PDA

View Full Version : cummins and duramax watch out

pred174
11-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Big news in the Toyota booth was their 2008 Tundra Diesel Dually Project vehicle. A crowd was swarming all over it, drooling over the Hino 8 liter high torque powerplant - created with enough horses to push a 35,000lb commercial truck. Roll it out on a Hino Medium Duty rear end, Meritor axles, and 22.5 inch custom Alcoa wheels .

pred174
11-01-2007, 04:28 PM
interior

yellow400ex05
11-01-2007, 04:36 PM
I read up on this on another truck forum...

Not even competition with only 220 HP and 520ft/lbs of torquefrom an 8.0 liter...:ermm:

SEMA: Toyota Diesel Dually Concept

SEMA 2007:
Toyota Tundra Dually Diesel CrewMax
Photos and Words By: Mike Levine Posted: 10-29-07 15:30 PT
© 2007 PickupTruck.com
It's big - inside and out. Toyota's Tundra Dually Diesel CrewMax has arrived at SEMA with an 8.0-liter I6 Hino oil burner under its hood.
The press kit for the Tundra Dually Diesel will be published tomorrow, but preliminary info on the Hino motor is that it’s bone stock, with power ratings of 220-horsepower and 520 lb-ft of torque. Gears are swapped using an Allison 5-speed manual transmission.

oh and a 75MPH rev limit..:(http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/autoshows/sema2007/toyota/tundradiesel/tundradiesel1.jpg

Rrider4life8
11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
haha HINO. you are joking!!!! we got them at our shop and they wont do 75. POS yoda

powerstroke all the way

pred174
11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
wow nevermind then.......only 220 hp and 520ft/lbs...thats sad

JJs450r
11-01-2007, 05:44 PM
heck ya me and a friend were just talkin about this bout time :)

07250ex
11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by pred174
wow nevermind then.......only 220 hp and 520ft/lbs...thats sad

thats a pathetic engine especially for an 8 liter engine

07250ex
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
not to mention 2600 red line is very turdyyy even for a diesel

atvRiDa400ex
11-01-2007, 07:25 PM
What the EF is that POS motor! anyone buys one of those, i will personaly kill them for being retarded

450raider
11-01-2007, 07:36 PM
toyota and the other japanese companies need to keep their noses where they belong and keep making billions off those little weak hybrids (where chinese/japanese people only grow to like 4'11) with outrageous claims of reliability and resale value that alot of people seem to believe and let the US worry about the big stuff.

chris46250r
11-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Thats all the power you need to pull dried rice.:D

Kickstarts-suck
11-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I read about this on F150online

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/sema2007/toyota/tundradually1.html

pred174
11-02-2007, 01:23 AM
The press kit for the Tundra Dually Diesel will be published tomorrow, but preliminary info on the Hino motor is that it's rated in the neighborhood of 300-horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque. Gears are swapped using an Allison 5-speed manual transmission

where did u get the 220 hp and 520ft/lbs?

smr
11-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by 450raider
toyota and the other japanese companies need to keep their noses where they belong and keep making billions off those little weak hybrids (where chinese/japanese people only grow to like 4'11) with outrageous claims of reliability and resale value that alot of people seem to believe and let the US worry about the big stuff.

Toyota has been building diesel motors longer than just about anybody out there. You gotta remember the US is one of the few countries that diesel isn't the primary fuel.

I have gotten over 350,000 miles out of toyota gas motors....wonder how long thier diesel will run?

This will be a good truck.

gbcap
11-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by 450raider

yeah....cause the big three make awesome trucks. :rolleyes:

50k on my dodge and already replaced a tranny, 2 sets of u joints and front bearings and brakes.

ford made flame thrower powerstrokes.

and the duramax just sucks, esp since you can't even get one now, THE IZUSU Motor, they can't make them fast enough to fill a small amount of trucks they do make.

54warrior
11-02-2007, 06:54 AM
I'll just keep driving my American designed, American built, American manufactured Nissan Titan while the rest of you drive your "American" trucks that are being built in Mexico and Canada!!

Can't there ever be an actual discussion take place about this stuff, rather than the usual, immature, uneducated brand bashing that goes back and forth?

Rulz
11-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by gbcap

50k on my dodge and already replaced a tranny, 2 sets of u joints and front bearings and brakes.

and the duramax just sucks, esp since you can't even get one now, THE IZUSU Motor, they can't make them fast enough to fill a small amount of trucks they do make.

