PDA

View Full Version : these things out yet?

450raider
11-02-2007, 06:34 PM
i really wanna hear a real/normal persons review of the ds, ive seen all the mags reveiws and they all like em (except one of which had nothin to say bad about it but still managed to find something to whine about so it dont sound as good as a yami), but if they havent starting coming out somewhere yet im kinda glad i didnt wait almost half a year and since i live in moronville the 08's probably wont hit here till next august, so i just wanna hear how it really stacks up against the others.

thanks

and lastly as a little bonus question does anyone think that with canam taking so long, they just may have gave their seasons market away to ktm?

Dan_Guetter
11-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Few more weeks

ThePhantomRider
11-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Look, there are several things to take into consideration. First, KTM only will have a handfull out to the public, so they in no way lost any ground there. Second, Can-Am never set an actual date for release, the reason for this very well could be that they, as we know have been working on the racing aspect of this quad to get their bikes and teams set up. This would also allow them to have a extended peroid of time to work out any possible problems and have them corrected on the production run.

Remember, manufacturers may test their quads prior to release, but there are only a couple hand built test mules out during these times. To get them into a number of riders hands and let them beat the wholy hell out of them so they can see if it indeed holds up is crucial and a step most manufacturers ever take. So far as I understand there have been no consistent failures or problems, just a few scattered and random things that already have been corrected. Now that hundreds of hours have been logged they can actually get a true reading on how well they work and it looks outstanding.

They are not Yamaha or Honda and will not take a risk of a bad tranny or rear shock mounts breaking and have to then correct it at the production end and also all the consumer recalls.

They tood a dramatic step away from the norm, and that not only takes a leap of faith on behalf of the consumer, that they believe that all this new technology will work but one that must be met with with a product that will deliver the goods.

There are now 7 quads available in the 450 market, and they want to be the one that gives you everything as promised with as little downside and downtime as possible.

I don't work for Can-Am, but I do know what is at stake and they want to be damn sure that when you throw your leg over your new DS 450, you'll have somthing worth your hard earned money.

TPR

450raider
11-05-2007, 04:50 PM
yeah TRP you make a lot of good points alot of what you said i was already kinda thinkin yeah maybe canam is making sure they get rid of each and every bug before the release this maybe bold but brp may very well be the "GM" of the motorsports world in a few short years, i hope to someday have a canam to see how good their product/customer care/overall service is, but back to the ds in particular, ive read somewhere that its been in the works since 2001 or 2002 and when they broke the big news of it in may they shoulda almost expected people would rave for a fall release and now we get to what i meant about ktm- didnt they announce their product after canam did, and still come out with it beforehand? thats all im gettin at

ThePhantomRider
11-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, KTM announced after and released before their new quad. There are some differences though. Primarily, they have had these motors out for some time and have a proven record with them. They are also using the tried and true steel frame....true it's production chrome moly but nothing real exotic.

With the Can Am, it has been in development since 2001, but remember this, the bike you will buy today is a far cry from what would have been on the drawing board back then. At that time the target was the 400ex type sport...then we get the YFZ and the target changed. So there was several different approaches before they settled on the all or nothing go in a different direction not just to be different, but to be better and change the game in a segment they had no real exposure previously. We're talking 100% new and much of it unique so it needs to be right and getting a small hit from KTM will be a worthwile step in the long run success of the DS.

TPR

motox450
11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
TPR
I think what myself and most are concerned with is the hype that was brought by Can-Am and the release of the DS. Myself including many others got updates and watched almost religously to see the model. Can-Am then showed their cards. In my belief they did so to early. If they are withholding production due real world testing they could have and should have done that well before now. I am sure Can-Am has a sercret testing facility that they could and should have beat the snot out of the quad there, doing all the torture testing known to man. The KTM quad has been in the works for 2-3 years and from my sources had logged in thousands of hours before the quad was realeased to the market. Can-Am should have had the majorityof the bugs worked out before they made the big showing on their site. Then they come with the X packages before the normal packages have hit the showroom floor. Let's also remember that even though KTM has went with some traditional materials, they have never built a quad before. Can-Am now has years of quad building experiance to rely on. Right now Can-Ams delayed release is not helping them sell quads. It is making people go out and buy what is available. The new KTM's are lasting less that 10 days on showroom floors. There are a great many people that would be swayed to buy the DS if it was on the showroom floor to buy. Can-Am dropped the ball and KTM picked it up and is dribbling it all the way to the hoop.

Punk'd
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
Yeah, KTM announced after and released before their new quad. There are some differences though. Primarily, they have had these motors out for some time and have a proven record with them. They are also using the tried and true steel frame....true it's production chrome moly but nothing real exotic.

With the Can Am, it has been in development since 2001, but remember this, the bike you will buy today is a far cry from what would have been on the drawing board back then. At that time the target was the 400ex type sport...
TPR

Believe it or not the original plan was a 2 stroke. I have a dvd on the making of it from work. Im sure your local Can-Am dealer will have some to hand out as well.

ThePhantomRider
11-06-2007, 03:19 PM
This is an all or nothing deal for them. Their feeling is they can take a little hit while getting everything dialed in for long term benefits. For better or worse they intend to bring the best, most dialed in and most worry free 450 on the market.

TPR

motox450
11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
TPR,
I am not denying the fact that Can-Am has to get this right from the get go. I am however questioning their marketing tactics. Far too much hype and not enough to show for it. It would have been better for them to wait to show the product when it was ready. Right now people are questioning on weather the quad is as good as the original hype. If there are problems they are working out now, again that doesn't give people a warm fuzzy feeling after what was shown in all the websodes. When Cam-Am did their whole marketing speel over months, it would have been in their best interest to have the quads ready for delivery right after the full reveal. Right now they look as if they didn't have their crap together, and their original marketing plan is backfiring. Can-Am would be better off at this point to give a set date for the quad hitting the showroom floor, or announce that the quad will actually be an 09 model and fix the problems through testing. To keep people interested they could have test riding days throughout the states. This would keep people wanting the quad as it would give Can-Am real world feedback on the quad.

ThePhantomRider
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey I don't disagree with you, but it's the path they chose and one they stuck with. There are a lot of factors that you and I are not privy to in regard to bringing an all new quad into production, less one that is almost entirely different from the rest of the market with more innovations than any to date.

Engage patience and you will be justly rewarded.

TPR

Punk'd
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Had the Can-Am big rig come in today at work for free demo rides. They brought a 450, but wouldnt let anyone ride it because its a proto-type??

The guys said production has started and we should be seeing ours in the next 30 days.

They also mentioned something about a 450 dirtbike and a side by side in the works :devil:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6756/img00741nx0.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8242/img01161vi8.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4306/img01221jd8.jpg

BasicBajaX
11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
With all this hype and postponed release it has given me time to decide which one to buy...I just cant decide between the 450X or RenegadeX. Has the RenegadeX been released yet?

Punk'd
11-07-2007, 09:06 AM
The renagade x is out. We have one at work.

BasicBajaX
11-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks man. Nice avtar...almost as nice as mine.:p

Hammer trx450r
11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Dealer has one on the showroom floor

Punk'd
11-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
Dealer has one on the showroom floor

For sale or what?:confused:

Hammer trx450r
11-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Yes but already taken but he is leaving it there for a week for people to check it out. The can am dealer in Mt holly NJ

Punk'd
11-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Are you sure its not a demo?

I sure hope dealers are starting to get them.

xtreme 250x
11-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Just saw a DS 450 for sale on ebay

Punk'd
11-24-2007, 11:30 PM
So only one dealer in the entire U.S. has one and its sold?

Somethings fishy:p :blah:

Hammer trx450r
11-25-2007, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
So only one dealer in the entire U.S. has one and its sold?

Somethings fishy:p :blah:

Surf and turf Can am dealer in MT Holly New Jersey, look up the # and call yourself before you call me a liar, punk

madini
11-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I went through this with Cannondale.Never again if I can help it.I bought a KTM yesterday,keeping the 450ER for now.Sorry,I waited since June,deposit and all........Maybe next time,I'm not done riding yet.

Punk'd
11-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Surf and turf Can am dealer in MT Holly New Jersey, look up the # and call yourself before you call me a liar, punk

Not calling you a liar.

