PDA

View Full Version : Kid started Cali Fires

firefighterjosh
10-31-2007, 03:41 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/31/fire.california/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A juvenile playing with matches started a Southern California wildfire that wound up scorching more than 38,000 acres and destroying 63 structures, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said Tuesday.

A firefighter talks on a radio while battling the Buckweed blaze on October 22.

The Buckweed Fire began about 2 p.m. (5 p.m. ET) on October 21 in the Agua Dulce community.

Authorities immediately began an investigation, and a day later identified the male juvenile as a suspect, according to a report issued by the sheriff's department.

"After talking with the suspect, he admitted playing with matches and starting the fire," the report said.

The boy, whose name and age were not given, was released to the custody of his parents, police said. The case will be presented to the Los Angeles County district attorney for possible charges.

Don't Miss
In Depth: California Wildfires
According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, the Buckweed Fire burned 38,526 acres.

Sixty-three structures, 21 of them homes, were destroyed, and three civilians and two firefighters were injured.

The sheriff's department said the fire forced the evacuation of about 15,000 people from their homes.

As of Tuesday, 18 of 23 wildfires in Southern California were 100 percent contained, and the remainder were at least 70 percent contained, according to the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

The fires are blamed for 14 deaths and charred a total of more than 508,000 acres, destroying about 1,600 homes. E-mail to a friend

spdygonzalez450
10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
the fires were crazy. It was gross down here, I live in san diego and the fires took their toll on a lot of people. it was so bad, but thanks to the fireman that did an amazing job. what a smart kid haha

jcv400ex
10-31-2007, 10:36 AM
With all the stuff going on...is there hard evidence, or someone just putting the blame on the kid??? Is he their escape goat?? Did they interview every kid in the town that was playing with matches that day???

mineralgrey01gt
10-31-2007, 12:05 PM
ive read the kid confessed to playing with matches and starting the fire.

Ghost-Rider
10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Wow......

Robin Hood
10-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Wow......

X2

chris46250r
10-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
ive read the kid confessed to playing with matches and starting the fire.

Dang. He is double stupid.

Robin Hood
10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm just wonderin what they could even do to him? I mean, they could throw him in jail or something but he just burned down half of Cali and cause irreversible damage worth billions of dollars. I hope for his sake that Bill Gates is his father.

chris46250r
10-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
I'm just wonderin what they could even do to him? I mean, they could throw him in jail or something but he just burned down half of Cali and cause irreversible damage worth billions of dollars. I hope for his sake that Bill Gates is his father.

The little turd was probabaly on welfare and his parents will sue all of us since we paid for the dang matches.