No issues with my Duramax, I love it and it's a towing SOB!!

c450Razy
11-02-2007, 07:57 AM

well when you bought that dodge i could of told ya you would be replacing the trans. :rolleyes:

CDCHONDAS
11-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 07250ex
not to mention 2600 red line is very turdyyy even for a diesel

That really is dependant on a few things, sure a duramax or powerstroke will go alot more and even a dodge cummins, but go drive a large truck where they don't need much of a redline because they are governed at xxxx rpms and live on torque, thats what this engine must have because the hp is pretty low, consider though that an 8.3 cummins is regularly set at 260 HP
also DT466 which is rated anywhere from 190-280 hp but with one set at 260hp your getting about 800 lbs of torque. Drive a big truck sometime, I mean atleast a 10 wheeler and see how low of rpms those engines can build torque, if your capable

smr
11-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Rulz
No issues with my Duramax, I love it and it's a towing SOB!!

that's because it's not made by GM.

I had a 6.5 turbo (made by GM) and it was the biggest peice of junk I ever owned.

JOEX
11-02-2007, 10:47 AM
How about that new Toyota diesel we just heard about.....

400exrider707
11-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
How about that new Toyota diesel we just heard about.....

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Every vehicle out there is going to fail and have problems at some point, after all they were made by humans, they will never be perfect.

chris46250r
11-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Noboby ever blames the loose nut behind the wheel for a vehicle being a POS.

450raider
11-02-2007, 01:35 PM
IMO about the posted toyota
B- for interior (it is fairly nice)
D for bodywork (looks the same as all the other toyotas)
D for motor as said in another post by me, japanese companies should master their current motors before swimming in the big waters.

final thoughts- im not particularly impresed by it yet but well see when they come out with it and have some stupid comercial where they blow it up and throw it off a cliff just to get in it and climb a mountain with it.

and laslty ill do little research and if your observations are correct 54warrior about the US companies creating/building vehicles in canada (which is still cool) and giving more jobs in :tired: mexico then the us, and the jap companies give more americans jobs in the us ill be interested to say the least.

CDCHONDAS
11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
maybe the japanese need better motors for in their trucks but their actual motors are pretty good, consider Izuzu which I think is from Japan, they are a leader in diesel engine manufacturing.

400ex_rider13
11-02-2007, 04:44 PM
All I have to say is that is one massive truck?!

D-7#61-450r
11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
How many of ya'll know were the Tundra's are made? Maybe you should look it up. As for the engine well I don't know. If its good enough for toyota to put there name on it, it will be a very durible product. I didn't here any complaints on the tranny. Maybe because it is better than any of what the so called american trucks have. I am all for a standard tranny in a diesel again. The downfall of the big three is trannys.
I have work for chevrolet and toyota and as far as quality of product toyota wins. But I will not deny the fact the superduty line is not there specialty as of yet. Give them a few years of learning while the others try and play catchup with there technology. Also noone will back there product like Toyota. I was doing a warrenty recal on trucks that were 16 years old because they new there was a problem. Were GM will deny anything that old. Like wiper pulse boards on late 90's trucks, they know its a problem but you will pay for it not GM.

Which 450?
11-02-2007, 08:18 PM
all I got to say is none of you know a jack ****ing didly squat what you're talking about. Learn up on some foreign diesels and get back to me... This happens every time something comes out, everyone bashes it, then once it comes out, they go buy it.

stalefish_132
11-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
I'll just keep driving my Nissan Titan....while rest of you drive your "American" trucks that are being built in Mexico and Canada!!

yeah good luck with that! torqueless wonder! look at where nissan started out, or shall i say datsun! trucks were rusting on their way over the pacific before they even got to the dealers!!!

and built in Canada? wtf is wrong with you? better being built up here than designed by some guy named yokahama.

and that toyota tundra dually is a joke, the only good thing in there is the allison transmission, rate it at what ever HP/TQ you want it still is no match for a Dmax/Allison. go to chevy200K.com, don't think you'll find a site like that for the "import" trucks, maybe the dinky old 4 banger still runs but the frame & body rusted out years ago.

Rrider4life8
11-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I cant wait to see this thing hooked to any of the big 3

speed 450
11-03-2007, 04:31 PM
If the import diesels are so good then why dont you see very many in 18 wheelers.

Flyin-Low
11-03-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't understand why people b1tch and complain like this about bad engineering.. like "oh I had to replace my trans, axle, bearings, ect. ect. because my truck is build like crap"

And then as they drive away they smoke the tires for a hundred feet.

In most cases, it's the drivers and not the manufacturers fault for stuff breaking.

-Martin

clutt225
11-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes the old toyota's had rust problems.
But my tacoma has 269,000km on it and feels like it did new.
I have a large stereo in it and very few ratles, I tow with it I over load it and generally beat the **** out of it.
I have had no problems with this truck at all.
and look no rust!
They may not have it down yet but rest asured they will build the best heavy duty truck in due time.

I also have a 06 chev van pos.
My dad has an 07 vette that has been in for waranty work 4 times in 7000km.

11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by clutt225
Yes the old toyota's had rust problems.
But my tacoma has 269,000km on it and feels like it did new.
I have a large stereo in it and very few ratles, I tow with it I over load it and generally beat the **** out of it.
I have had no problems with this truck at all.
and look no rust!
They may not have it down yet but rest asured they will build the best heavy duty truck in due time.

I also have a 06 chev van pos.
My dad has an 07 vette that has been in for waranty work 4 times in 7000km.

Thanks for comparing a van and a car to a truck.

Drive a vehichle right, and it'll last a long time.

Give Toyota a couple years, and I'm sure they'll have made alot of ground on their diesel trucks.

clutt225
11-03-2007, 06:51 PM
sorry I don't have a chevy truck at this time.
I learn from my mistakes.
I had a ZR2 sonoma that just fell apart with half of the abuse I put the Tacoma through.
Just my opinion based on my past and present rides.

Which 450?
11-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by speed 450
If the import diesels are so good then why dont you see very many in 18 wheelers.

because they're in construction equipment. There's more foreigns in constuction equipment then american... One more thing, Caterpillar engines are made by Perkins which are made in England.

rollie
11-03-2007, 10:10 PM
idk what you huys put your trucks through to have those types of problems, my 02 2500HD has been top notch only problem we've had is the starter flywheel, which was covered under warrenty, and the light that lights up the radio knobs went out, which im sure i could fix but it doesnt bother me much, its not a desiel or anything just stating i beileve any truck will treat you the way you treat it

Toadz400
11-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I really don't think an 8.0L diesel belongs in a pickup truck, especially when it's only putting out 600 ft-lbs of torque. GM's 4.5L V8 Duramax (which is completely in-house) will be putting out 590 ft-lbs of torque. That's nearly half the size with the same amount of torque and more HP. Plus lighter, and did I mention half the weight?

Of course this is just a concept truck and it's not actually what they're using but they should've picked a more impressive engine to use or left out the HP/TQ ratings. It's nice that it produces that power at such low RPM's but it's relatively unimpressive for such a large engine and not practical for a pickup truck. I'm pretty sure the GM/Ford/Dodge diesel trucks handle anything that's thrown at them just fine.

And for people saying that Toyota is so reliable and better than everything else, has anyone heard about their recalls? And how Consumer Reports no longer recommends them just because they're Toyota because of their drop in reliability? I just drive what I can afford, and I definitely can't afford a Toyota.

D-7#61-450r
11-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Why do people complain about recalls? Does it cost you anything to repair it? No. That is the great thing about toyota. They will recall something that they find faulty at no cost to you unlike other manufactures, the big three. What is so wrong with that? I guess the more money than brains comity would rather pay for the repairs that the manufacture should!

Toadz400
11-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by D-7#61-450r
Why do people complain about recalls? Does it cost you anything to repair it? No. That is the great thing about toyota. They will recall something that they find faulty at no cost to you unlike other manufactures, the big three. What is so wrong with that? I guess the more money than brains comity would rather pay for the repairs that the manufacture should!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/07/toyota_recalls.html

"The three July recalls are the latest in a string of problems at Toyota raising doubts over whether the automaker can maintain quality standards amid booming sales."

"Last year, Toyota's recalls in the U.S. more than doubled as the number of recalls industry-wide registered a slight decline."

And I bet not a lot of people have heard this one:

"Toyota was last year instructed by Japan's transport ministry to improve its operations after local police alleged that the company knowingly failed to respond to a defect in a sports utility vehicle.

The automaker later submitted to the government a plan to improve its system for recalling defective vehicles following the rare official rebuke."

