on there website, it says something about a 200 main for it. i was wonderin if that was true? that seems like its gonna be takin in quite a bit of fuel, maybe thats y they claim the most power. more fuel=more power right? well, as long as we rnt talkin runnin rich.

Drtridr18
11-07-2002, 07:25 AM
With my slip-on, i'm still running a K&N Filter with outerwear, lid on, 146 D/J Main, D/J needle on 3rd clip, and stock pilot, although I'd like to go up to a 40 or 42. Seems to run fine for now!