PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cam installation?

05trx400exridr
10-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Im planning on putting a cam in my 400ex but first I want to make sure I won't be in over my head when trying to install it.

Is it a fairly simple process once you have the directions that come with the new camshaft? Are there any hidden catches to getting it in? I'll either be going with a hotcam stage 1 or 2, so I wont be changing valve springs or anything.

I've never torn my topend apart and I just want to get a little confirmation that its a fairly simple process, or possibly a few pointers. If any, what steps did you guys have trouble with? I searched and couldn't find a writeup on a cam installation, so if anyone knows of one that would be great too.

Big - D Racing
10-30-2007, 11:52 PM
It's simple, remove plastics, gas tank, than the valve cover. THere you will find your cam. Remove the cam chain tensioner on the side of the cylinder. there are 2 bolts holding the stock cam on the cam sprocket remove them and take off the cam. Put on the new cam. Might want to get a new valve cover gasket. Don't forget to adjust your valves which isn't hard and u can find many articles on how to do that. Best bet buy a service manual which has great descriptions as well as pictures.

05trx400exridr
10-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey thanks, I didn't figure it would be a real big deal but I wanted to make sure. Does something need to be done with a compression release mechanism, or do I just leave everything in there and stick in the new cam?

Big - D Racing
11-01-2007, 12:34 AM
i'm not sure with the hot cams. I run a web cam which doesn't use the stock decompression. That is attached to your cam if your hot cam requires it just remove it from the stocker and put it on the hot cam. The hot cam directions will tell you rather or not to reuse it.

11-01-2007, 02:02 PM
make sure you double or triple check your bolts and timing. my brother had a bolt loose the 1st time so he needed a new head because the bolt came loose and messed up the insde. then with the new head the timing was a little off so he was flying through the trails with me and i notice he's no where to be found. his motor just made a loud noise and stopped because the valve broke off and went through is brand new high compression piston. all because of the timing. so make sure you check your work, thats my best advice.

Big - D Racing
11-01-2007, 02:29 PM
very true, and use blue thread locker on those 2 cam bolts so they don't come loose like they did with his brother. That would suck if they did, manual doers say to apply thread locker. Could have saved him a lot of money.

bigredisb
03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I have a quick and easy question,
Does the HotCam come with bearings installed on the cam? I was ready to pull the trigger on buying one but someone on ebay left a negative feedback to honda of troy because the cam came with no bearings installed. I didnt think our cam had journal bearings on it just one on the end near the sprocket?

This may be a dumb question but I am on the road so I dont have access to me clymers.

Anyways give me a quick heads up before I pull the trigger.
Thanks Gents!

rlb21chevy
03-07-2009, 08:13 AM
the hot cam does not use the decompression mechanism. no matter what anyone tells you just take out the spring and pin thing that will be in there after the cam comes out. put them with the old cam cause you might want to reuse old cam some day and you will need them again. some people will tell you its fine to leave them in there but hot cam says take it out so no since in taking a chance in them falling down in the engine.