Just saying something sounds fishy if only one dealer in the entire U.S. has one wouldnt you say? Sure its not one of the demos?

And I thought the "rumor" was the west coast gets them first

Im not trying to be a jack*** im on the same side as you with all of this, Mr. Hammer.

LTR450_#67
11-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I heard they are in dealers... so it should be soon for you guys.

Hammer trx450r
11-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Not calling you a liar.

Just saying something sounds fishy if only one dealer in the entire U.S. has one wouldnt you say? Sure its not one of the demos?

And I thought the "rumor" was the west coast gets them first

Im not trying to be a jack*** im on the same side as you with all of this, Mr. Hammer.

This one was brand new and he said he is getting 10 more in Dec

Look i dont believe anyone either, just stating what i was told and what i saw

Punk'd
11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
This one was brand new and he said he is getting 10 more in Dec

Look i dont believe anyone either, just stating what i was told and what i saw

I guess it just seems to good to be true after all this waiting:p

So when are they getting shipped to MO:blah:

Punk'd
11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Yesterday at work I asked when we could start seeing these babys come in and according to our rep they are expected to ship any day.

So I guess we will see..

Hammer trx450r
11-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Yesterday at work I asked when we could start seeing these babys come in and according to our rep they are expected to ship any day.

So I guess we will see..

You heard it from someone else? something sounds fishy

j/k had too

Punk'd
11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
You heard it from someone else? something sounds fishy

j/k had too

haha were even:devil:

I just wish it was freakin here already!!:mad: :blah:

Hammer trx450r
11-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I dont know dude, im sticking with my honda untill i see how it holds up. The word in my camp is Johns breaking frames like crazy. But i didnt hear it from john himself so take it for what it is.:devil:

Punk'd
11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
I sure hope thats not true, but I will be buying the fattest warrenty available:D

450raider
11-28-2007, 06:34 PM
wow i first posted this on 11/2 and theyre still not out yet, its been a little over 6 months since the "full reveal" and nothing, well i hope it rocks for you folks still waiting and finally get it.

BSTURDIVANT
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
They are now distrubuting slowly (few at a time) first shipments arrived in US this week with more to follow in Dec., and yes they are production units!
Looked at one at Swampfox Motorsports in Bluefield, VA
He's one of the biggest purely CAN-AM dealers in the US so he got
one of the first ones!
Shocks are way oversprung, but easy to fix.
Ride height is a little high- about 9" with a rider
Extremely light (350 lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel!!!) actual weight!!
Engine very responsive, even with choked air box and exhaust!
Looks to be a beast with a little "tinkering"

Punk'd
11-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
They are now distrubuting slowly (few at a time) first shipments arrived in US this week with more to follow in Dec., and yes they are production units!
Looked at one at Swampfox Motorsports in Bluefield, VA
He's one of the biggest purely CAN-AM dealers in the US so he got
one of the first ones!
Shocks are way oversprung, but easy to fix.
Ride height is a little high- about 9" with a rider
Extremely light (350 lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel!!!) actual weight!!
Engine very responsive, even with choked air box and exhaust!
Looks to be a beast with a little "tinkering"

Sweet! This week!!

You better be right:blah:

Dale512
12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Brent, will you be racing on a DS for 08?

BSTURDIVANT
12-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Still up in the air for Honda/Can-Am- Final decision is LTE's

joedirt
12-02-2007, 01:00 PM
http://www.thequadbuilder.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1832 Can Am at AGP Banquet

joedirt
12-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Why is there reflectors on it?

Punk'd
12-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Pretty sure thats how they come in Canada, but correct me if im wrong.

Hammer trx450r
12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by joedirt
http://www.thequadbuilder.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1832 Can Am at AGP Banquet

HMMM the same AGP that is sponsered by SURF AND TURF CAN AM IN MT HOLLY NJ

Punk'd
12-02-2007, 03:17 PM

:p Sorry bro.

We have dealers around the area with some and I was told to be expecting mine this week, but who knows:confused:

Dale@AGP
12-02-2007, 04:39 PM

Yes the same AGP series that has the Surf and Turf Can-Am Bounty and yes that is one sweet ride!

Dale