PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild question

jimmy7120
10-31-2007, 10:26 AM
I have been debating on rebuilding, and upgrading my 400 to a 416 by myself or paying to have it done. I have basic mechinical knowledge, and have sucessfully torn down the top end to replace top end gaskets, and seems fairly straight forward.

My question is if I get into the bottom of the motor is that a whole other ball game, or fairly straight forward as well. I know I will have to have my HD studs machined in and piston and cylinder work done at a shop, but can I do the labor?

Thanks for any advice,
Jimmy

400exMO
10-31-2007, 12:27 PM
buy a clymers manual, u'll be able to tell if ur getting in over ur head then.

JBDIV
10-31-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree with 4ooexmo -- That is a good start. Also, you need to think about your supply of tools, do you have feeler gauges, torqe wrenches etc. You are going to need them....

jimmy7120
10-31-2007, 03:19 PM
I will read up about the bottom end. I have the manual, torque wrench, feeler gauges, and a few other tools. I was just seeing if someone was going to say that the bottom end is like night and day compared to the top end or something.

Thanks for the responses

JOEX
10-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Replacing the piston, rings and boring the cylinder is considered 'top end work'.

Going from a 400 to a 416 is considered a 'top end rebuild'. It'll involve removing the head and cylinder (also called the 'jug').

Getting into the tranny and crank is the 'bottom end'. Getting into this part of the motor is very different.

skatrdude20
11-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Listen, I have always been aronds bike and quads. I never had a problem with top-ends or anything, but the bottom end and trannys have always intimidated me. This was until this year when I broke an inner case and lashed my 2nd gear and had to remove everything. If you concentrate, take your time, and read your manuel, the whole bottom end will not be that hard for you.

rdwelch
11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
If you like to work on things and have patience, and don't mind screwing up every now and then, then you might be alright doing the work yourself. On the other hand, it sure is nice to pay a professional, who then has to guarantee his work, and has all the right tools... ;)

prnstr4life
11-15-2007, 07:26 PM
i did mine in a day, high comp piston and stage 2 cam. but then again i work with cars all day