PDA

View Full Version : yfz battery

mittman
11-01-2007, 09:47 AM
i just bought a 05 yfz and i'm new to the yamaha family. when i start it up it sounds like the batt is weak but it does start it sounds like the starter should be turning faster i'm not sure if thats how its supposed to be but if anyone can help let me know thanks

11-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Might be weak. Its hard to tell over the internet. But give it a charge see how she goes.

Toadz400
11-01-2007, 03:57 PM
I would definitely charge it up or else take it out for a nice long ride with your lights on. Since it's an '05 it probably sat for quite awhile without ever being started up, thus slowly depleting the battery's charge.

Do you have a trickle charger? If so, I'd throw it on one of those over night.

mittman
11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
yep if i can find it

Trx4Life
11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
I just cut out the little compartment where the owners manuel went behind the battery and put a 14bs battery in mine. Its huge but it fits just enough to put the seat back on. Stock is I think 85cca and the 14bs is 200cca. Not to mention you can get it at walmart for like 60 bucks. Verses the 150 the stealer wants for a new yfz battery.

Just a thought encase you think yours is going bad.

Trx4Life
11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I just cut out the little compartment where the owners manuel went behind the battery and put a 14bs battery in mine. Its huge but it fits just enough to put the seat back on. Stock is I think 85cca and the 14bs is 200cca. Not to mention you can get it at walmart for like 60 bucks. Verses the 150 the stealer wants for a new yfz battery.

Toadz400
11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Trx4Life

Yea it's very common for people to swap out the stock battery for a larger motorcycle battery. I think the most common one is the CBR600R battery. Much cheaper at Wal-Mart and a whole lot more cranking power. Not entirely sure if this will have any effect on the starter though.

pro-rider46
11-04-2007, 07:15 PM
it seems like yfzs have some trouble starting and chargering, isnt there a kit that fixes the problem

Toadz400
11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
it seems like yfzs have some trouble starting and chargering, isnt there a kit that fixes the problem

The '04's and very few of the '05's are known to have some charging problems. Not every single YFZ does, just a few of the older ones.

I believe there were capacitors made to help keep a charge but I have no idea where you can find them. If you don't take off your lights just run with them on all the time and you won't have a problem if you have an '04 or '05.

pro-rider46
11-09-2007, 05:09 PM
well my friend is the one with the 05, its really nice, but it locked up, and he got it rebuilt and now the bulbs got 75w to them and blow as soon as you turb it on. and its got a lil bit of problems starting and charging, it sometimes starts as soon as you press the button, and other times i find myself pushing my @$$ off. haha

Toadz400
11-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
well my friend is the one with the 05, its really nice, but it locked up, and he got it rebuilt and now the bulbs got 75w to them and blow as soon as you turb it on. and its got a lil bit of problems starting and charging, it sometimes starts as soon as you press the button, and other times i find myself pushing my @$$ off. haha

Obviously he's got some problems there because the bulbs shouldn't blow. He should probably check his wiring or put in a different rated bulb (I have no idea what stock is).

When it doesn't start, does it make any noise or any attempt to start when you push the button? Could be a solenoid problem.

pro-rider46
11-10-2007, 07:38 PM
yeah. it cranks slowly sometimes stopping dead in its tracks, when it doesnt start he lets it sit for about a minute, and lets the comp. go down, he got a hi comp in it. i believe 13 to 1, i thought maybe its decomp wasnt set correctly, and for the bulbs blowing, stock is like 35w so its getting like double what it should, they took it back to the dealer and he couldnt figure out whats wrong. so idk

pro-rider46
11-10-2007, 07:39 PM
oh and his starter is all good, it doesnt need anything, they pulled it off and took it to a starter shop and its all like new,

yfzrider45
11-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I bought a battery for my jet ski that i had to put the acid in myself, so when i had starting/charging problems, i had some left over so i emptied my stock acid in my neighbors woods, and put some of the everstart acid in and its like its on steroids!! anyone else do that??

pro-rider46
11-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider45
I bought a battery for my jet ski that i had to put the acid in myself, so when i had starting/charging problems, i had some left over so i emptied my stock acid in my neighbors woods, and put some of the everstart acid in and its like its on steroids!! anyone else do that??

i dont think that you should be throwing that stuff in your neighbors woods

gtpro5.0
11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
my 05yfz 450 will not run unless the lights are on,any idea on what it could be,its like it overcharges but i installed a street bike battery in it,had wiring checked.it run's great when lights are on,but when you know something is wrong,you would like to fix it.lol..any ideas.thanks

Toadz400
11-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by gtpro5.0
my 05yfz 450 will not run unless the lights are on,any idea on what it could be,its like it overcharges but i installed a street bike battery in it,had wiring checked.it run's great when lights are on,but when you know something is wrong,you would like to fix it.lol..any ideas.thanks

That's a "common" problem with the '04's and some '05's. Yamaha had a brain fart when designing their charging system so the battery only charges at a certain RPM unless you have your lights on. I believe there was a capacitor that you could buy that would store the electricity.