PDA

View Full Version : longtravel or standard?

Crazy lil punk
10-31-2007, 07:02 PM
lets here the arguments, is longtravel really worth the extra cash? Please let me know your thoughts, I am a local track rider, maybee do a couple races next season, I love to hit jumps, and I am a "heavyer" rider, 250#, I have an 04 yfz, thanks

mx1791
10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
i say ST

400exrider707
11-01-2007, 05:39 AM
I say search, there are tons of topics discussing the benefits of both. Check out the sticky at the top of the page!;)

11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
if...key word if you can afford long travel its deffinately worth it. standard is pretty good too just doesnt have all the fine tuning and as plush as a ride.

zeus54
11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
IMO......... IT'S A CASE BY CASE SCENARIO. I HAVE RUN BOTH LONG TRAVEL AND STANDARD FOR BOTH MX AND HARESCRAMBLES. I DON'T GET TO RIDE EVERYDAY OR WEEKEND,SOMETIMES I DON'T GET A CHANCE TO RIDE ALL MONTH. ALTHOUGH WHEN I RIDE AND RACE I LIKE TO BE COMPETITIVE WITH EVERYONE ELSE, AND I WOULD CHOSE LT OVER ST JUST FOR THE AMOUNT OF SUSPENSION TRAVEL U HAVE WITH LT. I CURRENTLY RUN PEP'S FRNT AND BACK THEY FEEL SMOOTHER TO ME........ THAN ELKA'S AND CUSTOM AXIS. I WEIGH ABOUT 165# AND HAVE THEM SETUP FOR 185 FOR THE BIGGER STUFF OUT THERE. AS FAR AS ADJUSTMENTS,,,,,,THE COMPRESSION AND REBOUND SETUPS ARE DIFFERENT PER EACH COMPANY AND BUILDER, AS WELL AS THE VALVING.

JOEX
11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by zeus54
IMO......... IT'S A CASE BY CASE SCENARIO. I HAVE RUN BOTH LONG TRAVEL AND STANDARD FOR BOTH MX AND HARESCRAMBLES. I DON'T GET TO RIDE EVERYDAY OR WEEKEND,SOMETIMES I DON'T GET A CHANCE TO RIDE ALL MONTH. ALTHOUGH WHEN I RIDE AND RACE I LIKE TO BE COMPETITIVE WITH EVERYONE ELSE, AND I WOULD CHOSE LT OVER ST JUST FOR THE AMOUNT OF SUSPENSION TRAVEL U HAVE WITH LT. I CURRENTLY RUN PEP'S FRNT AND BACK THEY FEEL SMOOTHER TO ME........ THAN ELKA'S AND CUSTOM AXIS. I WEIGH ABOUT 165# AND HAVE THEM SETUP FOR 185 FOR THE BIGGER STUFF OUT THERE. AS FAR AS ADJUSTMENTS,,,,,,THE COMPRESSION AND REBOUND SETUPS ARE DIFFERENT PER EACH COMPANY AND BUILDER, AS WELL AS THE VALVING.
How much more travel do you get with LT shocks?

FREE RIDIN
11-01-2007, 08:22 PM
none, just a longer shock w/ sometimes more adjustment thats why i vote std. best bang for the buck

11-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by FREE RIDIN
none, just a longer shock w/ sometimes more adjustment thats why i vote std. best bang for the buck

thats exactly correct...long travel doesnt mean your getting more travel, its just a longer shock body with more adjustments for fine tuning

JOEX
11-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I was just wondering if zeus54 knew:scary:

bwamos
11-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Main question I would ask:
Are you experiencing your shocks fading from heat?

If YES get LT
If NO get ST

FREE RIDIN
11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
JOEX i know, thought i would help a guy out. thats true with a longer shock as in LT you would have more room for heat to excape. but with a STD remote rezzie shock doesn't that have the same effect, and in the long run aren't the arms for STD usually and average of $300 less than LT arms; not to mention the shocks are less. so really the only thing people are gaining with LT is more expense and a longer shock that they cannot use to its capabilities. seeing as the frame would be six inches below the ground. know what i mean. whats the point?????

400exrider707
11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
If you cant tune a shock to begin with, you have no business buying LT suspension setups, unless you have money to burn and like the looks of LT better. To me its not worth it and I consider myself pretty knowledgable on the subject, yet I still run ST with stock Honda Rebuilds on mine...;)

zeus54
11-02-2007, 11:07 PM
i don't mean to start a bashing but you guys need to get your info straight. lt and st shocks can and sometimes due offer the exact same adjustments for "fine tuning" ie,,,,compression,rebound,preload, and high-low speed compression. valving is ALSO a big part of setup because zero preload [zps] shocks can be setup with more or less sag in the valving and spring rate,# of springs can also change this. lt shocks provide you with a more progressive rate of travel opting for maximum shock travel and effiency. now i'm not saying it's the best system for everyone nor is it the cheapest. but there is a difference.;)

zeus54
11-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
How much more travel do you get with LT shocks?

check with the "EXPERTS"`on the exact amount. my choice between lt and st pep's were not based only on travel. length differences vary upon a-arms,shock absorber, model of machine,and of course setup.