PDA

View Full Version : Shop problems, HELP! !

11-01-2001, 08:37 AM
I think I may have some problems with the jetting of my carb. I recently took my quad into the local honda shop who right off the bat did not seem to know what they were doing. For instance they told me that the Mega max 2 silencer was more powerful than the Powercore IV FMF silencer. After talking to the folks at FMF I found out that this was definately not true. Furthermore after having the exhaust system and K&N power kit installed the quad did not seem to run so smooth. I pulled off the the rear plastic and noticed that the air box was still on. This raised my suspicion so I decided that I would look through the remaining jets so I could see if they jetting my bike according to the FMF jetting charts. First of all they did not change the pilot jet I found out and they changed my main jet to a 146. I believe that this should be more like 160. Anyway I decided to try and see if running with out the airbox cover on would help and it does. It seems to run a lot smoother. What do I need to do now to ensure that I am not running too rich or too lean? It seems to run fine right now. P.S. I am in Chicago so I am at about sea level.

11-01-2001, 09:17 AM
1st off,,,,don't make changes or anythng until the bike is warmed up...running for at least 10 minutes. So after it's warm does it backfire,,bogdown,,or do anything wierd,,,while hammerin through the gears,,,,whats the motor tellin ya. 146 jet doesn't sound right if the lid is off,,I've got the powercore IV/2 and I use a 160 with holes drilled in my airbox lid. You don't need the pilot replaced for what you did in modifications,,,I changed mine after adding the powerbong.

11-01-2001, 09:22 AM
The problems I referred to are what I am having after the bike is warm. I ran it this Sunday for a couple of hours of riding. The header is also now brown and while going through the gears there seems to be a fairly consistant amount of bogging and power lag. Also when I slow down it tends to pop of backfire kind of like a muscle car would do.

liltazz
11-01-2001, 09:39 AM
that means your too lean when it pops. try a 170 main with the air box lid removed.

11-01-2001, 09:59 AM
or you could call the shop back and tell them they didn't jet the bike like you asded with the lid off and have them do it again free of charge,,if you trust taken it back...you might wanna talk with a manager,,,instead of jim bob in the back that couldn't find his butthole with a funnel..:D

11-01-2001, 10:10 AM
If I up it to a 170 that mean I will run faster. Also should I have them replace my header for free since now it looks like ####.

sly400ex
11-01-2001, 11:11 AM
laramik

I live right near Joliet, so I live in the same area as you. I have my air box lid off, K&N power up kit with a 160 main. It runs awesome. I also have a Pro-Circuit exhaust. One way to tell how your motor is running is by looking at the spark plug. If it's white, your running lean, if it's black, your runnig rich. You want it to be a nice brown. Oh yeah, any places to ride that you know of? The free of charge ones in particular. :D

11-01-2001, 11:24 AM
Yes, I just found a new spot. It is in Bartlett. This is by Schaumburg. It is an old abandoned gravel pit that is very similar to the Badlands in IN. It's about 200 acers I would imagine and it is private property. There is of course no charge. We should meet up there sometime. I don't think I will be able to go this weekend, but we can see about next. :D

11-01-2001, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by laramik
If I up it to a 170 that mean I will run faster. Also should I have them replace my header for free since now it looks like ####. [/QUOTS

Start with a 160 or 165 main jet if you take the lid off the airbox and the header pipe will turn brown that's normal,,,I've got the powerbong and it turned brown too.

sly400ex
11-01-2001, 11:46 AM
cool, I'm up for riding any time. My email is xcite86@yahoo.com. Just let me know when.

oynot400
11-01-2001, 07:44 PM
You might want to check the needle postion. You never know what they might have done at the shop. If it is missing going through the power band that may be something to check. I am not sure which notch it should be at.