PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 11:26 AM
We are going to be tearing down both minis here in the next couple weeks, and were getting both mini powdercoated again. All the work on frames this year made them not looks so good right now . lol :p Im hoping thats over now .:D

We will be keeping the same colors schemes, but I would like to do something a little different on Brandons frame,maybe sometrhing a little WILD !
Any ideas?
Something thats a good combo with black and yellow .
We are going to send it off to Pappy this time.:)
We would like a colors thats not this matte finish stuff, its been a PITA to clean .Nerfs will be re-done as well.
Any suggestions would be great!
Is there any black and yellow flake?

http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/78275677.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/78275678.jpg

wvspeedfreak
10-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Tell Kenny you want the prismatic black.That is a cool color,gloss black with sparkles in it that look all different colors in the sunlight.

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Tell Kenny you want the prismatic black.That is a cool color,gloss black with sparkles in it that look all different colors in the sunlight.
I think I may have seen that before :cool:

Will it go good with the yellow?
I would want something dif. for the nerfs though, correct?

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
By golly.... I think this might even be Kennys photo too!
http://www.columbiacoatings.com/kenhill2.jpg

That is pretty sweet :devil:

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/111300034.JPG

wvspeedfreak
10-31-2007, 11:51 AM
I think that color would go well with most anything and no I don't think you would want it on the nerfs.I am sure Kenny has a picture of the prismatic black he could show you.

wvspeedfreak
10-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
By golly.... I think this might even be Kennys photo too!
http://www.columbiacoatings.com/kenhill2.jpg

That is pretty sweet :devil:

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/111300034.JPG

That's it.Pretty wild huh?

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 11:54 AM
How about the bumper?
I havent looked at the AArms or the Swinger yet, but I dont think we will need to be doing those, and will leave them black as well.
Should we add any yellow?
I cant think of anything to do yellow that would look good and not stand out too much.
I tried to find some cool yellows to do the frame and do black accents, but I cant find anything that would look good.
The nice thing too about a black color or a versatile color is we can change the plastic to just about anything.
Same with your white . :)

kenjolly
10-31-2007, 12:03 PM
My powder coat guy has as many colors as paint, if yours doesnt call me. mine cost about 250.00

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 12:32 PM
After some checking .... Looks like Brandons A-Arms and Swinger will need done as well.
Maybe we would do them in Yellow if I can find the right color.

JIM GRACE
10-31-2007, 01:46 PM
don't forget about the wheels, they really turn heads at the track.

And ditch the flat black and go with gloss black they look really

good year after year..

brandon's dad #55

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by JIM GRACE
they really turn heads at the track.

brandon's dad #55
Thats kinda the idea werelooking for this time ..WE want something eye catchy.
I always think the wheels done are pretty tirck, but how does that hold up to offroad racing?
We have went threw many wheels in the last few years :scary: :p
Does the PC hold up well to rocks and logs?
I have the stealth black that Pappy done on my quad and its very easy to clean, but this stuff we done on Brandons sucks .lol
Gloss will DEF. be on order this year.
We will have graphics installed as well this year and some new plates,those arein bad shap and cooked from the pipe .lol
BRM plates will go on again.
Your Sons a Brandon too eh? Thats funny :D

Andyman17dad
10-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that's right Black and yellow is the way to go!!

I'm thinking black/yellow flame seat cover, yellow fiberglass hood, yellow frame a-arms, swing arm...... and then a matching bike in the opposite color scheme or identical.

wait, that idea may be taken!

yellow hubs w/black wheels, or vice versa?

but let me know if you find the black w/yellow flake powder coat, I'd be all over that!!

Now I gotta work on the camper graphics!!:D

Andyman17dad
10-31-2007, 02:18 PM
then find a good location for a photo shoot!

Andyman17dad
10-31-2007, 02:25 PM
powdercoat the clutch cover? shock covers? yellow Spider grips?
P/C steerin stem? handlebars/bar pad?

Don't get me started!!

what is the box stapped to the top of the bumper? a transponder?

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Andyman17dad
powdercoat the clutch cover? shock covers? yellow Spider grips?
P/C steerin stem? handlebars/bar pad?

Don't get me started!!

what is the box stapped to the top of the bumper? a transponder?

