PDA

View Full Version : Seeking good advice

ndjordan
11-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I've raced in a couple of gncc races with my stock 400ex and was wondering what suspension setup would work best. I would like to get off as cheap as I can. Also why are most of the pros atvs so low? Is that a lowering kit or is that the shock sag I have heard mention of. Thanks for any input. I know nothing about suspensions.

11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
for the rear..have the rear shock revalved by c and d racing, gt thunder, or derisis racing. if you go with gt thunder or derisi, you will also need to get the real linkage...it makes a heck of a difference...

for the fronts, it depends on how much you want to spend...you could get stock 450r shocks and have them revalved for you...you could get some of the shocks that are in the $900 range...but if you do the rear, you will need to change your setup on the front...

the lower looking bikes are at what is considered acceptable ride height...about 8.5", which is about 3" lower than stock. that 3" makes a difference in feel and handling.

ndjordan
11-02-2007, 02:53 PM
are the shocks shorter than stock or is it a seperate kit. Being that low wont cause you to bottom out easier. I have seen lowering kits . Do I need that too?

zeus54
11-04-2007, 12:21 AM
lowering kits are not something you would want to do for the woods. they are more ideal for tt and flat track racing. but then again i have never used such items before, but i have never seen a gncc rider with a lowering kit ever. the appearance of the lowered stance is a direct result of the suspension setup. i agree with speedy about some of your options,`you can also check out company's such as I-SHOCK or WORKS for relatively inexpensive shocks.

11-04-2007, 05:03 AM
they are the stock shocks, same length. you don't bottom out more, they revalve actually gives you a little more travel...they sit like that because of different springs and how the fluid flows in the shocks...

lowering kits are for flat track races and drag racing...they are for situations where there is not a lot of suspension travel needed

here is a pic of my 450r before the revalve and my friends right after his revalve by derisis. both bikes are 2004 450rs with the same size tires in the rear...he as 21" razr 2's up front and have 22" razr 2's...

mine is on your right, his the left...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/WXKRP-derisifront2.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/PBJCP-derisirear.JPG

exrider49
11-04-2007, 08:27 AM
if i were you i would find a used set of shocks on here..because by the time you buy the 450r shocks, get them re-valved and re-sprung you could of just got a nice set of used ones on here that are made for your machine

11-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by exrider49
if i were you i would find a used set of shocks on here..because by the time you buy the 450r shocks, get them re-valved and re-sprung you could of just got a nice set of used ones on here that are made for your machine

i agree with that...

ndjordan
11-04-2007, 11:44 AM
thanks alot guys. That explains alot. Im gonna see if I can find me a set of used shocks for the front. But the back can just be revalved right.Thanks alot.

11-04-2007, 12:48 PM
the stock back can be revalved...the stock fronts cannot

bradley300
11-04-2007, 02:54 PM
you can get a used set of shocks on here, but unless they are already set up for your quad, a-arms, weight and type of riding, you might eventually look into re valves anyway.