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jCVsDlxcY19vyad_Wo3hUo1P_0Iw

Of course it's great that Toyota is recalling things and in most cases covering all the costs (can't say they'd cover the costs in 100% of the cases) but it's the fact that everyone is saying Toyota is such a reliable vehicle, so much better than any other vehicle, when it's really not. The company just seems to take care of itself and it's customers a lot better than the Big Three are.

250R-Dee
11-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Hino diesel engines have been around for a lot longer than most of you are assuming. The vast majority of LARGE diesel trucks in Japan are either Hino (Toyota) or Fuso (Mitsubishi). Do a little more research before getting your panties in a wad!!:rolleyes:

D-7#61-450r
11-04-2007, 12:19 PM
It's really great to see that someone supports all the literature read in the mags. I can just imagine what Is thought buy all the magazine sexual intelectuals when they read dirtwheels april issues.:rolleyes:

honda8&3
11-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Cummins will kill that thing.:rolleyes: Duramax might be trailing though. Forget about POWERSTROKE they need an original diesel not a gas conversion:rolleyes: JMO;)

honda8&3
11-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
Hino diesel engines have been around for a lot longer than most of you are assuming. The vast majority of LARGE diesel trucks in Japan are either Hino (Toyota) or Fuso (Mitsubishi). Do a little more research before getting your panties in a wad!!:rolleyes:

But cummins is the original diesel engine. Cummins are excellent for small 3/4 ton to 6 wheel dumps. But then CATERPILLAR goes from there IMO.:macho :devil:

400eXr1d3rZ
11-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by D-7#61-450r
As for the engine well I don't know. If its good enough for toyota to put there name on it, it will be a very durible product..

True, my dad has a 83 Toyota pick-up that has over 800,000 miles on it...rebuilt the transmission ONCE at 600,000 miles and finally a few months ago rebuilt the engine...after 800,000 miles...it's still running strong.

honda8&3
11-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Ya toyota makes a pretty durable truck. The engine is all right but I'd say cummins is gonna kill it IMO.:cool:

beaker1214
11-04-2007, 07:15 PM

Just being that I worked a dealership and really I think that the duramax is just as well as the rest of them granted the first few years they were out they had some problems with the injectors but now they have come a long way and to say they suck is a stretch or just a lack of really being around them lately. I still think that the Cummins is by far the longest lasting but chevy is far behind them and I like the chevy truck its self better then the dodge.

OOO yeah thats one sweet lookin yota too

Toadz400
11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
gbcap - Where do you get your information? It's strange that you "can't get" the Duramax yet almost every single '07 Chevy I've seen lately is a Duramax. I also see a ton at the dealerships. Craziness!

250rmike
11-04-2007, 08:24 PM
just alittle food for thought didnt find much about power here

http://news.windingroad.com/aftermarket/sema-toyotas-awesome-tundra-diesel-dually/

Rastus
11-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Figured I'd post This (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zShwG9l1F0Q) video.

Sort of funny toyota uses a Chevy to tow their race trailer...
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4764/toyotaracingsilverado1bl3.jpg

I don't have numbers for all domestics, but I found some for GM. This is from chirpthird, although I can't remember the date on it. Take it for what it's worth to you. :)

82% parts in the average GM car or truck are domestic content
At Honda, it’s 49%
At Toyota, it’s 41%
Nissan? 38%
BMW? 11%

(by the way……go look at what the ‘transplants’ pay in taxes….real estate, school, state and federal)

GM/Ford/and DCX provide 23.4 jobs per 100 vehicles sold in the United States

The Japanese competitors? 13.3 jobs per 100 vehicles sold in the United States

GM’s capital investment in the United States from 1999 thru 2003 was $20Billion. Toyota’s capital investment from 1980 thru 2003 was $10.7Billion. Nissan’s? 2.8Billion from 1980 thru 2003…Honda? $5.6Billion – ’80 thru ’03.

GM’s contribution to the U.S. Gross National Product (GNP) is 4 times that of Toyota

Every Day, over 1 million North Americans earn their living by helping GM build and sell cars in North America. – Every month, 457,000 retirees and their spouses count on GM for pension checks. More than 1.1 Million people receive health care benefits from GM. A one-point drop in GM market share results in over 18,000 jobs in the United States.