LOL!
Yes, thats a transponder...
Should I have Pappy Coat that too! :blah: :p
J/k

Steven623
10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/623me/TravisonCobra07.jpg
On my son's quad(I know its not his DRX) I had the frame and wheels coated and they held up really good! I think it makes it easier to clean too!

Logan #34's Dad
10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Ask your pc guy for black with yellow crakle. I'm planning on doing Logans - Black w/ green crakle. GREEN RULES!!! LOL

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Ask your pc guy for black with yellow crakle. I'm planning on doing Logans - Black w/ green crakle. GREEN RULES!!! LOL
whre can I find a sample of the color?!!That sounds cool!!:cool:
I have been looking for hours online and I cant even find a decent yellow PERIOD to match his plastic:confused:

Brandon kinda wants the Green DRR plastic,we will keep this scheme, but next season Green might be on order.
Green is sweet for sure :devil: Thats Kelseys FAVE:devil:

Orange is pretty sweet too ,especiallly with a purple frame
:D

So what about Candy yellow?
Is that a pretty light color?

Steven623
10-31-2007, 10:47 PM
www.tigerdrylac.com--------- try this one???

Steven623
10-31-2007, 10:49 PM
sorry? www.tigerdrylac.com

QuadJunkies
10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Steven623
sorry? www.tigerdrylac.com
I remember calling them last season for some podwer and I cant remember what the deal was, but I could have sworn it was cause I had to buy an Ungodly amt. of powder before they could ship me any. I talked to several companies last year, but for some reason I couldnt order from them.:confused:

hotquads1
11-01-2007, 05:57 AM
when it comes to colors like yellow we have found there are many shades and they can clash and look unprofessional, so we take the accessories such as grips and match everything to that shade. A consistent yellow is the "Suzuki yellow", it is easy to match since most yellow accessories are that shade. Most powdeer can be color matched if you give them a sample. The only drawback to flake is it tends to reflect a different shade than the base actually is, so factor this in your decision.
marc

Andyman17dad
11-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Oh yeah, it is VERY tough to match all the yellows!

The hoods i got are much brighter than the frame, time was a factor when I ordered them though. He did tell me if I sent him a sample he could match it for the hoods.

The yellow on our seat covers from Verde match the DRR plastic pretty good (they match Kasea plastic really good)

Luckily once they get run a few times, they all kinda balance out by fading and getting ground in with dirt, but it is very annoying at the beginning of the season when it is all fresh.
(then again, maybe you just get used to it!!:rolleyes: )

One of the guys up here tried to get black w/red flake and it came out looking all purple, so you ave to be carefull there on mixes. Let me know, though, if you come up with a good black w/yellow flake, the new 90 needs some "lovin" this winter!

Another thing to think about is, if you use gloss black, you can always give it a quick "touch-up" with a spray can mid-season.
(a little "quick detail work"!)

JIM GRACE
11-01-2007, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I always think the wheels done are pretty tirck, but how does that hold up to offroad racing?
I have the stealth black that Pappy done on my quad and its very easy to clean, but this stuff we done on Brandons sucks .lol
We will have graphics installed as well this year and some new plates,those arein bad shap and cooked from the pipe .lol
Your Sons a Brandon too eh? Thats funny :D [/QUOTE

I showed brandon the MAXXIS article you guy's were featured in and said " look dad another Brandon with a black and yellow drx with cut front fender's":p
he thought he had the only one like that. and don't
forget the evil eyes (berik) on next year's build.. :devil:

Brandon's dad #55

QuadJunkies
11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys :)
Ill keep all the suggestions in mind.

Maybe just black Prism is the way to go since yellow is tougher. We dont want to end up like last year-1 week out before Nationals start up and no seat tme !:scary:
One thing I would like to add to Brandons this year is PC'ing the Axle like Kelseys is .That has held up VERY well and its a trick look.
That will depend on timing as well ,Brandons is bent,so when the new one comes out, we will be upgrading.OF all places it bent, it was at the dunes... lol

QuadJunkies
11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by JIM GRACE
[QUOTE]Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Your Sons a Brandon too eh? Thats funny :D [/QUOTE

I showed brandon the MAXXIS article you guy's were featured in and said " look dad another Brandon with a black and yellow drx with cut front fender's":p
he thought he had the only one like that. and don't
forget the evil eyes (berik) on next year's build.. :devil:

Brandon's dad #55

Our good freinds that race WORCS a little this year also have this color combo,until he broke his rear piece .:p lol
Make sure are post that rebuild! If money wasnt so tight this year, we would be doing more.

cz440
11-01-2007, 01:09 PM
We tried powdercoating rims this last year and it didnt hold up that well to the stones. Anodizing rims is the way to go.

QuadJunkies
11-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Thats good to know!! ^^^^
I think we will just leave the wheels for now .
One thing I AM sure of is these are on order :D
Cant resist that trick color combo !
I think we will be socking these away for a Christmas Present for Brandon,hes gonna LOVE these!
http://upload.pbase.com/image/88294901/original.jpg

QuadJunkies
11-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the graphics Marc, those will be a nice addition! :)
So can anyone tell me if a pickle fork is what we would use to remove the spindles from the A-Arms?
Thats the only thing left to take apart, then its ready to ship.

QuadJunkies
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I guess Ill give Dave Carter a call and see how to get them off.

kenjolly
11-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Since i didnt have a pickle fork i used a large tapered flat blade and a hammer , worked fine.

kenjolly
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Competition Coatings

811 W Derby Ave
Auburndale, FL 33823

(863) 968-0700

These are the guys who did Hayden's 70 and you can see how great that turned out. Give them a call

Tell them Ken sent you,mention haydens frame they will remember that better.

QuadJunkies
11-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kenjolly
Since i didnt have a pickle fork i used a large tapered flat blade and a hammer , worked fine.
TRoy tried that and still could not get them apart.
We actually have someone for doing the PC ,its Pappy ;)
But thanks for the info ! :)

QuadJunkies
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I havent priced a stock axle, but until the new race axle comes avail. I may need to buy a stock one ,Brandons is bent.
Id like to PC the Axle like we done to Kelseys, so I need one soon to ship off if its not much.What do they run in price?
My list is growing :scary: Im going to need a to buy a new Carb too, apparently the one we have is defective.

drr5
11-06-2007, 11:07 AM
ive always oosened the uts a little and carefully strike the side of the spindle at the ball joint they are tapered like a car. pickle forks are a bad idea you run the chance of tearing the boot

QuadJunkies
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by drr5
ive always oosened the uts a little and carefully strike the side of the spindle at the ball joint they are tapered like a car. pickle forks are a bad idea you run the chance of tearing the boot
Ok, thanks .
Will heating them up help?
We already tore a boot.:o
Not only do we have to get the spindles separated from the A-Arm, we have to get the ball joint out of the A-Arm.

drr5
11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
use heat as the very last resort you may need to hit them a little harder if they dont budge right away

ecmini1
11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
As drr5 stated hitt it it will come loose make sure to let it hang and the weight of the hub will help with the sepration.

QuadJunkies
11-07-2007, 12:13 AM
We will give it a try,thanks :)

QuadJunkies
11-10-2007, 01:27 PM
We have tried everything thats been mentioned.. it STILL will not come apart .
We dont want to damage the spindle-Im sure those are not a cheap replacement.
We all all torn down and ready to ship the frame, but this is holding us up.
Seems like we ALWAYS have to have something go wrong no matter how smooth you try to make things go. LOL:scary: :p

**UPDATE**
We got it!!
It just needed heated up quite abit to come loose.

QuadJunkies
11-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Frame and all its parts have been sent offto Pappy -Im so excited to see it when its done!!:blah:
Its getting ALOT of theprism done to it.
Only thing we didnt send off was the axle. Troy didnt want to mess with it this time since it will be getting replaced soon anyhow.
I really like the PCs look on the axle , OH well.
should be back Im guessing in a couple weeks.Once the motor is back he can go start doing some training hopefully before snow hits.

wvspeedfreak
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Sounds good Tina.I am getting ready to get another frame done at Kennys.Might do the prismatic black on it too.

QuadJunkies
11-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Sounds good Tina.I am getting ready to get another frame done at Kennys.Might do the prismatic black on it too.
COOL-I cant wait to see it!:cool: