PDA

View Full Version : This ones for the parents

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Ok Moms and Dads...
Everyone I know will have there own ideas on piercings, but Ill ask anyways....
My Daughter Kelsey is begging for some piercings.Im a little torn on it. ITs not too extreme, but Im still a little unsure .

She is turning 14 in a Month and wants them for her Bday.
She wants to pierce her nose and her Belly:scary:
She actually already has a belly piercing that she done herself(I was in shock when I saw that(girls night slumber at my house with an ear ring piercer)!! but it didnt go far enough into the skin .
Im OK with it now because she hardly wears anything that shows her belly anyhow .lol :p
I just dont want any regrets later on in life for her getting them and Im not sure how, or if, a nose piercing can completely seal up ??
Her nose ring would consist of a small diamond or stud ring, NO bull rings or anything like that.
:p
Apparently alot of the kids have them and Im out of the loop on these things a little .
I actually like piercings when they are done nicely. Im not a believer in putting holes over 90% of your body and the whole guaging things grosses me out .

Is this the norm for kids this age?
Im sure in a couple more years, Ill be dealing with this with my boy too .:ermm: :p

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Why would anyone want to do something like this :huh
http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/sonia.jpg

Ghost-Rider
10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Hmm, I can remember a lot of girls doing this back in middle school. And i also knew someone who did the same exact thing as your daughter with the ear ring thing on her belly button. The difference is the girl that I knew ended up bleeding all over. And the other girl had hers done professionally and she showed it to me and asked me what I thought, I noticed it was red and told her to keep an eye on it. She thought it was just sore, she showed me it every day i think and i noticed it got worse and worse. Finally I told her i was sure it was infected, sure enough it was, she said it ended up being a painful thing.

Lazy people version: Girl i knew got belly button pierced and it became infected. And painful.

As for the nose, personally I think it's kind of dumb but thats just me.

And QJ, What does your son want pierced ?

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Hmm, I can remember a lot of girls doing this back in middle school. And i also knew someone who did the same exact thing as your daughter with the ear ring thing on her belly button. The difference is the girl that I knew ended up bleeding all over. And the other girl had hers done professionally and she showed it to me and asked me what I thought, I noticed it was red and told her to keep an eye on it. She thought it was just sore, she showed me it every day i think and i noticed it got worse and worse. Finally I told her i was sure it was infected, sure enough it was, she said it ended up being a painful thing.

Lazy people version: Girl i knew got belly button pierced and it became infected. And painful.

As for the nose, personally I think it's kind of dumb but thats just me.

And QJ, What does your son want pierced ?

My Son hasnt asked for one-YET.. But it wouldnt surprise me. Hes going to be my "wild child " I have a feeling .
He digs all the Mohawks and wild colored hair .:p :ermm:

Kelseys percing actually turned out very nicely. Even the gal at the salon siad she couldnt believe how well it turned out. She got a butt chewin for doing it herself,cause even though the gun was sterile,doing it herself I didnt agree with.
she kinda snuck that piercing in,thinking it was no biggie,we got past that and have talked about it and she is to ask from now on.
Her Dad seems better about this stuff than I. I just dont want her to have regrets later.
Klesey has a birthmark on her tummy that has bothered for a long time, I think this is her way of getting past being so modest with it,and if it makes her feel better about her appearance, then I guess Im ok with it.
For some reason this girl doesnt think she is a pretty girl .:confused:
I think shes beautiful inside and out!!

Ghost-Rider
10-31-2007, 01:14 PM
I think as long as it's just a normal piercing and no gauge then it should close up if she later decided she doesn't like it.

54warrior
10-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Yes to the belly
No to the nose! those are hideous

Thats coming from a non-parent, 25 yo redneck though

Badmammajamma
10-31-2007, 01:35 PM
As far as the nose piercing goes, my girlfriend had a stud in her nose for about a month. It hurt getting it done but she liked it for a while. After a couple weeks the area around it kept turing red/infected even though she cleaned it every day twice a day. She took it out and a week or 2 later you couldn't tell she ever had it.

chris46250r
10-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Belly button is okay the way I see it. And I'm gonna give the nose a big fat NO. My opinion only, a nose ring is to help pretty up an ugly face. She is already pretty without one. I'm not a parent but a 35 year old proud uncle of a 14 year old girl.

10-31-2007, 02:01 PM
i am going the other way on the nose...a very tiny one is all i would allow though...my wife wants it done, and it would not be a problem with either one, but she is a paralegal and, even though her boss would be cool about it, it is still inappropriate in our opinion.

doing it now would be good for her. by the time she would need to take it out, it would be healed and she could interview and work in a professional setting with it out and then put it back in when it is not inappropriate

my wife already has a belly button piercing and they are easily hidden...

but then again, we are more liberal and have the taboo tattoos...

tim colston
10-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes to the belly, although i think it is a little overdone.

Yes to the nose if it is the smallest stud possible. I think it is looks nice on girls. But 14 may be a little early. I am actually going to change my answer to no until she is 16 on the nose.

Keep in mind that this is coming from a person that has roughly 20 tattoos and numerous piercings, which I don't have any longer except the nips and one of them were loosened, quite abruptly, in a diagreement.

Good luck I have about 13 yrs left til i have to deal with this.

10-31-2007, 02:11 PM
mine is 6...she don't have her ears pierced yet...we are waiting until she is old enough to make that decision on her own, along with the ability to take care of them properly...

elite ATV1
10-31-2007, 02:19 PM
As long as she dosnt end up looking like this i would say let her get them.

http://www.elheraldo.com.ar/suples/2007/05/minio14.jpg

tp300ex
10-31-2007, 02:29 PM
im 16 and i love girls with belly rings but if she does get that there will be guys wanting to see it and looking at her more...

Ghost-Rider
10-31-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm guessing guys are part of the reason she wants it done.

416exfreak
10-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

For some reason this girl doesnt think she is a pretty girl .:confused:

Youve gotta be kidding me.

Personally, I think she is one of the most beautiful girls ive ever seen in thats close to my age. And she can ride the hell out of a quad, so she's deffinately got props.:p

416exfreak
10-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Id say yes to the belly button ring and to the nose ring. But only yes to the nose ring if it was a small daimond or something. Nothing big.

My parents wont let me have any piercings:ermm: , but its all good, because I can grow my hair as long as I want it:devil:

...It does get on my nerves when im putting a helmet on though:ermm:

Pappy
10-31-2007, 02:42 PM
isnt the new saying....

"if she's peirced she'll poke":chinese:

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Youve gotta be kidding me.

YEP..Thats how she feels.
GIRLS... Sigh.... :rolleyes:

Its funny cause shes a quiet,shy type and isnt the wild child type of kid.
She has a good head on her shoulder and is currently a Straight A student. :)
Thats why Im torn on it .

ATW55
10-31-2007, 03:21 PM
look in the december dirt wheels letter section isnt that her with the cr85 conversion

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ATW55
look in the december dirt wheels letter section isnt that her with the cr85 conversion
yeah, thats her.

416exfreak
10-31-2007, 05:33 PM

Yea, the deal with my parents is, if i can maintain an A average then I can keep my hair long. And im keeping straight A's this year so my dad will pay for half of a new 450. Im paying the other half.:devil:

And I cant beleive that she thinks she isnt pretty. If you guys lived around here, you'd have to beat the boys around here off of her with a bat....literally.:blah:

It would be nice to have a riding buddy though. I get tired of trying to beat my own lap times.:ermm:

Robin Hood
10-31-2007, 08:52 PM

Look out for them quiet ones Lol.

Piercings are the new "in." She sounds just like my girlfriend being quiet, shy, and wanting more piercings. Everyone has a belly ring and I've only met a few girls who have gotten their nose pierced. I'd say let her have the belly piercing but wait on the nose. It might come back to haunt her later on, and since not many girls have it, guys might get the impression that she's a little more wild than they thought. :p

MX MaNiAc 06
10-31-2007, 09:02 PM
I personally find nose and belly button rings attractive. But im 17. When i was 14 was like :huh . I think u should let her do it. Its not like shed be some weirdo they are both normal piercings that will make her look good.

Anyone who knows piercings.. i have never had anything pierced but id like to get my tongue pierced. Will it close up if i take it out? What are the chances of getting infection? Does it make a difference when u eat or drink?

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 09:15 PM
To be honest, I am quite surprised to hear so many being OK with a belly button ring..
I figured it would go the other way around! lol

I think Im going to give the nod to have her belly redone, but I think the nose we will hold off on until maybe 16,and then go fr om there. Fads and styles change so quickly that I dont want to see her make the mistake too young on this one.
I seen some of the scarring a nosr ring can cause and I think having that on your face would be a real bummer...I think we will hold off for now .
Thanks for your opinions everyone,you made my decidion abit easier.:)

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
Look out for them quiet ones Lol.

LOL No doubt!

chevy
10-31-2007, 09:27 PM
i would let her get one done it seems like every girl has their nose and belly buttons pierced these days....

im a guy and i got my nipples pierced and they were my first and last piercings

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by chevy
i would let her get one done it seems like every girl has their nose and belly buttons pierced these days....

OMG I cant even imagine getting nipples pierced!! :scary: YYEEEOUCHIE!~!
Did it hurt like hell?

chris46250r
10-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by chevy

TMI!

07250ex
10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Ok Moms and Dads...
Everyone I know will have there own ideas on piercings, but Ill ask anyways....
My Daughter Kelsey is begging for some piercings.Im a little torn on it. ITs not too extreme, but Im still a little unsure .

She is turning 14 in a Month and wants them for her Bday.
She wants to pierce her nose and her Belly:scary:
She actually already has a belly piercing that she done herself(I was in shock when I saw that(girls night slumber at my house with an ear ring piercer)!! but it didnt go far enough into the skin .
Im OK with it now because she hardly wears anything that shows her belly anyhow .lol :p
I just dont want any regrets later on in life for her getting them and Im not sure how, or if, a nose piercing can completely seal up ??
Her nose ring would consist of a small diamond or stud ring, NO bull rings or anything like that.
:p
Apparently alot of the kids have them and Im out of the loop on these things a little .
I actually like piercings when they are done nicely. Im not a believer in putting holes over 90% of your body and the whole guaging things grosses me out .

Is this the norm for kids this age?
Im sure in a couple more years, Ill be dealing with this with my boy too .:ermm: :p

no say no to a nose ring or lip or anything like that personally it looks un attractive if u ask me and if your not close enough it just looks like a mole as for your son some guys can get away with 2 diamond studs in there ears while others cant

Robin Hood
10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh jeez, I just read she's turning 14! I totally zoned out while I was reading the original post lol.

14 is reallllly young for a belly piercing. I'd wait until 16 for that. Most of the time they stick out and show underneath a tight shirt, which is why most girls are starting to wear clothes that don't reach past their belly. So keep in mind that along with the ring comes shorter and shorter shirts. If she doesn't plan on wearing shirts like that then why even bother getting it pierced? You could then wait until at least spring when it's warmer. This would give you some more time to think about it. Like you said, fads come and go quickly.

At least she's not begging for a tattoo on her lower back... yet.. :p

chris46250r
10-31-2007, 09:59 PM
The good ole tramp stamp. Or a bumper sticker as I call it.

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood

At least she's not begging for a tattoo on her lower back... yet.. :p

Umm..... Actually....LOL!

No but seriously, she does want a TAT, but that will wait for sure until later.;)
Shes already poked her belly, so Im not going to sweat it now .
Like I mentioned earlier, I think that whole thing is a way with her dealing with masking a birthmark she has there . I could be wrong, but I think Im pretty accurate on it.

I think my main concern is her overdueing all this stuff then ehre comes the time when shes old enough to get a job, then she gets turned down for jobs because of plugs, holes and Tats...She has plans for Collegde and a degree, so I hate to see her rush into anything major right now.
At least a belly ring is hidden.
I dunno why kids feel they have to do so much at such a young age.
Maybe I did too and I just dont remember it . :p

Robin Hood
10-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Umm..... Actually....LOL!

No but seriously, she does want a TAT, but that will wait for sure until later.;)
Shes already poked her belly, so Im not going to sweat it now .
Like I mentioned earlier, I think that whole thing is a way with her dealing with masking a birthmark she has there . I could be wrong, but I think Im pretty accurate on it.

I think my main concern is her overdueing all this stuff then ehre comes the time when shes old enough to get a job, then she gets turned down for jobs because of plugs, holes and Tats...She has plans for Collegde and a degree, so I hate to see her rush into anything major right now.
At least a belly ring is hidden.
I dunno why kids feel they have to do so much at such a young age.
Maybe I did too and I just dont remember it . :p

Glad you're holding off on that tat at least lol.

You're right about the whole job thing too. I always wanted a lip ring or to have my ears pierced to get the whole "punk" look down, but I was talked out of it by my dad. I can honestly look back a few years and laugh at the idea.

She's a smart girl and I'm sure that if she thinks about it long enough she'll make the right choices. And if she doesn't listen, you still have 4 years of control. :blah:

firefighterjosh
10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
My GF has a belly pierced, I dont think it is that big of a deal at a younger age.

The nose thing I think should wait. You can hide a belly ring and let it heal and never can tell again, a nose ring is diffrent.

PLus I heard your booger get stuck on it:huh Sexy eh?

QuadJunkies
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
PLus I heard your booger get stuck on it:huh Sexy eh?

LMAO!!
I wonder if you can blow it threw the hole? :huh :p
I though I had heard that somewhere before with bigger holes.

CannondaleRider
11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey Tina, I think a belly ring would be alright.

BUT, just clarify that it's absolutely what she wants. I remember 4 years back when I was 14....I was able to be pressured into things that I wasn't really sure of.

She's got a good head on her shoulders, but just make sure she's not doing it "Because everyone else is" or anything like that. Obviously, if the first attempt at piercing was the result of a SLUMBER party....I'd guess there was some pressure there, and I'd guess there's some pressure now. I don't see her being a follower, but I'd clarify that....

mineralgrey01gt
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
my g/f has one and IMO it is attractive if she wears the right belly riing. Some of them doesnt look right and are unattractive

KB Motorsports
11-01-2007, 01:11 PM
I'd say no to the nose piercing..

:macho be firm :p

Ghost-Rider
11-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
The good ole tramp stamp. Or a bumper sticker as I call it.

Don't let her get a tramp stamp, if she gets that she will be labeled as a whore by most of the guys.

bwamos
11-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm not a parent, but I am a proud Uncle. ;)

Here's my thought. She's 14. It's time to "start" treating her like an adult. Keyword "start". Use it to teach her proper decision making. If you had a friend that was say 25 and asking you the same question, what would you say?

I'd come up with some guidelines on helping her to make good, informed decisions on her own. Then let her make the decision (on the belly ring, not a tatoo). We're learning. Mistakes may be made, let's make reversable mistakes. ;)

Have her ask herself. Why do I really want the belly ring? The real reason. Cause it's cute.. usually isn't the real answer. ;)

Probably to help her feel more "in", to give more confidence. (always about the boys).

Is that really a good way to improve confidence, or is she still going to be an underconfident girl w/ a belly piercing.

It's always about the boys... What kind of a boy is the belly piercing going to attract? Is that the attention she is going to want? Or would she rather have the attention of a higher caliber of guy.

You can guide her with some ideas of questions she can ask herself. I wouldn't demand answers.. she can be more honest with herself is she's not feeling threatened.

Perhaps you can write up a list of questions you would ask yourself and give them to her as a starting point. Leave lots of numbered blanks for questions she can add herself. Put the ball in her court.

Let her mull over it for a while. I'd personally give her a timeline of Jan 1. If she can honestly answer the questions to herself and still feel it's a good idea, and wait out the period, and still wish to get the belly piercing. Let her get one with the confidence that she's making the best rational decision she can, knowing it wasn't done in haste.

If she can't live with the timeline.. that' the first indicator that she is making a rash decision, and all the more reason to wait it out a bit so see if she's sure.

If done right it can be a great "teaching moment" in real life decision making.

11-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I actually think no belly piercing is ugly. It just looks weird with out it lol.

QuadJunkies
11-02-2007, 12:23 AM
All great suggestions Thank you :)
As for anyone who wants to label her a whore ,I think thats rather ignorant.Thats simply an personal opinion varying from each persons poor taste in perception and Im sure in may cases not factual.
Im not sure exactly how they makes a girl a whore?? Thats just brings up a whooole lotta other issues. LOL

Im sorry, but if a girl is labeled a whore cause of her piercing, there statement is not worth a damn IMO.
you dont judge a person over something like that .We could really careless what others think.lol I care more about WHY she is doing it than what others think of it. WE dont live for what everyone else thinks, or we probably wouldnt be into quads! lol

My kids have been "labeled" alot of things in there life because they have a mix of heritage. They have been called alot of things pertaining to there skin color. In some ways, I think its was for the good.Kids can be very mean and hurtful sometimes, but it also makes them stronger and more aware of how we really should treat one another and to be better people...
We have taught our kids that we dont judge people by appearance,color,size ect...
Some kids do things to fit in, others do things due to there personalities. I do think girls have a little more pressure to perfect themselves,especially to feel"pretty."
Bascially, my Daughter has a small group of freinds,as for the rest of the kids ... She could care less. lol If you ask them ,they wil tell you this also. At least I know Im doing my job as a parent on certain things.The rest is up to them ;)
Bascially what Im getting at is this .......

This is who I am.....and if you dont like...
Go pack Sand A-hole:p

Ghost-Rider
11-02-2007, 12:56 PM
All great suggestions Thank you :)
As for anyone who wants to label her a whore ,I think thats rather ignorant.Thats simply an personal opinion varying from each persons poor taste in perception and Im sure in may cases not factual.
Im not sure exactly how they makes a girl a whore?? Thats just brings up a whooole lotta other issues. LOL

Im sorry, but if a girl is labeled a whore cause of her piercing, there statement is not worth a damn IMO.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't calling her a whore or anything like that.

I was just saying, it's called a tramp stamp for a reason.

CDCHONDAS
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Not to trample any toes but its interesting today it seems parents are way to concerned about their kids feelings and their kids liking them, when I was a kid it was heres my rules of the house don't like it move out, oh thats right you have no way to do that since your under 18 and don't have enough money to get house, so deal with it. tough.

trash be being bred and raised at an all time high as far as I am concerned, their are more kids with rediculous problems that are part of growing up, just now they have a name.

I say do what you like but remember the kind of person your try to raise your kid into.

IMHO 14 is too young to get any piercings other than ears, then again when I was 12 I didn't have a cell phone, how many kids don't have a cell phone now and why.

Not that long ago you took care of kids, people now drop their kids off at the mall or wherever, then wonder why they are getting into trouble and turning into sluts before they are like 16 wtf.

Just lay down the parent law, your not your kids friend, your their parent, you do whats right for the future, not to win affection.. the end.

QuadJunkies
11-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by CDCHONDAS
Not to trample any toes but its interesting today it seems parents are way to concerned about their kids feelings and their kids liking them, when I was a kid it was heres my rules of the house don't like it move out, oh thats right you have no way to do that since your under 18 and don't have enough money to get house, so deal with it. tough.

trash be being bred and raised at an all time high as far as I am concerned, their are more kids with rediculous problems that are part of growing up, just now they have a name.

I say do what you like but remember the kind of person your try to raise your kid into.

IMHO 14 is too young to get any piercings other than ears, then again when I was 12 I didn't have a cell phone, how many kids don't have a cell phone now and why.

Not that long ago you took care of kids, people now drop their kids off at the mall or wherever, then wonder why they are getting into trouble and turning into sluts before they are like 16 wtf.

Just lay down the parent law, your not your kids friend, your their parent, you do whats right for the future, not to win affection.. the end.
Your not trampling my toes, as I have no doubt that I am a good parent. I thin my guidance has been a very positive one .I dont believe I ever said I was trying to be my kids Freind either.I dont think my parenting skills are whats up for debate here.
I do however agree with alot of what you are saying in general,seriously I do... I see this alot myself. I for one am NOT one of those parents. Im actually a somewhat strict Mom, I have expectations and ALOT of rules...
I also have for my kids what most kids these days do NOT have ...
Standards, rules,chores,grade requirements,just to name a few...
My kids are not spoiled, they earn what they get, they dont get anything just handed to them and the appreciate what they have . MY kids are not perfect by any means, but they are good kids. Sometimes they think Im too hard on them,of course.. they arekids ! lol I think we all felt that growing up. I think later in life they will thank me for being that way. My kids do not walk all over me . My kids have respect and in the long run do respect my wishes most of the time, Im sure as they get further into there teen lives, that will change. lol

My Daughter is one of the last few kids out of all her freinds that do not get to roam free on the streets all all hours,stay up until whenever she wants, who has a set time each day to have her own phone time and Internet time . We have set rules. You break Em, you lose privledges. Plain and simple .Alot of todays kids are a mess,spoiled and have no real goals in life.. I for one think that really sad..
So I guess you could say that we "lay down the law" but I dont chose to put it that way and I do try to compromise on certain things ,if and when its within reason.I do repsect there feelings as well and with sopme compromises in life, I think leads to less problems later down the road.
My kids are my life. :)

As the saying goes...
"you give and inch, they take a mile".

Not in my house!!:p

Ghost-Rider
I wasnt directing that AT you, but you must have some opinion on that comment or you wouldnt have stated that .