PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for a PV?

guggi102
10-30-2007, 07:45 PM
I just picked up a brand new pro x power valve. Its a 265 I was told (piston is 66.34mm) and is brand new. I got the Pro cross head with changeable dome, piston setup, all gaskets, PV and everything brand new for 900. This was a Higgins Power Sport setup when they had a atv race team. Has alot alot alot of porting and what not. I think I got a pretty good deal. Cant wait to break it in and then try it out. Hopefully before the season ends. Whats everyone running for a carb with a 265 pv, LRD pipe? I have a lectron on it now and am not 100% sure how to go about rejetting it.

deathman53
10-30-2007, 08:25 PM
hate to break it to you, but a 66.34mm bore isn't even a 250cc. To get a TRUE 265, your bore needs to be 100 over(68.5mm). What most consider a 265 is really a 263cc, most 310's are 293cc's and 330's are 326cc.

guggi102
10-30-2007, 08:37 PM
The piston is a pro-x 4402a. it says cr250 86-96 and rm250 96-97 on the box with a 66.34mm STD below that. Wrong piston for the cylinder? Its La sleeve pro x part # N252PV....

yfzttracer76
10-31-2007, 06:48 AM
i had a kehin 38 pwk on my 265 pv cylinder, it has slightly bettter throttle response then the 39. I only jetted it once and i raced it for like 2 years

Aceman
10-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by guggi102
The piston is a pro-x 4402a. it says cr250 86-96 and rm250 96-97 on the box with a 66.34mm STD below that. Wrong piston for the cylinder? Its La sleeve pro x part # N252PV....

I think you mean a 4420a piston. Your not going to be at 265cc with that cylinder until you hit your 8th bore. Looks like that cylinder has about 10 overbores, double what my pro-x 310 has.:grr:

guggi102
10-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes the piston is a 4402A. So basically its a 250cc then correct? I still think I got a pretty good price on it, its brand new and is ported to Chris's specs from higgins when he raced.

cdrookie
10-31-2007, 08:48 PM
every PV cylinder is overpriced. if it was $.02 it would still be too much money.

Creech52
10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
^^^?????

cdrookie
11-01-2007, 04:05 AM
a 'powervalve' is probably the most misunderstood thing on this forum. if you want a bike that runs like a stock blaster with a rag stuck in it's muffler, get a powervalved cylinder, especially only a 265, the big bores are a little better...

fireburns99
11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
a 'powervalve' is probably the most misunderstood thing on this forum. if you want a bike that runs like a stock blaster with a rag stuck in it's muffler, get a powervalved cylinder, especially only a 265, the big bores are a little better...
Are you serious?? The big-bores are the ones that need them less, since they already make more torque. I know everyone has their own opinions, but if it still has 10 overbores you got a nice deal on a brand new cylinder. Enjoy.

jon370r
11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I didn't see it anywhere but I would have to guess that this 250 PV cylinder is aluminum nickle plated bore and any rebuild requiring a new bore job will cost a mint. I had a 250 PV cylinder and it ran great. It just didn't have anywhere near the torque I like, but if your in a race class that needs to be 250cc I would highly recommend.

250r4life
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie

im really thinking you also were dropped on your head repeatedly as a child...

cdrookie
11-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by fireburns99
Are you serious?? The big-bores are the ones that need them less, since they already make more torque. I know everyone has their own opinions, but if it still has 10 overbores you got a nice deal on a brand new cylinder. Enjoy.

yep, serious. the big bore PV's are more impressive than the small bores, just like i said. but as you said... IMO

250r4life
11-01-2007, 05:43 PM
the stock piston is a 66mm, at 246ccs... so yes, you are a ways away from the 265... however, i wouldnt worry too much about it... most of your gain is going to be from the superior porting and etc of that cylinder over your stock one... i dont think the cc's makes all that much difference...

i had a 265 (with a wiseco racer's choice 68mm piston- so actually a 261) and that sucker screamed...

cdrookie
11-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
im really thinking you also were dropped on your head repeatedly as a child...

nope, never dropped on my head. just someone who likes acceleration.

yfzttracer76
11-01-2007, 08:10 PM
idk i thought my 265 duncan pv cylinder was awsome

Creech52
11-01-2007, 08:52 PM
cdrookie, you are a douche bag, yes you. If powervalves are so worthless why now in this century are they still being made, for ****s sake they were in all the race bikes in the 90's and I guess no one figured out that they suck, I mean how many generations of 2 stroke dirtbikes were made without powervalves, I guess they were all just to fast and needed a motor with a rag stuffed in the exhaust. Dont get me wrong Ive rode plenty of banshees and yes the hit is nice but something smoother wouldnt hurt. You really have no idea what you are talking about do you??? Its nice to just come in and rag on people that have spent quality money on something that is proven time and time again to be a good thing. Well im gonna lay off for now because Ive drank a bit and I dont want to go totally out of control as this is a family oriented forum.

cdrookie
11-02-2007, 04:04 AM
creech, you're a class act, and you said so in your post. i applaud you. a dirt bike and an atv are two completely different animals, apples and oranges. BTW, honda never had a powervalved cylinder on their 250r. i guess their engineers didn't know what they were doing?

dude asked on a public forum peoples opinion, i gave him mine. i know everyone is better/faster/smarter/wiser/better looking/and makes more money that me, and everyone of you can kick my *** for sure... but my opinion that powervalves are overrated won't change. you're in PA also creech, please come and change my mind.

mxduner
11-03-2007, 11:58 AM
those powervalves really suck on my sled to,thats why they keep using them:confused:

mxduner
11-03-2007, 12:00 PM
I just picked up a brand new pro x power valve. Its a 265 I was told (piston is 66.34mm) and is brand new. I got the Pro cross head with changeable dome, piston setup, all gaskets, PV and everything brand new for 900. This was a Higgins Power Sport setup when they had a atv race team. Has alot alot alot of porting and what not. I think I got a pretty good deal. Cant wait to break it in and then try it out. Hopefully before the season ends. Whats everyone running for a carb with a 265 pv, LRD pipe? I have a lectron on it now and am not 100% sure how to go about rejetting it. you got a great deal on that.enjoy it.

Scott-300ex
11-07-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm never going to get a PV. I like the snap and the surprise.

That sounds like a good cylinder if you got good port work on it though man.

250r4life
11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
I'm never going to get a PV. I like the snap and the surprise.

but just think- if you had a PV you could do 7th gear wheelies instead of only in 6th :devil:

C-LEIGH RACING
11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
You guys are cracking me up with this P/V cylinder deal :rolleyes: :D I guess you, that dont like them, never had one that was ported right, or, rode one with a pro port job.

If you had one & it didnt perform like you thought it should have, it wasnt the cylinder to blame check with who ever ported it.
Neil

guggi102
11-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Well this is cylinder is by far the most professionally done cylinder I have had, and my past two have been ported as well. REP out of springfield did one of mine. And my other was John Dowd's 1996 YZ125...... probably average porting....:devil: :D

Creech52
11-08-2007, 12:21 AM
How is comparing dirt bikes to atvs different as far as powervalves go? Which 2 stroke machine had more technology pumped into it, therefore the dirtbike engines were made far more superior then the quad 2 strokes. As to why honda didnt put a PV motor in the R, well lets see they just slapped a 2 stroke in there and went, for what 3-4 years. If they had more time the bike would have evolved much like the racers that raced them after production stopped and were slapping PV cylinders on them.

Please dont call me out..How would you like me to change your mind? If your set in your ways then your set in your ways. I am simply trying to imply your points of why PVs suck is really pointless because it gets rid of the most annoying part of a 2 stroke, the short peaky powerband. Its not because we dont want thrill, we want more useable power from bottom to top which a PV gives. "hit" is irrelevant, think of it as sex, a normal two stroke is a 2 sec. orgasm, while a PV gives you all the pleasure leading to it along with a longer orgasm....which is worse?

cdrookie
11-08-2007, 06:38 AM
well, if you hadn't started with the name calling maybe i wouldn't have called you out? and you're right you can't change my mind, but calling me names was ?????

a dirt bike weights half as much and has a much smaller tire contact patch. having only 2 wheels and a wildly spinning rear tire can become a handful in certain situations for most of the riding public. i THINK it was around 85-86(?)when the manufacturers started really looking into smother power delivery so their bikes could be more controllable.

and suzuki went to a powervalved cylinder in 87 on their Qracer, kawasaki had their KIPS setup on the tecate 4 from the get go. i think honda had time to go PV on their 88's if they wanted to.

and lets compare a 2 stroke to getting your head cut off(instead of an orgasm). long and drawn out or quick and sudden...

250r4life
11-08-2007, 09:24 AM
“What you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent answer did you approach anything even close to an answer. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having heard it. You are awarded no points, and may God have mercy on your soul”.

Creech52
11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
and lets compare a 2 stroke to getting your head cut off(instead of an orgasm). long and drawn out or quick and sudden...

Both ways would be bad and painful, where as my comparison, both are pleasurable just one more then the other...

Whatever im dropping it.

atvmxr
11-08-2007, 10:53 AM
all i know is that the snauz berries taste like snauz berries :huh

:D

guggi102
11-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I did not buy the PV with the intention of getting some massive power gain. I bought it because I know the port work is top notch and that everyone says its smooth power. There is a reason people say its easier to be faster on the 450's because they are so smooth. I am hoping its predictable, smooth power. Anyway, I got the cylinder, but the guy ordered the wrong actual valve so I am hunting for the correct valve. I was told its the same as a sled?

woodsracer144
11-19-2007, 07:00 PM
LMFAO... i dont want to have sex for only 2 seconds... that would suck.. if word got out on that you would be out of having sex for ever...

rustyATV
11-22-2007, 10:52 AM
I did not buy the PV with the intention of getting some massive power gain. I bought it because I know the port work is top notch and that everyone says its smooth power. There is a reason people say its easier to be faster on the 450's because they are so smooth. I am hoping its predictable, smooth power. Anyway, I got the cylinder, but the guy ordered the wrong actual valve so I am hunting for the correct valve. I was told its the same as a sled?

You're adding a powervalve for the right reason; widening the power curve rather than increasing the peak. Wider and smoother power, though it feels slower, is more tractable and less fatiguing. The only people who wouldn't feel like they'd benefit from a wider power spread would be drag racers.

With the proper squish clearance, powervalve motors can be quite impressive. I rode a powervalved R set up for MX with just 265cc's, but 230lbs of compression; when I tried to kill the motor by dumping the clutch in first gear with the front (but not rear) brakes on, it just kept putt'ing away, turning the tires.

guggi102
11-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I am currently breaking in my PV. I am done with 5 heat cycles, 2 10-15 minute 1/4 throttle runs, 2 10-15 minute 1/2 throttle runs and 1 10 minute 3/4 throttle. I figure one more time at under 3/4 throttle for about 10 minutes, check all bolts and let her go. I am already impressed. I currently have the 18cc or 20cc dome and will be dropping down to the 16cc race dome. I dont mind paying for race gas to get the bottom end I hope to from the added compression.

The OEM head nuts are capped, and there was no washer to go underneath so when i tightened them down the knocked off the caps. So now I have a slight coolant leak around the studs. So I ordered fresh head nuts with copper crush washers and hope that takes care of my probelm.

Thanks all for the greatly amusing post!:devil: