PDA

View Full Version : Compression Tester?

TANNER250r
10-31-2007, 01:25 PM
I have been looking for a 2 stroke compression tester but cant find one. If some one can post a link or a store name that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tanner

Creech52
10-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Any automotive gauge will work.
Here you go:
Compression tester debate (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-114/good-compression-gauge-11506/)

GPracer2500
10-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Most any compression tester should work. I bought a cheapy at Walmart that works fine.

GPracer2500
10-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Creech52
Any automotive gauge will work.
Here you go:
Compression tester debate (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-114/good-compression-gauge-11506/)

Pretty good read.

Perhaps something worth mentioning is that all the cheap gauges I've owned DID have and air stop valve in the end of the hose that adapts to the engine. The Group K article kind of makes it sound like you have to get the $220 Snap-On gauge to get that feature. The $20 one (or whatever it cost) I got at Walmart has it. So does my spare cheapy gauge and the one I threw out not long ago.

The one I threw out became totally inaccurate. It was old and had been knocked around a lot. It wouldn't hold pressure in the gauge long enough to even get a reading. My spare reads something like 20psi lower than it should--but does it consistently. I think this is mostly from age and use/abuse. On the newer one I bought from Walmart, I checked it against two other gauges and they all read identically at 150psi. That gave me reasonable assurance the Walmart gauge was fairly accurate (the two other gauges where on compressors, FWIW). I figure: what are the odds three different pressure gauges were all reading identical figures and they are all wrong? Possible, but it sure seems unlikely.

The Walmart gauge does feel cheap though (as have all other budget gauges I've owned). I don't expect it to withstand much banging around. But for what it costs, it's easier for me to just replace cheap gauges when needed than pony up big bucks all at once for a really nice gauge. Although it would be nice to have a good one.

The Walmart gauge also came with the 12mm adapter I needed for my old 400EX. The gauges I found at autoparts stores didn't have that one included. I bet ALL gauges will included the 14mm size needed for most two stroke plugs (any NGK plug that starts with "B").

$0.02

Aceman
10-31-2007, 04:30 PM
I have one from Sears, bought it a long time ago so I can't remember the cost but it still works well. It also has the check valve at the end of the hose.

86 Quad R
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
the last two that i've bought were from discount/advanced auto and the only reason i bought the last one was because something happened to the hose on the previous gauge. i've compared them to the more exspensive gauges and they were purdy dayum close.

both gauges did not come with the 12mm adapter(and at the time couldnt find one) for the 400ex, big reds ect but, i used a 14mm non fouler and old 12mm plug to make one. :D now i need to make one for the occasional crotch rocket that rolls in and needs servicing. :blah: