PDA

View Full Version : broke oil filter bolt

GRowland
11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
I recently broke the long bolt that holds the oil filter cover on. Is there any way of removing it without taking the clutch cover off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

jeremy_283
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
no

EX LONERIDER
11-01-2007, 02:29 PM
how much of the bolt is still in there? there is a possibility that you could use a reverserotation drill bit to remove it. you find one thats the right size and drill into it. once the bit grabs the bolt, it should rotate it counter clockwise and screw out of there. only thing is these bits are expensive and kinda hard to find. only other option is to soak the threads in penetrating oil then drill it with a regular bit and use a square punch end to tap into the hole of the broken bolt and ease it off.

good luck.

dustin_j
11-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I just had the opposite of this happen. I removed my long bolt fine, but the threads from the case came with it. The hole is deeper than the factory bolt, so I'm going to try a longer bolt. Anybody else had this happen, and what did you do?

mittman
11-01-2007, 04:27 PM
i was lucky when mine broke there was enough sticking out that i took the hacksaw an cut a slit so i could use a flat head to get it out but i'm not sure what it looks like over the net so sorry i cant help you.