PDA

View Full Version : trailering...?

soda7o
11-02-2007, 12:02 PM
i have a quick question about trailering the quad
looking to get one of those foldable 4X9 trailers from harbor freight... will two atv fit on it? looking to haul two atvs on a trieler side by side so would it fit accros the trailer (width wise?)

thanks

QuadManiac
11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I have that trailer, but check please, mine is a single sheet 4 x 8 bed. Most full size quads are about 6' long and between 3 1/2 and 4 feet wide, so the stock trailer will only fit one. HOWEVER, If you dont care if it folds, you can mount a 2x4 frame around and across the top of the existing frame (to clear the tires and fenders) and then put 2 pieces of 4x6 plywood sideways on it. Then it will hold 2 quads sideways. I've done it and it works great.

Quick word of caution: I built mine to spec first, and then took it to the CA DMV for their approval in order to register it. I didn't know whether they'd approve of the 6x8 mod, so I got i registered first and modded after.

Also: They sell that trailer with 10" or 12" tires... get the 12's. The 10's are a little small for a 2 quad load.

JOEX
11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by soda7o
i have a quick question about trailering the quad
looking to get one of those foldable 4X9 trailers from harbor freight... will two atv fit on it? looking to haul two atvs on a trieler side by side so would it fit accros the trailer (width wise?)

thanks
The 4x9 one may hold two mini quads but not full size. You'll want at least a 6x8 to be able to haul two full size quads comfortably.

soda7o
11-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by QuadManiac
I have that trailer, but check please, mine is a single sheet 4 x 8 bed. Most full size quads are about 6' long and between 3 1/2 and 4 feet wide, so the stock trailer will only fit one. HOWEVER, If you dont care if it folds, you can mount a 2x4 frame around and across the top of the existing frame (to clear the tires and fenders) and then put 2 pieces of 4x6 plywood sideways on it. Then it will hold 2 quads sideways. I've done it and it works great.

Quick word of caution: I built mine to spec first, and then took it to the CA DMV for their approval in order to register it. I didn't know whether they'd approve of the 6x8 mod, so I got i registered first and modded after.

Also: They sell that trailer with 10" or 12" tires... get the 12's. The 10's are a little small for a 2 quad load.

yeah i was looking to get one with the 12 inch wheels anyway and i was also thinking of doing what you did but i still want it to fold.. the wheelbase for the quad is about 49 inches (just looked that up) so that about4 feet 2 inches = two inches wider than the quad. i was posisbly thinking of going and putting down a floor that woudl be about 52 to 54 inches wide which is only up to 6 inches wider the the frame but it shoudl also be enought for the quad to sit there. but i need it to fold.. living in NYC we really dont have much room to store anything... and my garage is already full of bikes and quads i have no room in th eback yeard unless its folded...

QuadManiac
11-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Measure your quad. Wheelbase is the centerline where the tread touches the ground. The actual quad is somewhat longer, and I would expect that you would like a little safety margin. Also, the trailer wheels are not at center, they are a little back and they extend upward, above the trailer floor by about 3". The fenders are not strong enough to support a tire on them. One quad tire is always going to be right over each trailer tire. You need to do something to support that load.

Originally, I had considered lifting the trailer by lowering the suspension mounting points or mounting steel blocks between the axle and the springs. This would allow you to put the 2 - 4x6 pieces of plywood on while still clearing the tires (lose the fenders, cause the plywoods over the tires) AND still fold the trailer. I chose the 2x4 frame method cause it was easier, and I didn't care about folding the trailer.