PDA

View Full Version : radiator fan

Unverfehrt400ex
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I was just curious. i have an 07 450er and have put it through quite a bit of hard riding in the first 6 months ive owned it and have yet to ever have the fan kick on. i was just wanting to know if this is a common thing on everyone else's or not?

hendershot106
11-02-2007, 02:38 PM
if it is still relatively stock and u dont ride through mud it wont--

03warriorrider
11-02-2007, 06:43 PM
i asked this same question a couple of weeks ago about my 05 450r and everyone told me it very rarely comes on if its stock. someone also told me i could ground the fan wire to see if the fan works, but i never got around to trying it. it does get you worrying about the bike especially when you ride with a z400 who's fans run constantly.

TRX450RACER174
11-02-2007, 07:08 PM
My 06 started overheating so i checked the fan and it wasn't working, so i replaced it and now have found my CDI might be bad, i grounded the temp sensor wire and nothing, but i also read the bike has to be running somewhere else, i did not test it running only with the key on so that is my next step, the fan also comes on at a really high temp like around 230 deg, these bikes are designed to run hot.

wayfastwhitey69
11-02-2007, 07:14 PM
mine turns on in the weirdest places like in the middle of the winter when its -20 but not in the summer when its +30

Sjorge450R
11-03-2007, 11:54 AM
i have seen WAY TOO many r's off on the side of the track idling because of over heating. As soon as i bought my R, i grounded the fan. No problems yet and i prob have like 100 hours on it. I will probaly just change the fan/motor every year or so just to be on the safe side.

meadey#1
11-21-2007, 04:28 AM
my honda has the same issue with the fan and i come up with the idea of mounting a handle bar switch so mid way through the race i would just flick the switch to help try to cool the engine down. does anyone know how i could do this?

TRX450RACER174
11-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Well when the bike is running the fan always has power and when it reaches the right temp the fan switch ground the circuit and turn the fan on, so all you would need to do is get a toggle sitch or something to that effect and ground the one end and connect the other to the fan motor, flick the switch to ground and the fan should run.

Dave400ex
11-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I have an extra fan I will sell for $45 if anyone wants one to mess with.

DickeyDoo76
11-22-2007, 12:33 PM
On my 07 with the HRC kit I have noticed the fan comes on when I let the bike sit and Idle for a bit, then also when im going slow through the dunes. Haluing *** is does not come on at all.

xraven35
11-25-2007, 05:23 AM
I have a kicker so mine is permanently wired to have the fan on at all times but if you have an Electric start a toggle switch might be a good idea.

03warriorrider
11-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by xraven35
I have a kicker so mine is permanently wired to have the fan on at all times but if you have an Electric start a toggle switch might be a good idea.

not saying your wrong but does anyone else know if this is true because i have a 05 kicker and if this is the case my fan doesnt work.

chris29
11-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I wired my fan up to my headlights since I race mx and don't need the headlight. If u have a ER and want to wire the fan u must have a toggle switch or wire to the headlight button like I did or u will kill u battery everytime u try to start it.

BOSTON GEORGE
11-26-2007, 07:30 AM
well to all my 450r kick start riders i did a little study on my fan since all the questions started popping up about them coming on and off and i think it makes sence to say that we never see our fans come on because
1. once we get on our bike we dont really let the bike sit there ideling for long
2. once we get going the bike is then being air cooled cause most likely we are hauling
3.after the ride no matter if it be long or short we always turn our bikes off so the fan doesnt have any power since we dont have any electrical power once the bike is off ( no battery)

note: if anyone want to perform the test as i did do the opposit of 1,2,and three and you will notice your fan come on or you can let the bike run at idle and the fan will come on
oh by the way for the poeple who's fan comes on in the middle of trail riding thats because your going to slow for the air cool method to play its part :devil: so keep your raidiators clean