PDA

View Full Version : Wood shop.

ZeroLogic
11-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Well in 09 I'm deciding to go to a school for cabinetry and furniture building. In my shop class I'm taking pictures of the projects that I've built so far for my portfolio. But since I have it I might as well show it off!:p

Heres a shoe/jacket cabinit I have built for a teacher. He gave me a 25 dollar gas card too! This was before I painted it a white wash he requested.:ermm: :grr:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/zerologic/Shoecoatcloset.jpg

Here is a podium I just finished today.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/zerologic/podium.jpg

HondaEXrider22
11-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Did you make those with plans? Or did you make up your own plans?

Not to be a d1ck...but pretty much anybody can follow directions and make something up.

ohsobad_chevy
11-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Looks good man, woodworking is always fun and rewarding. :)

Ghost-Rider
11-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Looks good !

big_saxy
11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Pretty cool man. That kind of stuff is what I do all day long at my job. I work for a custom cabinetry shop here in my home town. We do kitchens, baths, entertainment centers, fireplaces and about anything else you can make out of wood. Didn't know you could go to school for that. Maybe if i had, i'd be making more money! :confused:

ZeroLogic
11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22

Not to be a d1ck...but pretty much anybody can follow directions and make something up.

For the first one all I had was a small picture of what his daughter had. He wanted the exact thing. For the second one I made up everything.

Originally posted by big_saxy
Pretty cool man. That kind of stuff is what I do all day long at my job. I work for a custom cabinetry shop here in my home town. We do kitchens, baths, entertainment centers, fireplaces and about anything else you can make out of wood. Didn't know you could go to school for that. Maybe if i had, i'd be making more money! :confused:

Well hell you have my dream job.:p
This is the school I'm planning on going to. http://www.woodschool.org/
I like it because it has a small class and its not to long. I'm going for the 9 month class.

The pictures are streched though. They look taller/skinnier then they really are.:ermm:

chris46250r
11-01-2007, 07:43 PM

Then build something and post a picture. And I am being a d1ck.

ZeroLogic
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Stop friggen fighting in my thread!:ermm: :chinese:

chris46250r
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
By the way, nice job Zero.

Ghost-Rider
11-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Stop friggen fighting in my thread!:ermm: :chinese:

Chris seems to do that in a lot of threads.

The internet, serious business.

chris46250r
11-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I actually thought I was defending Zero a little. Wont make that mistake again.

ZeroLogic
11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
10-4

big_saxy
11-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
For the first one all I had was a small picture of what his daughter had. He wanted the exact thing. For the second one I made up everything.

Well hell you have my dream job.:p
This is the school I'm planning on going to. http://www.woodschool.org/
I like it because it has a small class and its not to long. I'm going for the 9 month class.

The pictures are streched though. They look taller/skinnier then they really are.:ermm:

Dude, that place looks cool! I already do a lot of that stuff but you can always learn more. Maybe i should see if my boss will send me for the 9 month course. :)

ZeroLogic
11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm going to work with my boss framing houses and what not until the 09 classes. Then I'm going off to Maine. I plan on saving all of my money from graduation til I leave and just rent something there for nine months and just get a side job. I may be buying a truck if mine starts giving me troubles. But I don't think she will.

Ghost-Rider
11-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
I actually thought I was defending Zero a little. Wont make that mistake again.

Was not saying that you were insulting him, just seems you go off easy.

big_saxy
11-01-2007, 08:12 PM
You should see if a small cabinet shop up in maine will hire you part time. You could start by building drawers and toe kicks and stuff. That's how I got started. www.patzerwoodworking.com That's where i work, check it out.

spanky101
11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
i love wood shop too! right now i am turning some bowls on the lathe... i will get some pictures when they are all done. My next project i really havent decided on. Any reasonable ideas?

ZeroLogic
11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
You guys do some nice work. I'm looking to live in PA. Its hard finding a cabinet shop here though. I have a question. How do you guys put the stain and finish on them. I use a stain then let it dry for a day. I then put a coat of polyurethane on it. Let it dry for a day then lightly sand it and put another coat on it until it reaches the right "shine" for lack of better words. I could never understand how ya'll get that finish like that.:ermm:

big_saxy
11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
we put the stain on and then wipe it back off before it dries or else you get streaks and "blotchyness" then we spray 3 coats of clear laquer on sanding lightly between coats

TRUE
11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I always put stain on with a rag and then wipe it down with a dry rag. Grampa's way :)

mudrunner35
11-01-2007, 09:35 PM

lol that statement couldn't be more wrong, yes it is easy to read some plans and slap something together, but it takes skill to make your measurements and agles percise;) plan or no plan

CDCHONDAS
11-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by mudrunner35
lol that statement couldn't be more wrong, yes it is easy to read some plans and slap something together, but it takes skill to make your measurements and agles percise;) plan or no plan

Fit and finish my friends

ZeroLogic
11-02-2007, 10:01 PM
My boss once told me, everyone isn't ment to swing a hammer.:ermm:

ZeroLogic
11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Heres a bookshelf I just finished today for a teacher. Nothing
special.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/zerologic/Bookshelf2.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/zerologic/Bookshelf1.jpg