Also, something I found interesting here but not totally related:
.....in a recent study of Consumer Items as a percent of increase between 1982 and 2005 (source: U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics) take a look at what has increased and by how much:

>New vehicles 38.8%
>Personal care products 53.1%
>Gasoline 61.6%
>Beer/Ale/Malt Beverages at home 76.3%
>Meats 86.4%
>Food away from home 90.8%
>ALL ITEMS 91.3%
>Fish and Seafood 99.4%
>Airline fares 117.7%
>College and tuition costs 359.6%

firefighterjosh
11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
I think this Yota is going to suprise some people.

It might not be the fastest but I see it having more in the million mile club

Which 450?
11-05-2007, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Rastus
Figured I'd post This (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zShwG9l1F0Q) video.

Sort of funny toyota uses a Chevy to tow their race trailer...
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4764/toyotaracingsilverado1bl3.jpg

I don't have numbers for all domestics, but I found some for GM. This is from chirpthird, although I can't remember the date on it. Take it for what it's worth to you. :)

At Honda, it’s 49%
At Toyota, it’s 41%
Nissan? 38%
BMW? 11%

(by the way……go look at what the ‘transplants’ pay in taxes….real estate, school, state and federal)

GM/Ford/and DCX provide 23.4 jobs per 100 vehicles sold in the United States

The Japanese competitors? 13.3 jobs per 100 vehicles sold in the United States

GM’s capital investment in the United States from 1999 thru 2003 was $20Billion. Toyota’s capital investment from 1980 thru 2003 was $10.7Billion. Nissan’s? 2.8Billion from 1980 thru 2003…Honda? $5.6Billion – ’80 thru ’03.

GM’s contribution to the U.S. Gross National Product (GNP) is 4 times that of Toyota

Every Day, over 1 million North Americans earn their living by helping GM build and sell cars in North America. – Every month, 457,000 retirees and their spouses count on GM for pension checks. More than 1.1 Million people receive health care benefits from GM. A one-point drop in GM market share results in over 18,000 jobs in the United States.

Also, something I found interesting here but not totally related:
.....in a recent study of Consumer Items as a percent of increase between 1982 and 2005 (source: U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics) take a look at what has increased and by how much:

>New vehicles 38.8%
>Personal care products 53.1%
>Gasoline 61.6%
>Beer/Ale/Malt Beverages at home 76.3%
>Meats 86.4%
>Food away from home 90.8%
>ALL ITEMS 91.3%
>Fish and Seafood 99.4%
>Airline fares 117.7%
>College and tuition costs 359.6%

nice copy and paste from google

smr
11-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by speed 450

dude you have no idea what you are talking about. Look on the road and count the # of Volvos and Mitsubishi..(how ever you spell it).

I hate to see it but just as American motorcylce companies can't keep up with Japan, niether can the auto industries.

OWE...and for the guy that asked where Toyota makes their trucks.. Princton, Indiana. Cars are made in Georgetown, Ky.

Rastus
11-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Which 450?
nice copy and paste from google

I have never used google, not once. Metasearch FTW. :)

I'm confused as to what I copied and pasted anyways...?

Flip_SideEX
11-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I have never used google, not once. Metasearch FTW. :)

I'm confused as to what I copied and pasted anyways...?

Your research was well done. Who cares if he copy and pasted it? If your complaining about that, come up with something more useful to say and save us the effort of us reading your foolish response. It brought a more useful insight instead of people arguing about where and what is made. It shows the economics behind the consumer and business chaos. Very interesting if you are able to understand it.

For the actual thread now, I drive a GMC truck and my parents have 3 Toyota vehicles. Its all based on personal preference and consumer loyalism.

54warrior
11-05-2007, 12:05 PM
At Honda, it’s 49%
At Toyota, it’s 41%
Nissan? 38%
BMW? 11%
]

All I know is that I'm happy with my Nissan Titan, it does what I need it to do, when I need it to do it. Oh, and it's 60 some percent domestic content. Sheet metal, frame, front and rear diffs, engine are all american. The transmission is the only 'major' component that is made off-shore.

honda8&3
11-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
All I know is that I'm happy with my Nissan Titan, it does what I need it to do, when I need it to do it. Oh, and it's 60 some percent domestic content. Sheet metal, frame, front and rear diffs, engine are all american. The transmission is the only 'major' component that is made off-shore.

The titans are beautiful trucks. Ride smooth lots of room nice interior and plenty of power.:cool: I'm a GM guy and I would buy a titan anyday. I can't wait to see a titan diesel!:cool:

250rmike
11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5hzRLG8dA-E