PDA

View Full Version : wiring harness question

800screws
10-31-2007, 06:00 PM
okay, i can't get spark out of my eletrical system, it's an 88-89 system. so far i tried stripping it to the bare minimum to run. does this sound right...
out of the stator comes the red/black wire to the cdi, i have both plugs plugged into the cdi, the one plug with the red/black wire and the black/white, the black/white wire is hooked up to nothing (which should go to the on/off switch). out of the cdi, the only wires being used are the yellow/black running to the ignition coil and the green wire which goes to the ground and the ignition coil green wire is also grounded. am i missing anything? i'm going to be using a killswitch. no dimmer switches, lights etc.

if i'm missing something, i have to start checking the cdi, coil and stator.

Creech52
10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 800screws
the black/white wire is hooked up to nothing (which should go to the on/off switch).

I know nothing about 250R electrical systems, but I know some can get finicky if certain wires arent grounded or in a complete circuit (yes I have hot wired a few bikes, im not a theif) also messing with the stupid over ride and TORS on a banshee Ive learned that you may need to ground something out or twist something together. Check out a schematic on the wiring and see what controls what and where switches and stuff need to be closed to let the current to other things. What Im trying to say is even if its just a wire, it still may need to be terminated to ground or wired to another wire to complete the "whole" circuit.

Edit: Forgot to mention a Ohm meter will be a big help...you will be able to see where the power stops at, along with a diagram Im sure you could figure out whats wrong.

Aceman
10-31-2007, 09:40 PM
You're missing two wires that run from the pulse generator to the cdi. Green/white and blue/yellow.

800screws
11-01-2007, 04:53 PM
okay, got those 2 hooked up, what abou the white wire coming out of the stator and the black/white wire coming out of the cdi? do they need to go anywhere?

Aceman
11-01-2007, 05:35 PM
The white wire is your lighting coil.
The black/white goes to your killswitch.

It should start the way it is right now, when you want to kill it ground out the black/white wire.

800screws
11-02-2007, 04:43 AM
alright, time to break out the meter....

wilkin250r
11-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Aceman had it right.

In order to fire, you need the pulse generator, and the ignition coil.

I explained to somebody else, it's like a gun. The pulse generator is like the hammer attached to the trigger. The hammer comes foward hand hits the bullet, right? But it doesn't PUSH the bullet out of the barrel, it doesn't have enough power.

The power comes the3 gunpowder, this is like the exciter coil. But the gunpowder doesn't fire all by itself, right? No, it needs a signal, from the trigger.

The pulse generator is your timing, the exciter coil is your power. Together, they produce the spark.

800screws
11-02-2007, 04:31 PM
okay, stator checked out good, but at the coil i got 2.4 where the wires connect and 222 from the cap to ground... so whatcha think bad ignition coil?

Aceman
11-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Beerock's sticky covers this.........so does a service manual......

If your primary resistance isn't between .1-.3 you need to toss the coil, it's junk. Measurements should be taken at around 68* degrees also, how much this affects the resistance, I have no idea.

800screws
11-02-2007, 05:13 PM
yeah, i checked that out, that's where i got the specs from...just wanted to make sure then that the coil was bad. got a new one on the way, thanks for the help.