PDA

View Full Version : Would this even be likely?

250Renvy
11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Anybody who has ever built or rebuilt a 250R knows how costly it can get and how out of hand it can get, so I'm just wondering if it is even remotely likely for someone who knows that it can easily cost $15000 + to build a complete aftermarket race 250R to pay $10000 for one that is completely rebuilt and still new featuring some of the best parts possible.

I know most R's go for about 5-6K but usually they still need a complete rebuild and don't have all the things you could possibly want so this is why I'm listing everyting.

BTW this is a XC setup but could easily be turned into MX

Frame: Laeger narrow front CR500 link
Swingarm: Laeger CR500 link
A-arms: Laeger +3 long travel
NEW Axle: RPM dominator -2+1
Steering stem: Laeger +2
Shocks: Elka - Newly rebuilt an serviced
NEW Motor: 89 pro-x 265 w/ new quick change cover, new bottom, top and new yukon gears
NEW Reeds: V-force 3
Carb:
DG National Pipe
NEW Rims: Hiper 4-1 front and 9" rears
NEW Tires: Kenda Klaw
Front hubs: Nacs billet or stock
NEW Powermadds: Handguards
NEW OEM Plastic
NEW Desert Seat
IMS Footpegs:
NEW IMS 4.0 Gas Tank
NEW PRM Baja Front Bumper
NEW PRM Baja Grab bar
RPM Tapered Bearing carrier
Stock Rear hubs
NEW OMF Rad shroud/louv
NEW Pro taper Handlebars
EVERY NEW Bearings/bushing/grommet/Ball joint etc
NEW Electrical
NEW ASV Levers
NEW DID XRing Chain/sprockets
NEW Galfer braided Brake lines
NEW Pivot bolt
Duncan Stem clamp
Galfer wave Rotors
NEW STainless Bolts
PRO-tect stainless Skid Plates
NEW Clutch setup - hinson
NEW Front Brakes
NEW Rear Brake
New Powder and graphics/seat cover

I think I know the answer but considering it is new and never ridden on any of these parts Realisitically what would you pay? Even if you aren't into XC racing I'd like to know.

chris46250r
11-02-2007, 12:00 PM
If everything you have listed is new or same as new I dont see 10 grand being too much. If people would just put the pencil and paper to it, it's not unrealistic. Take the two or so thousand that you would have to spend just to get a decent running 250r to start with and add up all of what you listed, paint/ powdercoat, gas oil grease and other supplies + LABOR, you will have tore up 10 grand and more. Alot of people never count labor. I'm not talking about paying someone else either. Count your own labor, that crap dont just jump out of the box and put its self together.

svahle
11-02-2007, 03:58 PM
You asked for what we would realistically pay. I find it hard to believe anyone would realistically pay $10k. I am not saying that it would not be worth it, but I don't think it is likely to get that amount. Very few people actually build 250R's anymore. Also, very few people prefer the 250R over the 4 strokes. I know there will be people who say "I know alot of guys who build and ride 250R's" But when compared to the number of people building and riding four strokes, there are not many people building and riding 250R's. I only mention this because you are dealing with a much smaller base of potential buyers than you would be if you were selling a four stroke. Location also limits the sale of quads. There are a few, but not many, people willing to buy a quad based on pics and description and have it shipped or travel more than a few hours to buy a quad. So, this further limits the number of potential buyers. Finally, the people I run into that still build and ride high end 250R's tend to be dune riders.

With all of that said, I suppose you could find the right person in the right market that has just been searching for a quad like yours.

I still love the 250R. That is why I have one and have had others in the past. I have owned more two strokes than I have four strokes. It is a shame the market has taken such a turn.

So, what do I think you can get realistically? $5k-$7k.

I don't intend to sound pessimistic, I am trying to be a realist.

Aceman
11-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I think I'd pay out around $6-7k for a cherry R, new fully aftermarket everything. And if you wouldn't sell it to me for that price, I'd buy one from somebody else that would. That's the reason you'll never sell it for more, buyers can always go somewhere else cheaper. The only reason somebody would pay more than the standard going price for an R like that, is that they need it right now and can't wait for a regular deal.

Their was a nice LRD aluminum framed LT XC 310?R on Ebay that sold for $6k a couple mos. ago and that thing was MINT! I only wish I had the cash, it was setup perfect.

250Renvy
11-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Aceman,

I completely agree with you when you are talking about used machines and I would expect to pay less for a used machine, but from what I've seen for sale in the $4500-6000 range tend to be missing things like good fenders, Good rims/tires. Usually they need a lot of new things which by the time you get it torn down and rebuilt you'd have $8500-10000 into it. (with the exception of a few I've seen)

I guess no matter what, unless you just ride as is, you'll never find something 100% built the way you want.

My88R

No this isn't for sale in NY, this is my stuff. I'm just debating whether or not to sink more money into it, or plan on building the custom project

Aceman
11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Aceman,

I completely agree with you when you are talking about used machines and I would expect to pay less for a used machine, but from what I've seen for sale in the $4500-6000 range tend to be missing things like good fenders, Good rims/tires.

That LRD framed R wasn't used, it had just finished being built. Completely new everything, you name it, and it had all been powdercoated/polished, etc.

Honestly, it was probably a one-of-a-kind deal and I won't see another one like it for a long time.

800screws
11-02-2007, 05:14 PM
is your 89 laeger the one u are talking about? can u post some pics of it?
and your new one is an HRE? did u go with all their componets or just the frame? what's the specs on that?

250Renvy
11-02-2007, 05:33 PM
800screws,

The one I am talking about is my 89 Laeger, I'll get some pics tommorrow of my parts room because I have everything apart, for the rebuild.

Yes the custom one is the HRE. It's being mapped for CNC bender right now so whoever ordered frames from him can get them a lot quicker.

The frame is a HRE/Laeger 250R Narrow front geometry that will use 450R suspension components/brakes, bumper/grab bar etc and 400ex body including tank.(way cheaper/available OEM plastic and 3 style choices)

This part hasn't been figured out yet but it will have a dual mounting system for both 250R motors and CRF 450 motors.

If I build it the way I want to, I'll end up having 20K into it and IMO it'll be the sickest 250R possibly ever built, but if I part out the 89 laeger (instead of rebuilding it) then I might get away with having only 10K into it, if I use all Mikes components and go with a no-link 450R rear setup.

800screws
11-02-2007, 05:38 PM
could u PM around what it's costing through HRE...

protrax
11-03-2007, 08:49 AM
I have had many full Laeger's Protrax 250r and they did cost over 20K to build new back in the day . To find a new 1 that has not been rideden yet is a score for the right person if the bike is built correctly